North Hills / Midtown area developments

DigitalSky

Aw man that is the site of the not so long ago Oak City diner. It was a greasy spoon ala Finches or Watkins and was popular with the early Five Points Indy crowd (and me too when I lived up the hill on Noble). 

Centre Group built some townhouses and that little brick shopping center on Whitaker Mill. Their stuff is high quality. Not sure why this never took off. 

In today's N&O

North Hills expansion plans get OK from citizens advisory council:

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/counties/wake-county/article128386434.html#navlink=SecList

Kane:
"up to 1.3 million square feet of office space, 125,000 square feet of retail space, 2,100 residential units, 950 hotel rooms and 450 senior-living units"

Dewitt Carolinas:
up to 20 stories on a roughly 21-acre site between Kane’s property and the North Raleigh Hilton off Wake Forest Road

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Looking in my crystal ball...I think in due time Downtown will get it's 40+ tower and Kane is the guy that will pull it off. He is relatively young, and has massive resources and he commits all of those resources to Raleigh and he tries to do it in ways the actually improve the urban nature of where he is building. Obviously Smokey Hollow and NH far east have a ways to go, but he'll be ready to keep on pushing when those are done...

• Like 1

It was a year ago I was here and there are even more buildings and apartments now. This is the highest density mixed used project between DC and Atlanta. It is truly the 2nd downtown of Raleigh.  The new Midtown Plaza and new Park Central apartments and the now completed AC by Marriott hotel with its rooftop bar (and it is very nice up there!) Photos from today.  And I have no doubt Kane will build the Tower 4. 

DSCN2617.JPG

DSCN2620.JPG

DSCN2627.JPG

DSCN2631.JPG

DSCN2633.JPG

DSCN2634.JPG

DSCN2640.JPG

DSCN2642.JPG

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, Jones_ said:

Thanks for the pics! Also the Allscripts tower is newly completed (or very nearly completed) 

I saw office workers coming in and out of it so maybe they have moved in and the parking garage on a couple floors looked full. Check out that rooftop bar on top floor of the AC hotel. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Not apart of Kane's North Hills Midtown project but further down St Albans Drive. Mixed use development here could be up  to 20 stories. https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2017/07/18/raleigh-real-estate-partners-pay-16-million-for.html?ana=e_ae_set1&s=article_du&ed=2017-07-18&u=oAaDx%2B74FoP4qOJ%2By4AU6dhJPpc&t=1500406948&j=78566891

• Like 1

I think I read on the Kane article about all of this development, that the two projects would be coordinating somehow, someway. Also, traffic on St Albans and Hardimont will be super hella bad if something isn't done to mitigate....connect Quail Hollow through to Navaho...minor beltline interchange at Navaho (like how Brentwood is)...something...the lack of real street grid is going to come home to roost big time here. 

• 3 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, NcSc74 said:

Wonder why no project like this has sprung up around 485 in Charlotte?  I know about Ballentyne but I'm talking about massed height like North Hills.

If i'm not mistaken this project is the most dense development between Atlanta and DC. The views of NHE from 440 at night are remarkable. Kudos to John Kane for having the vision to put all of this into motion.

3 hours ago, NcSc74 said:

Wonder why no project like this has sprung up around 485 in Charlotte?  I know about Ballentyne but I'm talking about massed height like North Hills.

Midtown at North Hills IS the most dense suburban development between DC and Atlanta nothing comes close not even in Charlotte. Our uptown/downtown has 3x the office space that downtown Raleigh has yet the Triangle office market is only slightly smaller than Charlotte. Basically we build them tall in uptown because our anchor tenants want it and our suburbs are less dense around 485 than Raleigh. As pointed out 440 is much closer to downtown Raleigh than 485 is to uptown Charlotte. Personally I love North Hills area but I wish their were more high rises in downtown Raleigh. 

• Like 3

Former Charlottean here. Charlotte has Southpark, which similar to North Hills in that office buildings and residential grew up around a mall area. It's on on 485 and is a little closer to uptown, almost as close as NH is to downtown:

This is an older photo, there are more midrises now:

South-Park-Business.jpg

Plus a lot of dense residential is growing close to uptown Charlotte, in Southend along the light rail line:

p953545439-4.jpg

There's a couple more 10+ building going up here that aren't in this photo. 485, compared to 440, is just so far outside the city so other than a few office park buildings there's no height in developments there. North Hills is like a more compact version of Sandy Springs or Dunwoody on the Atlanta perimeter. 

That South Park picture looks more like the Forum area of Raleigh or the Falls of Neuse mid-rise office stretch from Duke Hospital to about Millbrook Road. There are several of these in each direction from here.

RE the stuff along the south end rail line, holy cow....that's pretty incredible.  I wonder how livable that area is...ground floor retail being included in many of those?

57 minutes ago, Jones_ said:

That South Park picture looks more like the Forum area of Raleigh or the Falls of Neuse mid-rise office stretch from Duke Hospital to about Millbrook Road. There are several of these in each direction from here.

RE the stuff along the south end rail line, holy cow....that's pretty incredible.  I wonder how livable that area is...ground floor retail being included in many of those?

Yes ground floor retail in about half of those apartment complexes especially along Camden which runs parallel to South Blvd and the light rail line. Come down for a tour and I will buy you a Blaze pizza under the Camden Gallery apartments. 

The tallest building in suburban Charlotte not uptown or Southend is only 14 stories and it is in the SouthPark mall area. In Ballantyne there are 5 10 story buildings but that is it.  The pink building in the SouthEnd shot is the 25 story Arlington condo tower and the pink is called Desert Rose LOL 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Jones_ said:

The lady and I are talking about another Charlotte beer weekend sometime...we did NoDa area last time so Southend it'll be. Will take you up on that pizza 

Yeah just take the light rail down to Band St or East/West Blvd station. But they have torn down my favorite places in Southend (Common Market, Phat Burrito) for a new midrise tower that's going up. I've lived here in Raleigh since mid-2011 so even I don't recognize Southend Charlotte any more.

7 hours ago, InitialD said:

Yeah just take the light rail down to Band St or East/West Blvd station. But they have torn down my favorite places in Southend (Common Market, Phat Burrito) for a new midrise tower that's going up. I've lived here in Raleigh since mid-2011 so even I don't recognize Southend Charlotte any more.

So I just looked up Common Market....this is what is 100% wrong with the current trends....that was a kick ass, thriving spot and somebody...presumably an out of town somebody, decides they want to build where it's "hot", and then remove exactly the things that make it a good area in the first place. If Raleigh and Charlotte had any huevos at all they'd step in and say, no way, eff you, you're no tearing out our soul.