North Hills / Midtown area developments

DigitalSky

That is _gorgeous_. I really like the change in continuity of the street plan. It is a big improvement over the current situation. The way I see it the only real people with a legitimate gripe, in the eyes of the city council, is the homeowners who lost privacy due to the new, taller buildings. It's about a dozen houses across I-440 and a half a dozen across Lassiter Mill Road.

• Like 2

That is _gorgeous_. I really like the change in continuity of the street plan. It is a big improvement over the current situation. The way I see it the only real people with a legitimate gripe, in the eyes of the city council, is the homeowners who lost privacy due to the new, taller buildings. It's about a dozen houses across I-440 and a half a dozen across Lassiter Mill Road.
There is no way council can stop this, gripes or no. It is an administrative site plan approval. The 12 story zoning is already in hand for the entirety of North Hills West. It was zoned as such during the UDO remapping some time ago.

So, Huzzah!
  • Like 3

On 9/4/2019 at 10:23 PM, Jones_ said:

Can't tell if there will be another connection to Lassiter Mill or just realigning/reusing of the existing exit. Also I guess the last bit of the old parking garage will bite the dust. Looks good to me. Glad to see an office building on the west side now. 

The PDF and rendering don't hint at any additional accesses. They repainted Lassiter Mill Road in that segment to give the outer lanes to the 3 bicyclists per year who use it. Traffic isn't bad with the current design and demand level. That resign certainly puts a little more pressure on that road for cars, though.

On 9/6/2019 at 1:04 PM, Prodev said:

The current plans filed show the middle driveway off of Lassiter Mill closest to JCP and their loading dock being realigned just to the north and then there are two new curb cuts for loading/service within buildings, but no new customer vehicular entrances. 

Oh yeah...on closer inspection I see now, they are indeed getting rid of those two 90 degree bends that get it around JC Penny and aligning the exit with the road as it lays in front of the hotel. Definitely cleaner orientation. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/27/2018 at 4:45 PM, Green_man said:

Rendering updates...

• Walter Tower: 33-story. 10 level, 193 room Marriott Autograph boutique hotel; 22 levels, 294 luxury apartments.  Fall 2018 construction start.
  • Tower 4: 20-story.  11 floors office, 325,000 sq. ft.; 8 floors parking, ground floor retail.  Summer/Fall 2018 construction start.
  • Tower 5:  12-story. 300,000 sq. ft. office, ground floor retail.   adjacent connected parking deck.  No construction schedule.  Waiting for tenants.  Plans could change...

more info... https://www.newsobserver.com/news/business/article215561800.html

walter and tower 4.JPG

I think this is the original rendering.  I like the updated design more, but the balconies were nice in this earlier rendering.  The parking deck was also better screened, but I suppose since so few people actually walk past this area in North Hills, it's better to have it here than on the pedestrian-facing side.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Raleigh Walker said:

Interesting. I'm not noticing much of a design difference from the rendering I saw in August. How updated is this?

They are listing it with the new, higher floor count. First I've seen it as '35 stories'.  The big move is they switched to all apartments. It looks more streamlined now.

Check the link for more pics and info. The Walter will be the hottest tower underway in the Triangle for some time.   https://www.kanerealtycorp.com/project/walter/

Edited by rolly
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 10/18/2019 at 4:18 PM, rolly said:

They are listing it with the new, higher floor count. First I've seen it as '35 stories'.  The big move is they switched to all apartments. It looks more streamlined now.

Check the link for more pics and info. The Walter will be the hottest tower underway in the Triangle for some time.   https://www.kanerealtycorp.com/project/walter/

Right on. I like the design and the completed look there, can't wait to see how it looks with AllScripts and SunTrust buildings. Soon we will be able to say "midtown skyline", heh. Funny because I know a lot of people online hate the word midtown to discuss this area, but I like it. It makes sense because it certainly isn't downtown, and it certainly isn't North Raleigh. With the tall buildings of NH and what I'm sure will extend to Wake Forest via St Alban's, there is a unique opportunity to build up a true midtown that is transit and pedestrian friendly. 

In midtown but not NH, I wonder what those warehouse and light industrial buildings behind Wegman's will transform to and when. I went to some Midtown-St. Alban's small area plan meetings with the city and planners are pretty sure that area is ripe for redevelopment in the near future. Equally as curious about what will happen to the old Kroger/Burger King/vacant restaurant (Courtney's). That is a great location and personally I would like to see a little dense mixed-use development there, maybe 7-8 story regular, affordable apartments with useful stores at street level. No more "high end boutiques" that close at 5 or 6PM. Give me a neighborhood bar, arcade, music venue, comic book store, Vans or Zumiez, burger joint...

I love living so close to this massively changing district, it's very exciting! I just wish I had millions to invest because man there is SO much potential in midtown Raleigh.

Edited by Raleigh Walker
  • Like 3

On 10/25/2019 at 10:04 AM, TKS&W said:

This is probably superfluous, but should the North Hills area be referred to as uptown, the CBD as midtown and the proposed southern area around the soccer stadium as downtown especially if they connect in the future?

I don't think so. I posted a question on another forum to see how people felt about calling the North Hills-Wegmans area "midtown" and most don't even want to call it that. Biggest argument, which I can see, was it doesn't feel like a true midtown - just a condensed strip mall full of chains. That's a broad statement and is not entirely correct but not entirely incorrect either. 

To quote one poster, which I ended up agreeing with:

"A midtown to me suggests a certain level of continuity with downtown in terms of walkable urban fabric... basically a gradual decline in density. This is not the case in Raleigh. Our "midtown" is entirely suburban in nature, with the sole island of walkable development being North Hills. That's why the name feels forced to me. I could see this starting to change in the future with the planned redevelopment of Crabtree and other increases in density that might start to tie the area together into more of a district."

• 3 weeks later...

Well well well. This will be right across the street from my house. Should be interesting. Wonder if this is a sure thing and when it would start? I hope so - I love it and its proximity to NH is a huge plus. It will create a true district. As long as it's well connected via transit to NH, Wegs, CV, CVM, downtown, etc

20191114-114352.jpg

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2019/11/14/plans-unveiled-for-1-billion-development-in.html?iana=hpmvp_trig_news_headline

Edited by Raleigh Walker
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Raleigh Walker said:

Well well well. This will be right across the street from my house. Should be interesting. Wonder if this is a sure thing and when it would start? I hope so - I love it and its proximity to NH is a huge plus. It will create a true district. As long as it's well connected via transit to NH, Wegs, CV, CVM, downtown, etc

20191114-114352.jpg

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2019/11/14/plans-unveiled-for-1-billion-development-in.html?iana=hpmvp_trig_news_headline

That wetland must be driving the developer nuts. At least they will have a nice park :)

Here are some of the key points from the article mentioned above

""A full breakdown of the space includes: 

790,000 square feet of Class A office space;
A convention center;
Over 7 acres of green space with water features and park amenities that will tie into the city’s existing greenway;
125,000 square feet of retail and restaurant space;
300 hotel rooms;
1,275 Apartments, condos and townhomes; and
300 Senior Living Units.
Dewitt Carolina bought the first piece of the property in 1999 and completed the assemblage in 2017.

That same year, Raleigh City Council voted to approve a rezoning request for the land that will allow for multiple structures ranging from seven stories to 20 stories.""

• Like 2