• Announcements

• Neo

WARNING!   07/26/16

By reading or participating in the Coffee House forum, you are acknowledging that some topics may be highly controversial in nature. While we make every attempt to ensure that no one and no groups are offended as a result of discussions contained within, we unfortunately can make no guarantees. Participate in threads contained within this forum at your own risk.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

skysdalimit

Charlotte Observation Tower

I thought I would just start a thread about a possible uptown observation tower. You guys come up with designs and then we'll vote on the best ones. This is purely for fun, so go at it! When you show us your design, please include specifics, such as tower height and your approximate estimated cost of building it.

Have fun and be creative!

Um, well, since you asked, and I had a few spare minutes, here's a proposal...

This mixed-use complex would feature a 30-story condo tower, 35-story office tower, and entertainment 'tower' featuring an art gallery, musuem dedicated to the history of Uptown, and of course, the observation deck, which would soar to 1000 feet at its highest point.

The office's anchor tenant would be, well DUH, The Charlotte OBSERVER. The tower would be known as the Observer Tower.

Here's a rendering that took me about 5 minutes (three of those minutes were how long it took for the damn drawing software to load up)...

wacky.jpg

For the tower to get the best views you really need to put it just outside the downtown loop.

Locations I would suggest....

Between 5th and Trade next to I-77...this would put it on the future Street Car route.

Somewhere in Belmont as part of the redevelopment of that neighborhood.

In the Noah Lazes area at the intersection of Brookshire and 77.

I also think the neat place would be on Lake Normon...that way you get views of the Lake...downtown...and the Mountains.

Here's a little sketch of a tower that I thought would look cool. I'm not an artist, so go easy. I tried to incorporate the Space Needle and the CN Tower, with a kind of crown looking thing.

b2d53144.jpg

You can use the opensource program The Gimp to process photos. It is as sophisticated as Photoshop and completely free. Because it is complicated and geared towards a more technical crowd, it does take a little work to figure out how to use. Most of my photos displayed on UrbanPlanet were processed on it.

the GIMP for Windows