North Hills / Midtown area developments

DigitalSky

I’ve never really warmed to downtown Raleigh — maybe because I compare it to Charlotte as a baseline, and the QC, in my opinion, is vastly superior.

North Hills, however, is very nice, and this area will be hypercharged If and when the Midtown Exchange is built next door.

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I’ve never really warmed to downtown Raleigh — maybe because I compare it to Charlotte as a baseline, and the QC, in my opinion, is vastly superior.

North Hills, however, is very nice, and this area will be hypercharged If and when the Midtown Exchange is built next door.

"Vastly" superior?

I think that you vastly exaggerate.

1 hour ago, RALNATIVE said:

"Vastly" superior?

I think that you vastly exaggerate.

It’s just my opinion.  Anyway, while I prefer Charlotte to Raleigh, I prefer Chapel Hill and Wilmington to either of them which clearly puts me in the minority.  Once again, it’s just my humble opinion.

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/13/2020 at 10:27 AM, SydneyCarton said:

It’s just my opinion.  Anyway, while I prefer Charlotte to Raleigh, I prefer Chapel Hill and Wilmington to either of them which clearly puts me in the minority.  Once again, it’s just my humble opinion.

You guys from Charlotte have a tendency to inject your "opinion" in Raleigh threads whenever anything in Raleigh is clearly superior to similar developments in Charlotte. People living in glass cities should not thrown stones.

Edited by RALNATIVE
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, RALNATIVE said:

You guys from Charlotte have a tendency to inject your "opinion" in Raleigh threads whenever anything in Raleigh is clearly superior to similar developments in Charlotte. People living in glass cities should not thrown stones.

I’m originally a New Yorker who lived in Charlotte for many years and have lived in Chapel Hill for many years since then.  These are just my opinions.

P.S.: While I love NC and will be here for at least 15 years more, if not for the rest of my life, my heart is in NYC.

25549808-6F51-4F6A-B708-0E20279A6FBB.jpeg

F5933669-4765-4A72-811B-D0BBF93FC5BE.jpeg

2B379777-AEC4-4A63-9FA5-D38A80EDBAE4.jpeg

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

I am from Charlotte and I think Raleigh Cary have the best suburban mixed use projects in the state and that includes North Hills, the under construction Fenton and the planned Midtown Exchange and Carolina Yards.  Plus I think the Dillon is one of the best new office buildings in the state built in the last few years.  Charlotte can learn from Raleigh in some things and vice versa.  I view the 2 cities like Austin and Dallas in Texas.   It is fantastic that when any national study comes out and 2 metro areas in this state are on the list like the released today ULI report which ranks Raleigh Durham as the #1 best real estate market in several categories and Charlotte as #5.  No other state has 2 metros in the top 5 not even Texas.  Downtown Durham has some of the best historical renovation projects in the state.  I would move to Raleigh in a NY minute but my business is here but I talk it up all the time.  

https://americas.uli.org/201014emergingtrends/

I wasn't really referring to you KJHburg. You do a great job highlighting great developments across the state and your posts are always objective with a positive tone.

Over the years there have been many posters from Charlotte that would post in Raleigh threads and take cheap shots, and it always happened when Raleigh beat Charlotte in some area. It doesn't happen as much now, but at one point it was routine.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, RALNATIVE said:

I wasn't really referring to you KJHburg. You do a great job highlighting great developments across the state and your posts are always objective with a positive tone.

Over the years there have been many posters from Charlotte that would post in Raleigh threads and take cheap shots, and it always happened when Raleigh beat Charlotte in some area. It doesn't happen as much now, but at one point it was routine.

Yea, I am from Raleigh and went to school in Charlotte. Both are great cities with their own strengths and weaknesses. 

The "attacks" always come as veiled contextualizing for an opinion that really didn't need it. Just say you like X without having to bring in another city. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/13/2020 at 8:30 AM, SydneyCarton said:

What a strange thing to say. Tons of downtowns are smaller than Charlotte's but still have more character and soul ;) 

• Like 1

I spend a great deal of time in both Charlotte & Raleigh every week. At least two days in each city weekly, and they both have great things going on in them. Charlotte is a city of approximately a 1,000,000 people, while Raleigh is a city of approximately 500,000 residents. They both have much to be proud of. No need to argue for either. 

