North Hills / Midtown area developments

DigitalSky

Midtown Exchange

Great project but the city is doing zero to plan for traffic.  No projects on the STIP to widen I-440 or Six Forks or Wake Forest.  Unlike downtown Raleigh or a CBD, where this + North Hills densities are typically built, at least you have an interconnected grid of streets to distribute traffic.  North Raleigh was designed on the suburban cul-de-sac model.  Don't get me wrong, this project looks awesome, but Raleigh needs to start thinking about fixed transit and connectivity, a la Charlotte.

None of the people moving into this project are going North for anything. NE Raleigh is dying on the vine, especially in the eyes of those under 40. The real focus needs to be connecting this project over to Atlantic Ave because that is the only 440 crossing point that isn't saturated. A Diverging Diamond Interchange is supposedly going to be put in at Wake Forest/440. It will help with the flow there, and they need to get it going. Lassiter Mill won't ever be changed into a major artery.

One project I wish they would do is a connector from Anderson Dr. northward to Quail Hollow Dr. (It'll never get done because the residents on those streets have the irrational notion that they own their street and will never have more traffic than they day they bought their houses, but oh well.) It could open up a nice redevelopment of the Barrett Drive area.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Crqbt6sjPJnP-yDpXpI_AvGGu7U&usp=sharing

Unless something radical is done, we're stuck with just 3 pinch points for crossing I-440 (Atlantic, Wake Forest, Lassiter Mill). in order to get south from this project.

Edited by dmccall
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Here is the website and check out the video.  It is quite impressive and the architecture is great.

https://midtownexchangenc.com/#gallery

I love, love, love this development and their vision for it. This will raise the bar high for developments in Raleigh and let's hope it causes other developers to want to push the envelope and offer more bold and innovative designs than other developments we've seen of late.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, dmccall said:

One project I wish they would do is a connector from Anderson Dr. northward to Quail Hollow Dr. (It'll never get done because the residents on those streets have the irrational notion that they own their street and will never have more traffic than they day they bought their houses, but oh well.) It could open up a nice redevelopment of the Barrett Drive area.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Crqbt6sjPJnP-yDpXpI_AvGGu7U&usp=sharing

Unless something radical is done, we're stuck with just 3 pinch points for crossing I-440 (Atlantic, Wake Forest, Lassiter Mill). in order to get south from this project.

Perhaps a more realistic option would be to connect Hardimont to Browning Pl.

1 hour ago, Green_man said:

Ped/Bike/Vehicle Bridge connecting Barrett Drive to St. Albans is part of the recommendation in the City's current Midtown Area Study.

There should be a Midtown TIF/TAD/special assessment district to pay for infrastructure like this.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, KJHburg said:

few more renderings of the Walter apartment tower.  That rooftop pool is NICE!

http://www.kanerealtycorp.com/project/walter/

Walter Aerial

I think Kane simply has an aversion to anyone seeing downtown while at leisure.. SMH. 
Has anyone heard any complaints about PNC Tower's roof pool facing south? (is it unbearably hot in the summer?). To put a pool on the shaded, north side is asking for mold growth around the pool.

• 2 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, NOLA2CLT said:

Awesome Pics KJ...any word on when the Walter is starting construction?  I would assume it will begin after AAP tower is completed, but some sites already list it as under construction.    

I think they need this tower the Advance Auto tower to complete as they are using that land now for a lay down yard then they can start the 35 story Walter Tower.  

• Like 2