North Hills / Midtown area developments

DigitalSky

• 4 months later...

New 18-story tower to start construction later this year between Captrust and First Citizens Bank.  This appears to be the same tower that RALNATIVE mentioned above, but one story less:

http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/06/19/2975021/18-story-office-tower-planned.html

http://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2013/06/19/18-story-office-tower-set-for-north.html

Rendering repost from TBJ:

tower-two-rendering-01*600.jpg

Edited by DPK

• 10 months later...

I know there are a lot of people with a negative view of North Hills, but in all honesty, it's one of the very few places you can live in Raleigh that has everything you need within walking distance. I actually kind of think it is coming into its own as "midtown." Placemaking efforts like this speak to that. 

• 2 weeks later...

The new Hyatt House:

14058112635_b9189851f8_b.jpg

New stage for the Midtown Park:

14058573934_662194a56b_b.jpg

The number tossed out by the PR folk was the amphitheater would accommodate 12,000 - double that of Red Hat amphitheater. It was soundly mocked on social media. It's a nice space, but 500 to 700 is the max.

14058134515_15e8fdab1a_b.jpg

Sign for the development that will be coming to the area behind the stage:

k8ESe0r.jpg

The number tossed out by the PR folk was the amphitheater would accommodate 12,000 - double that of Red Hat amphitheater. It was soundly mocked on social media. It's a nice space, but 500 to 700 is the max.

I honestly think people have a problem with perception of space.  500-700 isn't really that large for that space.  You can totally get about 12k people in that area.  Pretty sure the PR staff have a better idea of their own construction project than arm chair twitter warriors.

With a square lawn facing it, it just doesn't seem very amphitheater-y to me. I don't know the dimensions but imagine the PR folks included all the sidewalk space in their numbers. Just using InitialD's pics, and knowing Walnut Creek's capacity is 20,500 (13,000+ on the lawn), I'm guessing the grass capacity is more like 5,000-6,000. Anyone know the actual dimensions? And where in the world 12,000 people would park should it actually accommodate that many?

I honestly think people have a problem with perception of space.  500-700 isn't really that large for that space.  You can totally get about 12k people in that area.  Pretty sure the PR staff have a better idea of their own construction project than arm chair twitter warriors.

For comparison, they are saying this is enough space for double the capacity of Red Hat Amphitheater or 2,000 more than the capacity of the Wake Med soccer stadium or Durham Bulls ballpark. :silly:

I think they must be including all the people sitting in traffic on Six Forks and the beltway. :dontknow:

• 3 months later...

I think it looks a bit too squat and featureless for a downtown tower. Kane tends to favor squat designs, likes big floors when he can get them. I actually prefer the Edison office to this because of that.

For a suburban office tower it's attractive though. Shame those floors weren't on Charter Square instead.

Edited by Spatula

I kind of thought the Edison block and NHE block had some similarities. Two mid size towers, and a 7 story residential component with retail on the ground floor. NHE will be more than that at build out of course, but anyway...thats how it looks to me at least...

• 5 weeks later...

Kane is expected to invest more than $250 million in North Hills development projects in 2013:

http://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2013/01/28/slideshow-check-out-raleighs.html

I work in SouthPark in Charlotte, so picture #2 made me think of SouthPark, which currently has a few office/apartment/hotel projects in the works.