North Hills / Midtown area developments

DigitalSky

On 12/10/2022 at 8:51 PM, Jones_ said:

I am truly not a 'what about the traffic' guy but does anyone at all have concerns that maybe St Albans can't possibly in any way provide enough vehicle capacity to support this place? A two lane road with only two ways onto it?  This is where Raleigh's complete lack of planning is going to come home to roost finally. 

I haven't looked at the layout/plans in a long time- will there not be any access via Wake Forest Road? It might be a little too far back, and that fugly outdated Hilton might be in the way. One could also get there from Navaho to Benson.  They do seem ready to restripe St Albans to 4 lanes though.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I take it this forum is aware of the proposed new road connecting the Computer Drive area to Quail Hollow/StAlbans? The city said there was a survey about the 3 options but I couldn't find it. No funding at all yet so guessing it'd be years and years out. Anyway, its an obvious place to connect the area and I am glad its being considered officially now at least. 

• Like 3

On 12/12/2022 at 9:58 AM, Raleigh Walker said:

I haven't looked at the layout/plans in a long time- will there not be any access via Wake Forest Road? It might be a little too far back, and that fugly outdated Hilton might be in the way. One could also get there from Navaho to Benson.  They do seem ready to restripe St Albans to 4 lanes though.

There is no space for improvements at this late date beyond the unfunded proposed bridge to the Computer Drive area (over the belt line). St Albans ties to Dartmouth on the west (and tiny residential street) and to Wake Forest Road at Duke Raleigh Hospital which is really just a three way intersection (the St Albans extension isn't aligned and just ties to a hemmed in old country road) in an already massively over capacity area. Hardimont was extended from Wake Forest Road to St Albans through a small new neighborhood street back in the late 90's which was a huge missed opportunity to make St Albans be higher capacity road straight up to Hardimont/New Hope Church. At the time the City was thinking this will be a low density residential area but now its a extremely high density area with no way in or out. Nothing at all conceived of this stretch of St Albans having something like this on it, it can't handle it, and yet there it is. The traffic jams will extend into the development from each direction (Six Forks and Wake Forest Road). The City should just buy out little Tufts Court, and make that St Albans/Hardimont alignment, then finish dropping Quail Hollow down to St Albans (Navaho Drive even but the income disparities will prevent that from ever happening) for something that looks like two proper city blocks. The idea of these developments along the belt line is great on the surface but the planning level of 0/10 for them is absolutely pathetic. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dmccall said:

Tonight was the first open house for the Midtown Multimodal Bridge, a connectivity project that will connect Barrett Drive, Quail Hollow Drive, and Wake Towne Drive. The non-intersectional bridge would pass over I-440 between Six Forks and Wake Forest Roads. So far Alternative 2 is the leader in the public survey voting:
image.thumb.png.2b6bd4bb55c410e569df2512179d373e.png

The proposal should include connecting all of Quail Hollow. This is just the orphaned section. A few more feet and you're connected all the way to Millbrook. Put in speed reduction measures if you have to on the northern end of Quail Hollow but this is the sort of super basic connectivity that has to happen or this low density road design that reigns supreme in Raleigh will ensure the high density stuff being built will lock things up big time. 

Edited by Jones_
  • Like 1

Yep! Connection to Quail Hollow Drive is the first goal for Action AP-MT in the Midtown section of the Comprehensive Plan for Raleigh.

The whole triangle of 440/Six Forks/Wake Forest is a suburban mess plopped down to meet Raleigh's perimeter needs 65 years ago, and there isn't a single structure in that triangle that isn't outdated. It's time to raze it all and replace it with something that makes more sense. With that, I'd even go so far as to use this to connect Quail Hollow to Anderson. NIMBYs, especially those on Anderson, would never allow that to happen.

There is also a stated action to put a pedestrian and bicycle bridge over I-440 from Bush St. to Industrial Dr. (near Carvana).

• 3 weeks later...

Well it looks like more high rises on the North Hills shopping center side are done for awhile.  Kane pulled their rezoning.

""Kane Realty Corp. has pulled its rezoning request seeking new high-rises in North Hills, hitting pause on part of a major effort to transform the shopping and entertainment district in Raleigh.

The real estate developer has told the city to drop its rezoning request, which would've allowed buildings up to 37-stories. When reached Tuesday, Bonner Gaylord, Kane's chief operating officer, declined to talk about the situation.""
https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2023/03/07/kane-pulls-north-hills-rezoning-raleigh.html

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Well it looks like more high rises on the North Hills shopping center side are done for awhile.  Kane pulled their rezoning.

""Kane Realty Corp. has pulled its rezoning request seeking new high-rises in North Hills, hitting pause on part of a major effort to transform the shopping and entertainment district in Raleigh.

The real estate developer has told the city to drop its rezoning request, which would've allowed buildings up to 37-stories. When reached Tuesday, Bonner Gaylord, Kane's chief operating officer, declined to talk about the situation.""
https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2023/03/07/kane-pulls-north-hills-rezoning-raleigh.html

Just part of the development slow down happening around the US. There's still a lot of already approved development plans in North Hills queueing to start. I know the 23 story residential tower should start up soon.  Also the current city council is anti-development so I'm guessing Kane going to wait until there's a more favorable market and city council in the future. 

Edited by carolina1792
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, carolina1792 said:

Just part of the development slow down happening around the US. There's still a lot of already approved development plans in North Hills queueing to start. I know the 23 story residential tower should start up soon.  Also the current city council is anti-development so I'm guessing Kane going to wait until there's a more favorable market and city council in the future. 

thats sorta what I think.  Office space is in flux to say the least and Kane has enough preapproved on the other side to keep him going for a couple of years.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/17/2023 at 10:00 AM, dmccall said:

Yep! Connection to Quail Hollow Drive is the first goal for Action AP-MT in the Midtown section of the Comprehensive Plan for Raleigh.

The whole triangle of 440/Six Forks/Wake Forest is a suburban mess plopped down to meet Raleigh's perimeter needs 65 years ago, and there isn't a single structure in that triangle that isn't outdated. It's time to raze it all and replace it with something that makes more sense. With that, I'd even go so far as to use this to connect Quail Hollow to Anderson. NIMBYs, especially those on Anderson, would never allow that to happen.

There is also a stated action to put a pedestrian and bicycle bridge over I-440 from Bush St. to Industrial Dr. (near Carvana).

Most of the structures are very much fine and should picked up and moved elsewhere for the proper urban connecting fabric that is needed in this area. Supply chain shortages of everything make moving existing homes a no brainer rather than landfilling all of those materials. 

On 3/7/2023 at 6:36 PM, carolina1792 said:

This city council couldn't possibly be any more pro development.