North Hills / Midtown area developments

DigitalSky

1 hour ago, Jones_ said:

So I just looked up Common Market....this is what is 100% wrong with the current trends....that was a kick ass, thriving spot and somebody...presumably an out of town somebody, decides they want to build where it's "hot", and then remove exactly the things that make it a good area in the first place. If Raleigh and Charlotte had any huevos at all they'd step in and say, no way, eff you, you're no tearing out our soul. 

It is reopening soon about 5 blocks away from the last location which will be a 8 story office building. In terms of the Phat Burrito an early SouthEnd landmark he closed but that was his own doing. Asana a local developer bought that building and several more for new retail shops in the area.  How about this where the little bar stayed and the apartments were built around it? Got international attention in Charlotte's Plaza Midwood neighborhood. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4556586/Thirsty-Beaver-bar-staves-new-development-NC.html

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

1 hour ago, DPK said:

Hopefully that ends up being more "urban" in nature similar to North Hills and they don't have huge setbacks and islands of parking.

Well, the developer/owner got this rezoned into areas for 5, 7, 12, and 20 floor buildings  (taller as you get closer to the Beltline).  With this being north raleigh, everyone drives everywhere and usually 1 person per car.  So taller buildings = more parking = parking decks and not surface parking.  

Nifty how Quail Hollow doesn't get punched through until Phase 4. I guess they figure by then, they'll have bought up Navaho Drive's low rent apartments and put them into the redevelopment mix as well. Why not punch it through now? Don't want any sketch having a direct path into the fancy new development?

Now you just need the north side of St Albans to have a plan that involves connecting through Benson, Quail Hollow and Winona and you'll have something resembling a grid in this area. 

According to this plan, their new section of Quail Hollow would intersect St. Albans further to the east of where Quail Hollow would intersect coming from the north side.  Would've been nicer to have a 4-way intersection instead of two T intersections.  But if the Quail Hollow Roads were directly connected though, it probably would have happened in the wetlands area - difficult to engineer.

8 hours ago, Green_man said:

According to this plan, their new section of Quail Hollow would intersect St. Albans further to the east of where Quail Hollow would intersect coming from the north side.  Would've been nicer to have a 4-way intersection instead of two T intersections.  But if the Quail Hollow Roads were directly connected though, it probably would have happened in the wetlands area - difficult to engineer.

I don't think that's why...lots 1 and 2 sit right where the 4-way would go. I think this is a simple attempt to head off opposition from the neighborhoods north of St Albans...not that Quail Hollow is connecting from the north...it's not, and probably never will with this new alignment going in. 

I used to know a property manager at Navaho's apartments and it had a good bit of crime back then and probably still does.  The old-ish money (1970's) on north Quail Hollow probably would faint if a 4-way were ever fully installed. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

When Soleil was proposed in 2005, there was skepticism and some downright ridicule about whether OTB/ATB (Along the Beltline) could possibly justify a building that tall. The very idea that the city's tallest building would not be in DTR was objectionable to some folks.

The irony is, North Hills is 100 feet higher in elevation than the Crabtree Creek valley where Soleil would have gone. In terms of elevation above MSL, Kane's building will go as high as Soleil would have. It's still OTB/ATB, but I bet it doesn't get the snarky opposition that Soleil faced. 

Edited by ctl

On 1/26/2018 at 7:42 PM, Merthecat said:

I think the fact that North Hills is already quite dense and tall helps make this building easier to swallow.  Crabtree is developed, but not very dense or tall.

This ^  The density of NH makes me feel better about this kind of development.  John Kane just seems to have a better PR team as well.

So sure, NH has mushroomed up in size/density and price and  Soleil jackknifed way above the highest price point in the city at that time so price and size objective stuff makes it seem like it'd not be absurd now, but the Soleil Center would have been towering above an enclosed mall, with zero walkability around it. It was an enclosed, dystopian future for multi millionaires. North Hills is the answer to suburban america's problem of no outdoor walkability, especially between residential and commercial areas. In fact it removes the idea that those are separate areas altogether. NH aims at upper middle class and Soleil aimed at "elites" (or as I like to call them, money grubbing a-holes). So Soleil proposed on the same spot today, still looks pretty stupid to me. Soleil at NH would still be a stretch, because of the prices, but much less so. The physical context at Crabtree has't changed a ton since 2005 but NH has changed dramatically. 

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Trent Y said:

Has there been anything concrete on what the Plans for Soleil are? I heard rumor that it was going up for review but this time down scaled to 23-26 floors i cant remember exactly. 

Foundation is definitely still there -- I want to say (for some reason) that they at least "finished" Soleil's supporting structure before abandoning it completely.  You can bike by it on the Crabtree Creek Greenway and see it's a giant pile of overgrown weeds with concrete sticking out of it.

2 hours ago, DPK said:

Foundation is definitely still there -- I want to say (for some reason) that they at least "finished" Soleil's supporting structure before abandoning it completely.  You can bike by it on the Crabtree Creek Greenway and see it's a giant pile of overgrown weeds with concrete sticking out of it.

The subcontractor finished it and didn't get paid a dime for it, is how I understand the situation. Anyone with hard evidence is welcome to set the record straight, but I think I read that in news articles. 

22 minutes ago, Merthecat said:

I never was quite sure where the building was supposed to go.  I assume it's this lot?

Yeah that's it. All the way back against the creek. 

3 hours ago, Trent Y said:

Has there been anything concrete on what the Plans for Soleil are? I heard rumor that it was going up for review but this time down scaled to 23-26 floors i cant remember exactly. 

I am past my 3 article limit for the month, but TBJ wrote something about it. https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2016/11/30/plans-filed-for-redevelopment-of-crabtree-property.html

38 minutes ago, Jones_ said:

The subcontractor finished it and didn't get paid a dime for it, is how I understand the situation. Anyone with hard evidence is welcome to set the record straight, but I think I read that in news articles. 

Ah yes I knew there was some drama around it as to why the foundation was there.  Thanks for clarifying.

^^From the above referenced article about the Soleil site.  A hotel will rise there but plans unsure but East West Partners is building  a 6 story new office building on the site of the adjacent 3 story older building.

""The Soleil Center property was sold at auction in 2015 to Shamin Hotels of Chester, Virginia. Shamin Hotels CEO Neil Amin confirms that plans are in the works again to bring an upscale hotel and conference center to the site, but he declined to provide additional details.""

""For the new office building, Perry says the $50 million project will offer close to 144,000 square feet of Class A office space, along with about 38,400 square feet of retail space and parking for more than 700 cars.""

from the Business Journal https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2016/11/30/plans-filed-for-redevelopment-of-crabtree-property.html

• Like 3