North Hills / Midtown area developments

DigitalSky

Anyone know who owns the land SE of North Hills east? (north of 440). If I were Kane I might be thinking up things like developing along St Albans down into there and perhaps connecting up Quail Hollow's two pieces (there's a real test of North Hills acceptance of the lower middle class folks for you). You could end up with a huge [actual] midtown bookended by the North Raleigh Hilton on the east. Maybe even bridge Browning drive over the St Albans (or tunnel...) at Hardimont and get things all connected up. 

Edited by Jones_

Its in two slices, one of which was more of Charlie Gaddy's land (closest to NHE). It now belongs to an invisible owner St. Albans LLC with all mail going to the accounting firm. The other slice, closer to Navaho Dr., is still owned by the Alex Andrews estate, and has been for over 20 years. 

The land east of North Hills, north of 440 is owned by St Albans LLC and Andrews family trust or something like that.

The rezoning is for land west of Six Forks, so probably the parking lot SW of JC Penny (Lassiter Mill at 440) and the Exxon station at Six Forks and Lassiter Mill are potential future sites of towers.

• 1 month later...

Good god this conversation has been going on since 2008? I've been asleep at the wheel. I still just hope the roads get connected up north of the beltline and across/under the beltline...hoping for a degree that probably won't happen. I do wonder what it will all look like....its a tough slice to work with with steep slopes down to a creek in the center. The required blueline stream setbacks probably dictated the park pieces being talked up so don't give anyone too much credit for that other than the regulators. 

• 3 weeks later...

I was driving by North Hills today and noticed that Kane has put up a sign advertising pre-leasing for tower 3. The sign says it will be a 28 story building with 450k sq. ft. of class A office space. Tower 2 must be pretty close to fully leased if they are already pre-leasing space in tower 3.

I used to think that development at North Hills was a waste, but the more I think about it the more I am pretty comfortable with a lot of big development clustered along the Beltline. I guess we can't and shouldn't hope, or try even, to accommodate everything for everybody within the confines of downtown.

Most of this new, dense development really is extremely close to the beltline itself, which would make the beltline a pretty fantastic BRT transit corridor. Put the stops at the exits, where the land already exists, and use BOSS to run buses on the shoulders to bypass congestion when necessary.

I used to think that development at North Hills was a waste, but the more I think about it the more I am pretty comfortable with a lot of big development clustered along the Beltline. I guess we can't and shouldn't hope, or try even, to accommodate everything for everybody within the confines of downtown.

Most of this new, dense development really is extremely close to the beltline itself, which would make the beltline a pretty fantastic BRT transit corridor. Put the stops at the exits, where the land already exists, and use BOSS to run buses on the shoulders to bypass congestion when necessary.

Highrises along the beltline...yet the beltline does not even have streetlights like a real city...it's even still two lanes wide in some places.

Highrises along the beltline...yet the beltline does not even have streetlights like a real city...it's even still two lanes wide in some places.

No streetlights on the beltline have always been a major concern for me, not most people in the area don't seem to have a problem with it.

So between this hotel, Tower 2 under construction, and another apartment building on Dartmouth in between those two starting this Spring...  there will be 3 projects under construction at the North end of North Hills East!

No. Actually 4. Not sure of the name. A retirement community has already started. On the other side of the amphitheater. Lots going on out there. With any luck tower 3 will start some time this year.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to say that the "Midtown Park" is not really a park.  More like a glorified median.  If they really wanted a park - especially to call this the "Park District" (ugh) they should move 100 Plaza to the 'residential' block across the street to the South.  And then combine the currently shown 100 Plaza block into the park as well.

I have to say that the "Midtown Park" is not really a park.  More like a glorified median.  If they really wanted a park - especially to call this the "Park District" (ugh) they should move 100 Plaza to the 'residential' block across the street to the South.  And then combine the currently shown 100 Plaza block into the park as well.

I was thinking the same thing. It's more like a plaza of sorts. 

NH keeps amazing me with how freakin' big its proposed buildout keeps changing to. It'll be an interesting experiment to see if it can sustain itself without decent transit in the long haul. I can't think of an island of such density (at buildout) surrounded by such relatively low density anywhere I've ever been that isn't served by a rail stop. Throughout the transit thread conversation I keep trying to figure out how NH plays into this. 

Edited by Jones_