North Hills / Midtown area developments

DigitalSky

Also, seems strange for this to be the 4th apartment building for North Hills East and no condo buildings yet.  Must have something to do with easier construction financing?  Is it possible that the building could be converted to condos once completed?

And I wonder if there are plans for rowhomes / townhomes along the North side of St. Albans.

To me, BRT on the beltline would be a good first step. The beltline from Glenwood to New Bern would make a decent rapid transit corridor. There is a lot of commercial and residential density within easy walking distance of the beltline, and current projects like Carolina Row, Glenwood Place, and North Hills expansions will augment that even further. It could connect with several of the busiest transit corridors in the city: New Bern, Capital, Wake Forest/Falls of Neuse.

Say the BRT corridor on the beltline has 5- or 10-minute peak frequency. At the end of the corridor the buses could fan out on to surface streets, like Edwards Mill-Blue Ridge, Glenwood, and Creedmoor on the west, and New Bern / Sunnybrook on the east.

The dedicated lanes already exist (shoulders - implement BOSS so buses can bypass congestion when it exists) so the only thing construction that would be needed are platforms and a way to get from the platforms to the destinations. Idea here - zoom in to see ideas of how platforms could be built. Two or three new pedestrian bridges over the Beltline, and some moderate reconfiguration at the interchanges to accommodate the stops.

NH keeps amazing me with how freakin' big its proposed buildout keeps changing to.

Funny how Kane was trying to get the city to do a TIF financing for a parking deck, and said it would have to be scaled back without it. If this is scaled back, what in the world was he planning on building there before?

Also, seems strange for this to be the 4th apartment building for North Hills East and no condo buildings yet.  Must have something to do with easier construction financing?  Is it possible that the building could be converted to condos once completed?

I wonder if The Lassiter is still part of the plan. I think that's what it was called. It was a 6 or 7 story condo building to be built behind The Alexan and the center with Panera and Bonefish.

This is the most recent full rendering of the entire North Hills area that I can find, from 2013.

aerial%20rendering.jpg

Obviously some things have changed since then, but things to note are:

• The midrise buildings (offices?) adjacent to the west side of Six Forks, where the Exxon is, are still planned. They were proposed maybe 8 years ago but nixed by the city at the time for being too close to Six Forks, which was planned to be widened some day.
  • Some sort of mid/high rise development is planned where the JC Penney parking deck is.
  • Something is still planned where The Lassiter condos were going to be but I think it looks different than the original proposal.
  • The single story retail building where Harris Teeter used to be (now Total Wine, Bonefish Grill, etc) is planned to stick around for a while (but this would possibly be the next logical spot for redevelopment, after the current master plan is built out.)

Well, the City actually has an ongoing study for the Six Forks Rd corridor here.  It appears the direction they are going is to widen the road from 440 to Lynn Rd to add a separate off-road bike path on each side, wide sidewalks, add bus stop bump outs, and add a landscaped median.

The North Hills area would get what they are calling an "Urban Boulevard".

City website:  http://www.raleighnc.gov/business/content/PlanUrbanDesign/Articles/SixForksCorridorStudy.html and click on January 29, 2015 pdf under Presentations to view the latest.

Edited by Green_man

• 1 month later...

This building feels more important to the City atmosphere than the rest of NHE does. It sits at the corner of two streets that actually go to other places. Instead of circulating in an aquarium like other 'new modern' neighborhoods, these tenants are full fledged participants in the city at-large. 

• 3 weeks later...

I visit Raleigh frequently as my daughter lives in the area. I am intrigued by the development of an alternate downtown in cities and hope to visit North Hills on my next trip. I hope it turns out to be a true live, work, play neighborhood with entertainment and unique eating which would invite people from all over the area to enjoy. There are not many of these 'midtowns' in southern cities, after all.

I stumbled across this massing diagram of North Hills while viewing some architects website. Sorry I don't recall which one it was.

1415398241North-Hills-Image-3_zpse1w9xiu

Edited by PHofKS

Definitely worth a visit. It's certainly urban but not in the traditional city grid sense. It is certainly a case study for an academic. North Hills is on the footprint (replaced) of a small enclosed mall, low density office and a retail spot or two, and some lower income apartments. what drove this is hard to say. It is definitely adjacent to some of the highest value residential properties in Raleigh (Lassiter Mill Rd and on down in there). Its also close to an interstate of course but surprisingly close to downtown via multiple routes. It is not a traditional white flight situation like say Midtown Atlanta. It seems like more of an outgrowth of a daring and capable developer along with a small finite downtown grid=other places are gonna have to get dense. 

Enjoy. 

• 1 month later...

According to an article just published in TBJ, Allscripts is planning to build a new 18 story tower in NHE. The article also says that that this will be a separate tower from the 18 story tower II that Kane is building.

http://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/blog/real-estate/2015/04/allscripts-north-hills-18-story-tower-kane-realty.html

According to an article just published in TBJ, Allscripts is planning to build a new 18 story tower in NHE. The article also says that that this will be a separate tower from the 18 story tower II that Kane is building.

http://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/blog/real-estate/2015/04/allscripts-north-hills-18-story-tower-kane-realty.html

I wonder if this will be "Tower 4" since Tower 3 is planned to be 28 floors.

I read that Allscripts isn't committed to anything,and if "sources" are correct Kane would use an available unbuilt tower site as opposed to accommodate them as opposed to them filling out say tower 2. Nothing at all suggests something not among Kane's 5 tower site plan, three of which are only lines on a map, including the tower 3 site that had 28 stories thrown around in discussion only. I am sure if Allscripts wanted 18 stories on that site, and Kane wanted to spec 28 still, he'd just move that over to site 4 or 5.  

Edited by Jones_

Would be depressing in the short-run for the Six Forks/Strickland area. Salix is dropping 250 heads and will probably dump space when that's finished. I know there is empty space in the Forum buildings already. 

Edited by ctl

There are already State offices at the Forum....wonder if in an alternate universe, DHHS could end up there....or even the State buying the whole place outright....low occupancy=cheaper purchase price and it's a campus which seems to be what DHHS wants or needs though I am unsure of their specific needs regarding medical facilities and such...ironically, Allscripts could write the software that would get our Medicaid problems under control...