North Hills / Midtown area developments

DigitalSky

5 hours ago, KJHburg said:

how many floors approx. till the Walter tops out?  and remember the Cardinal is starting its high rise there too at NH east. 

I counted 26 or 27 floors in one of those pics I posted, depending on whether or not one counts the "top" unfinished floor, haha. One or two of those pics I took from St Alban's is the site of Cardinal right? 

• Like 2

On 4/30/2021 at 10:20 PM, RALNATIVE said:

Some of you guys are full of BS. You post in this thread about how much you love Charlotte, how much you enjoy it better, blah blah blah...

But yet, you're HERE! Checking out the Triangle thread and posting day after day, living in this area when you could honestly live whereever makes you happier, enjoying everything that the Triangle has to offer. Reveling in all of the good news lately just like the rest of us who truly do love this area.

But yet, you choose to stay HERE! In an area that you like less than Charlotte, so you say, but you just have the burning desire to let everyone else in this thread know just how much you prefer Charlotte and its greater magnitude of development.

I may not know  any of you guys personally, but I do know BS and phony when I see it. Maybe that's the reason why you love Charlotte so much.

When I say "personally, I enjoy Charlotte more", I mean that it has more things that appeal to me at this stage of my life than Raleigh does (sports that I am into, colleges that I go to, etc).  Do I think that it is overall "better" than Raleigh?  No, there are some things that I think Charlotte is better at, and other things that I think Raleigh is better at, but overall neither city is betterer than the other.  Not sure why this is such a big deal?

• Like 1

On 4/30/2021 at 12:25 PM, nicholas said:

If it weren't for North Hills, Charlotte would be absolutely obliterating Raleigh in terms of large-scale development.  Yet, despite all of the growth there, @SydneyCarton likes the Midtown Exchange project more.  If people in the Triangle don't care less about what's going on in Charlotte, they wouldn't be throwing tantrums when a Charlotte homer says he likes a development in Raleigh more than anything being built in Charlotte.

I was born and raised in Raleigh (currently live in Garner), and have basically been a part-time resident of Charlotte my whole life.  Personally, I enjoy Charlotte more, but both cities are awesome, and there is a reason why we are bringing in the Apples and Centenes and Googles of the world.

Obliterating? I think that you doth protest too much...  

I'm not sure all of what's happening or planned for Charlotte, but Raleigh is doing just fine.

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/business/article251213339.html

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KJHburg said:

stopped in North Hills Midtown today which was found out to be 2 blocks from the literal center point of Raleigh.  anyway I count 27/28 floors skipping 13 so this is getting closer to be topped out the Walter.  All over Kane's Midtown at North Hills today.   (the most dense suburban mixed used center between DC and Atlanta metros)    32 photos sorry I only get up here 3-4 times a year! 

including site of the new high rise for the Cardinal at North Hills  less not forget this tower:  18 stories 

See the source image

IMG_6780.JPG

IMG_6782.JPG

IMG_6783.JPG

IMG_6784.JPG

IMG_6785.JPG

IMG_6786.JPG

IMG_6787.JPG

IMG_6788.JPG

IMG_6790.JPG

IMG_6791.JPG

IMG_6793.JPG

IMG_6795.JPG

IMG_6796.JPG

IMG_6797.JPG

IMG_6798.JPG

IMG_6799.JPG

IMG_6800.JPG

IMG_6801.JPG

IMG_6802.JPG

IMG_6803.JPG

IMG_6805.JPG

IMG_6806.JPG

IMG_6807.JPG

IMG_6808.JPG

IMG_6809.JPG

IMG_6810.JPG

IMG_6811.JPG

IMG_6820.JPG

IMG_6821.JPG

IMG_6822.JPG

IMG_6823.JPG

IMG_6825.JPG

Excellent job @KJHburgcapturing the heart of North Hills. I get to be there three times per week, and really enjoy witnessing  the growth of this massive development. John Kane will be remembered for years to come as Raleigh's 21st Century development legend. 

• Like 3

On 4/26/2021 at 12:39 PM, Phillydog said:

4 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

not to leave Midtown Exchange out there is a lot more site work just nothing vertical yet.  But this project is great too.

Midtown Exchange | Mixed Use Development in Raleigh North Carolina (midtownexchangenc.com)

first office building part of the pair is first up.  If I were them I would start all the residential they can afford to start with such job growth in this area.  

