North Hills / Midtown area developments

DigitalSky

2 hours ago, po-boy said:

Great shots @Firejudyrose

Interesting perspective @SydneyCarton

I find Southpark to feel more like a district/neighborhood and be more organic than North Hills which is and feels like a development, but I think North Hills is a better experience and more walkable. I think both are fairly nice faux-urban places which add something valuable to their respective cities. And both are far superior to Ballantyne, IMO.

That's precisely what I was thinking.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, po-boy said:

Great shots @Firejudyrose

Interesting perspective @SydneyCarton

I find Southpark to feel more like a district/neighborhood and be more organic than North Hills which is and feels like a development, but I think North Hills is a better experience and more walkable. I think both are fairly nice faux-urban places which add something valuable to their respective cities. And both are far superior to Ballantyne, IMO.

North Hills has a much more happening vibe than South Park. I think that North Hills is the nicest, most dense development between DC and Atlanta.

With the many accolades that Kane has received for this development, it seems that many would agree.

• Like 1

Ballantyne is much further out of the central downtown than either Southpark or North Hills both which about 5 miles from downtown.   North Hills benefits from being on I-440 Southpark is only accessible by surface city streets. 

But Ballantyne is being redone and they just got the rezoning for it last year.   Give it a few years and you will be amazed.

Ballantyne Reimagined (projectballantyne.com)

North Hills is a fantastic development but a little part of me believes it has taken away from downtown Raleigh somewhat.  Kane's office buildings at North Hills are almost 100% full and only a small part of the Smoky Hollow office building is leased.  Though the Dillon leased up pretty quickly.   as I have said before North Hills is the most dense suburban mixed project between DC and Atlanta bar none.  It is a great development and so if the Midtown Exchange as planned as well as Fenton in Cary. 

one more thing Raleigh's Bus Rapid Transit needs to come down St Albans Lane or serve both North Hills and Midtown Exchange. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 4

I rode down St. Albans this afternoon and there is a lot of construction going on from NHE down to Hardimont Rd. From the looks of things, the NH Innovation district will extend all the way from NHE to Midtown Exchange.

My only hope is that they preserve the natural aesthetics of Big Branch Creek and incorporate that into the Innovation District. I'd also like to see them demo the existing North Raleigh Hilton and rebuild a more modern building that integrates better with the planned Midtown Exchange. It will be very interesting to see how that entire area evolves.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, RALNATIVE said:

I rode down St. Albans this afternoon and there is a lot of construction going on from NHE down to Hardimont Rd. From the looks of things, the NH Innovation district will extend all the way from NHE to Midtown Exchange.

My only hope is that they preserve the natural aesthetics of Big Branch Creek and incorporate that into the Innovation District. I'd also like to see them demo the existing North Raleigh Hilton and rebuild a more modern building that integrates better with the planned Midtown Exchange. It will be very interesting to see how that entire area evolves.

Kane Realty owns that Hilton lot if I'm not mistaken.  I'd be surprised if it isn't in their long term plans.

Edited by nicholas
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, nicholas said:

Kane Realty owns that Hilton lot if I'm not mistaken.  I'd be surprised if it isn't in their long term plans.

To be a flagship Hilton that hotel is somewhat outdated and rundown. It would not blend in well with the ultra modern Midtown Exchange development.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, nicholas said:

There is a ton of outdated and underutilized land between the Hilton, Hyatt Place, Bahama Breeze, Denny's, two office buildings, and Days Inn.  I suspect all of it will gradually get redeveloped as Midtown Exchange and North Hills blend together.

Not Bahama Breeze that is the only location in the state LOL 

• Like 3

On 3/7/2021 at 12:08 PM, nicholas said:

There is a ton of outdated and underutilized land between the Hilton, Hyatt Place, Bahama Breeze, Denny's, two office buildings, and Days Inn.  I suspect all of it will gradually get redeveloped as Midtown Exchange and North Hills blend together.

Speaking of which there are some very run down looking apartments over there that are visible from the freeway. Hoping that they are the first to see the wrecking ball.

Edited by RALNATIVE

50 minutes ago, RALNATIVE said:

Speaking of which there are some very run down looking apartments over there that are visible from the freeway. Hoping that they are the first to see the wrecking ball.

Long term, something like this should probably be considered for the area.

1739032164_wakeforestrdcorridor.thumb.jpg.3f964ccde6e6e11290f7d46c726fa8aa.jpg

With North Hills/Midtown Exchange quickly filling in the land between Six Forks and Wake Forest Rd, coupled with the Wake Forest Rd interchange proposed to be upgraded to a diverging diamond, bike/pedestrian and local traffic should be shifted over to Benson Dr (the road parallel to Wake Forest Rd).  It will require a new bridge over 440, but will allow for much safer pedestrian access along the Wake Forest Rd corridor, and will hopefully allow more urban development to jump over 440 and make its way towards Downtown/Glenwood South.  St Albans Dr should be narrowed because it is ridiculously wide, and a separated greenway/bike path should be constructed alongside of it.  There should probably also be another road parallel to St Albans Dr to better connect North Hills and Midtown, but its feasibility will depend on what the road layout is like in Midtown Exchange.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...