Where else would you live?

Spartan

What other SC city would you live in besides Greenville, Columbia or Charleston?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. What other SC city would you live in besides Greenville, Columbia or Charleston?

• Aiken/North Augusta
    • Anderson
    • Beaufort
    • Conway
    • Darlington/Hartsville
    • Florence
    • Georgetown
    • Myrtle Beach
    • Monck's Corner
    • Orangeburg
    • Rock Hill
    • Spartanburg
    • Sumter
    • Walterboro
    • Other

If you had to move from where you are now, and you could not choose Greenville, Columbia, or Charleston, what city would you choose? Keep in mind that the immediate metro area places like Mauldin, Easley, Lexington, Blythewood, Summerville, and Goose Creek don't count! Also, tell us why you chose that city, and if you Chose "other" please tell us the city too.

Also, I've noticed this section has been rather slow lately. Feel free to bre creative with your thread ideas. We can talk about more than current events ;)

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would probably choose either Pickens/Dacusville/Pumpkintown or Abbeville. I really love the foothills in northern Pickens county and have become very well acquainted with that whole area over the past 5 years, because I've got many friends living there currently. The reason I would also look at Abbeville, is because I love the historical feel and southern charm I've experienced there, not to mention the beautiful pastoral countryside that surrounds the town. :)

What is appealing about Monck's Corner?

You guys aren't saying why you want to live there :)

I chose Beaufort. It seems like a nice small town. It has beaches, it has some history, its also near enough to Savannah and Charleston that I could make day trips to either city.

Georgetown is a great little town. In the last 20 years they have come a long ways in renovating the downtown area. It has a riverwalk park that is fronted by many small businesses and restaurants. There is a great deal of historic architecture there that is very similar to that found in Charleston. And it has a lot of access to water. Beaches, the Intercoastal and of course the water right in town are perfect for all kinds of outdoor activities. Plus Myrtle Beach and Charleston are not that far away if you want something larger to go to. Unlike Charleston, housing there has not yet reached stratospheric levels and is still in reach of a middle class income.

Not much remembered now, Georgetown was the center of rice production in the United States. Prior to the beginning of the 20th century rice was grown all over coastal SC, and was one of its biggest crops. Georgetown has the Rice Museum which is a good place to learn all about this forgotten history. Recently, efforts have been made to ressurect SC's rice industry and you can now buy what was once considered some of the finest rice in the world.

Carolina Gold Rice

I have to choose Aiken, since I don't technically live there anymore, with Beaufort and Georgetown as close 2nd and 3rd... From my experience (I haven't fully explored all of the listed cities) the three cities I chose all embody the Old Southern charm and style and have nice historic areas. I love the natural beauty and history of the lowcountry towns, and Beaufort and Georgetown have both undergone a downtown renaissance to restore their former glory and vibrancy.

However, I had to put Aiken above the two because I truly feel it has a unique beauty that can't be emulated in any other SC town. Also, the larger size and amenities of the city helps. Downtown Aiken is extremely active and most of the locals actually have pride in their downtown, which is pretty rare for southern cities of any size... There's just something about having to stop at a red light on the busiest street in town to let a group of horses cross, complete with riders decked out in full equestrian garb... I just really don't think that too many other towns/cities in SC have successfully retained the southern laid back sophistication that Aiken has maintained, even with solid growth...

I have never heard of Carolina Gold Rice. I will have to order some of that once I get my own place, and I can cook :)

South Carolina's main exports in the antebellum days were cotton, wheat, rice, and indigo. Maybe a few others... can't recall. Anyay, several of Columbia's planned streets were named for these products although some were renamed or never constructed as planned.

SC's former nickname was "The Indigo State."

I think that most South Carolinians have a great deal of state pride and hometown pride. Most towns drive through have tried to fix up their downtowns and older homes. SC's "palmetto" merchandise is second only to the Texas Lone Star in sales.

One town that I think is highly underrated is Kingstree- just up the Black River from Georgetown. I went there a few weeks ago, and it was a great small town. Alot of the old houses were being fixed up, and the downtown/main st was pretty nice. Its a shame its so far removed from everything.

Horry, Mullens, Georgetown, Williamsburg, Marion counties were great producers of Tobacco and Turpentine. Turpentine is produced from conifers of which there are plenty in this part of the state. Most of this was shipped out through Conway which is an inland port city on the Wacamaw river.

I chose Beaufort for the same reasons as Spartan...namely that it is a coastal town. From what I hear, Beaufort seems to be an up and coming growth area. That's probably because of the insane real estate prices in my hometown.

However, I would also choose Myrtle Beach for the same reason, and it is more modern than Beaufort. I'd probably pick Rock Hill as well, considering that it IS a Charlotte suburb.

• 1 month later...

You can count my 'other' vote for Abbeville. And Antreville and Levelland, too, and Due West. I like the whole county.

The countryside is just some of the prettiest in the state to my eyes, and there's so much land, a man could really spread out up there, have some sheep, and may grow apples. That would be nice.

You can count my 'other' vote for Abbeville.  And Antreville and Levelland, too, and Due West.  I like the whole county.

The countryside is just some of the prettiest in the state to my eyes, and there's so much land, a man could really spread out up there, have some sheep, and may grow apples.  That would be nice.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Abbeville is indeed a beatiful town, besides York & Pendleton it is my favorite historic upstate town.

Archived