I do think a BRT line should be planned from downtown to this project and North Hills. 

IMG_6812.JPG

IMG_6813.JPG

IMG_6814.JPG

IMG_6815.JPG

IMG_6816.JPG

IMG_6817.JPG

IMG_6818.JPG

With just two major thoroughfares, both already over or near design capacity,  serving millions of square feet of spaces, is transportation / access going to become an even bigger issue?  Widening the belt line is probably unrealistic.  Seriously, it's time for the Triangle to be building fixed transit lines, not still talking about it.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, dmccall said:

Are these floors in The Walter 8-feet? It's amazing to have it at 30 stories and not be taller.  However my real question is if there is a market for apartments with 8-foot ceilings and windows that can't open.

remember some of those floors are parking levels which are probably 8 feet and I would think the apartment levels are at 9 feet but not sure. 

• Thanks 1

speaking of North Hills and Midtown some of the space Allscripts is giving up in their building was leased by pharma company Gilead Sciences for the jobs promised in Wake County.

Gilead Sciences grabs major office space in Raleigh's North Hills - Triangle Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

""Triangle Business Journal previously reported that Allscripts (Nasdaq: MDRX) moved employees out of the seventh through ninth floors of the Midtown Plaza building. Now, it appears that the space at 305 Church at North Hills St. is spoken for. While the company did not respond to requests for comment, sources have told TBJ that California-based Gilead Sciences (Nasdaq: GILD) has signed a lease with landlord Kane Realty to fill all three floors.  The pharmaceutical giant announced in February it would be launching a new business services center in Wake County with an investment of up to $5 million. That project is expected to bring 275 jobs with average salaries of $142,000  .Combined with the seventh floor, the space amounts to 84,000 square feet. ""

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like the East End Market mixed-use project, which has received pushback from nearby residents, has received the OK from city council. This is the one located at the corner of Wake Forest Rd and Whitaker Mill Rd, near Dock 1053. This looks like another great project, it's too bad they capped the height at no more than 7 stories (despite rezoning allowing for 11).

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2021/06/16/raleigh-approves-east-end-market-pd-rezoning.html
https://i.ibb.co/bQpRhvq/EE.png

EE.PNG

Edited by Raleigh Walker
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Raleigh Walker said:

Looks like the East End Market mixed-use project, which has received pushback from nearby residents, has received the OK from city council. This is the one located at the corner of Wake Forest Rd and Whitaker Mill Rd, near Dock 1053. This looks like another great project, it's too bad they capped the height at no more than 7 stories (despite rezoning allowing for 11).

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2021/06/16/raleigh-approves-east-end-market-pd-rezoning.html
https://i.ibb.co/bQpRhvq/EE.png

EE.PNG

I just hope that they don't demolish all of those older buildings/wahrehouses close to Atlantic Ave. to make way for this project. Those bldgs have character.

4 hours ago, RALNATIVE said:

I just hope that they don't demolish all of those older buildings/wahrehouses close to Atlantic Ave. to make way for this project. Those bldgs have character.

Meh, I'm all for preserving historic and charming architecture but I'm picturing thw warehouses and such on Atlantic over by Dock 1053 and they are just standard, poorly aged warehouses IMO. They do have some kind of character as do all buildings, but it's not one I personally am particularly interested in keeping around if it means tearing them down gets us some mixed-use density! 

Also, does anyone know if this project is different than the Iron Works project? It is different, right? I haven't looked and am not sure if this is Iron Works rebranded or whatever, I know they were in the same general area.

Looks like one warehouse will incorporated into the project. Everything east of the tracks on Whitaker Mill is safe.

5 minutes ago, Raleigh Walker said:

Meh, I'm all for preserving historic and charming architecture but I'm picturing thw warehouses and such on Atlantic over by Dock 1053 and they are just standard, poorly aged warehouses IMO. They do have some kind of character as do all buildings, but it's not one I personally am particularly interested in keeping around if it means tearing them down gets us some mixed-use density! 

Also, does anyone know if this project is different than the Iron Works project? It is different, right? I haven't looked and am not sure if this is Iron Works rebranded or whatever, I know they were in the same general area.

Definitely separate from Iron Works. Going to be a great little cluster over there.

• Like 2