Jump to content

DigitalSky

North Hills / Midtown area developments

Recommended Posts


7 hours ago, Raleigh Walker said:

Completely agree with both aspects - it's my favorite project currently planned as well but I think that's because it's walking distance to my neighborhood haha. I think it will be somewhat visible from the beltline especially at night, but not in your face like NH is. I do wish more high rises could be right there alongside 440 and on both sides of the highway. 

This is the view currently when you're passing right over WF Rd on 440WB. You can see up til about WF @ St Alban's, so there should be at least some visibility. If someone could buy/demolish/replace that old Days Inn next to Denny's with a newer ~10 floor hotel, that would be a great start...

440.png

I'm sure that some developer is thinking about it.  All of the land in and around that area is prime land now and having a Days Inn in that location is probably no longer desired.

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Don't tell my Charlotte UPers but I think this is the best new project in the state!   Midtown Exchange   Lots of new renderings on their website. 

https://midtownexchangenc.com/

I'm sure they'll disown you for that comment. :tw_joy:

I'm just excited that they'll be starting development in roughly 6-7 months. They're moving fast.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, nicholas said:

Don't look now, but the Walter is up to the 14th floor by my count.

IMG_1302.JPG

IMG_1308.JPG

IMG_1309.JPG

 

That's just under half the total height. Can't wait to see the finished product.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 10/15/2020 at 9:13 PM, CLT @❤️ said:

 

33E6F3A9-8A5B-4003-B984-A3E2F85969DD.jpeg

They _really_ need to paint the exposed descending concrete garage portions black (between those silver facade pieces)

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I drove by the site the other day. The trees have almost cleared and I believe that construction is scheduled to start  in 1Q or 2Q.

I just wonder how access to this massive development will work. Currently the only access is St. Albans Dr., which is not exactly a major thoroughfare.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, RALNATIVE said:

I drove by the site the other day. The trees have almost cleared and I believe that construction is scheduled to start  in 1Q or 2Q.

I just wonder how access to this massive development will work. Currently the only access is St. Albans Dr., which is not exactly a major thoroughfare.

That’s good news!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, RALNATIVE said:

I drove by the site the other day. The trees have almost cleared and I believe that construction is scheduled to start  in 1Q or 2Q.

I just wonder how access to this massive development will work. Currently the only access is St. Albans Dr., which is not exactly a major thoroughfare.

If the developer has the deep pockets to pull this off, hopefully the City Council has the cajones to require them to build a new interchange on 440.  St. Aban's is a quick shortcut from North HIlls to the W.F. Road corridor now.  I'd hate to see it become a traffic choked nightmare due to failure to impose adequate transportation facilities like the big cluster that is Glenwood Avenue and Brier Creek Parkway

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JeffC said:

If the developer has the deep pockets to pull this off, hopefully the City Council has the cajones to require them to build a new interchange on 440.  St. Aban's is a quick shortcut from North HIlls to the W.F. Road corridor now.  I'd hate to see it become a traffic choked nightmare due to failure to impose adequate transportation facilities like the big cluster that is Glenwood Avenue and Brier Creek Parkway

There's not really enough room to add another interchange between Six Forks and Wake Forest.  Big Branch Creek bisects the middle of those two interchanges as well so you can't really build anything there regardless.  I think if anything happens you'll eventually see improvements to Quail Hollow Drive, Navaho Drive, and probably the completion of the missing segment that is Benson Drive.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

this is a cool project -- the problem is transportation.  Like almost all of Raleigh, people can't walk safely between developments or even from home to a library.  This latter example existed along Six Forks Road.  There was a Public Library in a development located at the intersection of Saw Mill and Six Forks that was visible to residents in houses around the library but you couldn't actually walk there.  You hadget in your car, drive on neighborhood streets and then be added to minions using the major arterial roads that should be used to move people between destinations too far to access by foot or bike, not for use when you otherwise could have walked.  Our interstates have become local roads because  we've approved cul-de-sacs instead of grids.    There's no penalty to the City for approving new development along roads that can't handle the traffic it will generate because NCDOT awards funding to projects based on quantitative data like, wait for it.....traffic congestion.   North Hills has a similar problem.   The East and West sides of North Hills are each wicked cool within the development but walking TO them or BETWEEN them, it's theoretically possible...  They have painted crosswalks across Six Forks but there's  200' of asphalt and 85000 cars a day to survive getting across it.   The project needs to be designed to facilitate access to/from adjacent parcels --hotels, the  hospital, North Hills, to new development along Atlantic, and the Wegmans  Midtown area.    Any new  development or redevelopment in that area of the city has to built to improve non-vehicular access .  Frankly, the only way to solve the transportation problem may be  a lot more density.  