From Raleigh North Hills today, notice the glass is going up on the Walter. 

D320E07C-D229-4059-B9AC-D87B25083C08.jpeg

962812C8-587F-4E9D-8DA7-B6C67F7AA95B.jpeg

4219E949-3D49-4947-8136-D5BB0C8B7C4C.jpeg

E3C42440-2D67-46BE-A998-A9C13854D2FF.jpeg

FDC227D3-7189-4793-BB7E-1AFB453D26A2.jpeg

CA7F155C-5CFB-46E2-ABCF-9C33D70BD453.jpeg

2E102B17-ADB9-4413-BAF5-02F78CE8459E.jpeg

33E6F3A9-8A5B-4003-B984-A3E2F85969DD.jpeg

6E20EA76-23E0-4A36-8F37-CB5F47B85EC6.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Here is photo of the RH, the mega Restoration Store in Charlotte and this exact look from what I have seen is coming to North Hills.  It is 3 story with rooftop restaurant and patio, and everywhere you look is something for sale in an art gallery type setting.   Outside on the ground floor they have all their patio furniture.  It is quite nice and it will do great in Raleigh and draw people from miles and miles away I am sure.

IMG_4902.JPG

IMG_4903.JPG

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Fresh details on the massive Midtown Exchange project including renderings:
MDTEX1.png
MDTEX2.png
MDTEX3.png

"Construction is set to begin in mid-2021. The building will be able to deliver without its sister tower, and Dewitt expects to complete MTX One in late 2022."

"The architect for MTX One is Rule Joy Trammell + Rubio LLC of Atlanta. The general contractor is Brasfield & Gorrie of Raleigh. Leasing will be managed by CBRE of Raleigh. The company is currently in talks with several potential tenants, though none that can be announced yet, Saieed said."
https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2020/11/20/dewitt-carolinas-raleigh-midtown-exchange.html?cx_testId=40&cx_testVariant=cx_45&cx_artPos=2#cxrecs_s

I've noticed a lot of site prep and activity already. This is like 2 minutes from my house...should be interesting to watch it go up.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Raleigh Walker said:

Fresh details on the massive Midtown Exchange project including renderings:
MDTEX1.png
MDTEX2.png
MDTEX3.png

"Construction is set to begin in mid-2021. The building will be able to deliver without its sister tower, and Dewitt expects to complete MTX One in late 2022."

"The architect for MTX One is Rule Joy Trammell + Rubio LLC of Atlanta. The general contractor is Brasfield & Gorrie of Raleigh. Leasing will be managed by CBRE of Raleigh. The company is currently in talks with several potential tenants, though none that can be announced yet, Saieed said."
https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2020/11/20/dewitt-carolinas-raleigh-midtown-exchange.html?cx_testId=40&cx_testVariant=cx_45&cx_artPos=2#cxrecs_s

I've noticed a lot of site prep and activity already. This is like 2 minutes from my house...should be interesting to watch it go up.

I love this project the most of any currently planned in Raleigh. I wonder how visible it will be from the beltline.

Eventually i'd like to see more development visible from the beltline.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, RALNATIVE said:

I love this project the most of any currently planned in Raleigh. I wonder how visible it will be from the beltline.

Eventually i'd like to see more development visible from the beltline.

Completely agree with both aspects - it's my favorite project currently planned as well but I think that's because it's walking distance to my neighborhood haha. I think it will be somewhat visible from the beltline especially at night, but not in your face like NH is. I do wish more high rises could be right there alongside 440 and on both sides of the highway. 

This is the view currently when you're passing right over WF Rd on 440WB. You can see up til about WF @ St Alban's, so there should be at least some visibility. If someone could buy/demolish/replace that old Days Inn next to Denny's with a newer ~10 floor hotel, that would be a great start...

440.png

Edited by Raleigh Walker
  • Like 2