Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

monsoon

Southern Trivial Pursuit

monsoon    0

We had a lot of success with this in the old Carolina's section before we decided to reorganize so I thought that I would ressurect it here.

Some of the other sections have a photo of the day, lets try something a little different.

Trivial fact of the day. Don't worry if more than one/day gets posted.

monsoon    0

Ok, I will start.

Horry County (Myrtle Beach) at over 1134 square miles is geographically the largest county in the United States East of the Mississippi river.

Spartan    682

So that's why they had a big peach water tower off of I-85.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

lol, yeah :) Thats Gaffney's claim to fame :lol:

ATLman1    0

John Pemberton, the inventor of Coca Cola formula, was actually from Columbus. He invented it in Columbus and then moved to Atlanta. So Columbus is the original city for the birth of Coke, not Atlanta. Unfortunately, Columbus didn't have the opportunity to be blessed with Coca Cola HQ. Columbus does have some of the largest stockholders of Coke, the Turner family. They are in Forbes Magazine every year. Pemberton is buried in Linwood Cemetery in Columbus.

Brickell    0

Speaking of Coca-Cola...

Quincy, a sleepy panhandle town, was once one of the richest cities in Florida thanks to buying stock early in the company's history.

from: http://www.flausa.com/experience/tours/city/tltwo.php

Quincy, located west of Tallahassee off Highway 90, is known at the "City that Coca-Cola Built" because of the many residents who invested early on in the stock. In fact, 68% of all Coke stock was once held by Quincy citizens. Stock market success is evident in the grand homes downtown, many of which are now bed and breakfasts. Centered around a square, the downtown is a Nationally Registered Historic District.

zed    0

Some geography facts..

Mt. Mitchell in NC (elevation 6684') is the highest point east of the Mississippi River.

Britton Hill (elevation 345'), Florida's highest point, is the lowest state highpoint in the nation.

Spartan    682

• There are 55 streets in Georgia with the name "Peachtree" in it.

• Florida has a location with "null gravity." this means that if you sit a ball on the hill, it will roll upwards. There are only two or three of these places in the world. Its also illegal to "test" the null gravity.

Brickell    0

• Florida has a location with "null gravity." this means that if you sit a ball on the hill, it will roll upwards. There are only two or three of these places in the world. Its also illegal to "test" the null gravity.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

are you referring to spook hill in lake wales?

http://historiclakewales.com/spookhill/

i've tried it... it's mildly interesting at best.

Brickell    0

A trip down 27 through the heartland of Florida is a great trip to do. Besides Spook Hill, there's Bok Tower, 2 Citrus towers, a new cypress gardens, miles and miles of orange groves, a lot of natural areas for birding and wildlife viewing, extending sprawl :angry:, goat milk fudge, lake ockeechobee, some cool cities too.

Maybe I should do a Highway 27 road trip similar to what Heckles did for 41.

Anyway, to stay on topic.

South Florida is the only place in the world where alligators and crocodiles live in the same place naturally.

Brickell    0

that's another thing i noticed in SC. it seemed that every 3rd car had a the palmetto sticker on the back. i like it though. if florida had something that cool i'd sure stick on my car as well.

Spartan    682

In 1700 a law passed by the S.C. General Assembly established a provincial library in Charles Town, making it the America's first public library.

Spartan    682

St. Augustine, FL is America's oldest city founded in 1565 by the Spanish. It was founded forty-two years before the English colony at Jamestown, Virginia, and fifty-five years before the Pilgrims landed on Plymouth Rock in Massachusetts.

St. Augustine History

Spartan    682

Founded in 1770 and chartered in 1785, the College of Charleston is the oldest institution of higher education in the state of South Carolina and the thirteenth oldest in the United States.

The founders of the College included three signers of the Declaration of Independence and three fathers of the United States Constitution.

The Parthenon in Nashville was originally made out of temporary materials for a world fair that was located in Nashville. When it came time to tear it down, the city leaders liked it so much that they rebuilt it out of sturdier materials.

It was built to represent Nashville's nickname "The Athens of the South."