Sorry for the rant!!!!!!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, JeffC said:

If the developer has the deep pockets to pull this off, hopefully the City Council has the cajones to require them to build a new interchange on 440.  St. Aban's is a quick shortcut from North HIlls to the W.F. Road corridor now.  I'd hate to see it become a traffic choked nightmare due to failure to impose adequate transportation facilities like the big cluster that is Glenwood Avenue and Brier Creek Parkway

They must have thought about and devised plans for optimal traffic flow early in the design process. The Wake Forest Rd/I-440 corridor is already a nightmare just about any time of day, and once this comes online, it will be unbearable. It will be interesting to see how this all manifests.

2 hours ago, Phillydog said:

this is a cool project -- the problem is transportation.  Like almost all of Raleigh, people can't walk safely between developments or even from home to a library.  This latter example existed along Six Forks Road.  There was a Public Library in a development located at the intersection of Saw Mill and Six Forks that was visible to residents in houses around the library but you couldn't actually walk there.  You hadget in your car, drive on neighborhood streets and then be added to minions using the major arterial roads that should be used to move people between destinations too far to access by foot or bike, not for use when you otherwise could have walked.  Our interstates have become local roads because  we've approved cul-de-sacs instead of grids.    There's no penalty to the City for approving new development along roads that can't handle the traffic it will generate because NCDOT awards funding to projects based on quantitative data like, wait for it.....traffic congestion.   North Hills has a similar problem.   The East and West sides of North Hills are each wicked cool within the development but walking TO them or BETWEEN them, it's theoretically possible...  They have painted crosswalks across Six Forks but there's  200' of asphalt and 85000 cars a day to survive getting across it.   The project needs to be designed to facilitate access to/from adjacent parcels --hotels, the  hospital, North Hills, to new development along Atlantic, and the Wegmans  Midtown area.    Any new  development or redevelopment in that area of the city has to built to improve non-vehicular access .  Frankly, the only way to solve the transportation problem may be  a lot more density.  

Sorry for the rant!!!!!!

If I'm correct, they had once considered a pedestrian bridge between the east and west sides, and at one point there was even talk of some sort of elevated transit system. I'm not sure how serious those ideas were.

Edited by RALNATIVE
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, RALNATIVE said:

They must have thought about and devised plans for optimal traffic flow early in the design process. The Wake Forest Rd/I-440 corridor is already a nightmare just about any time of day, and once this comes online, it will be unbearable. It will be interesting to see how this all manifests.

If I'm correct, they had once considered a pedestrian bridge between the east and west sides, and at one point there was even talk of some sort of elevated transit system. I'm not sure how serious those ideas were.

Having worked with the City of Raleigh, NCDOT, CAMPO in the transportation funding process for over 20 years, I feel confident that Raleigh doesn't care because they know NCDOT will bail them out.  The fix  overall isn't complicated, but the City lacks the political will to tell neighbrhoods and developers what is going to be required to improve mobility in the City:  higher density, more connectivity, narrower streets and smaller curve radii, and expenditures for fixed guideway transit.  The era of approving projects like they exist in a vacuum is what has gotten us to this point.   If people want to live in a bucolic countryside move to  Warren County,

Edited by Phillydog
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Phillydog said:

Having worked with the City of Raleigh, NCDOT, CAMPO in the transportation funding process for over 20 years, I feel confident that Raleigh doesn't care because they know NCDOT will bail them out.  The fix  overall isn't complicated, but the City lacks the political will to say tell neighbrhoods and developers what is going to be required to improve mobility in the City:  higher density, more connectivity, narrower streets and smaller curve radii, and expenditures for fixed guideway transit.  The era of approving projects like they exist in a vacuum is what has gotten us to this point.   If people want to live in a bucolic countryside move to  Warren County,

People who think like that should move to Perquimans County.

Warren County is too close to the Triangle.

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

and this will be right up to the greenway and creek separating NHID from Midtown Xchange which basically together is a whole new downtown for north Raleigh.  

 

I see now there will be 2 office towers just one starting later this year and apartments are midrise. 

Here is  the rendering of the Channel House apartments:

 

Channel House North Hills Apartments

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is all incredible. North Hills  and midtown alone will see somewhere around $3-4 Billion in new developments over the next few years. Raleigh as a whole has about $6-7 Billion in planned new developments. And those numbers are probably on the conservative side.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.