AIDS evolves into new deadlier strain?

PghUSA

New strain of AIDS now 3/4ths resistant to treatment and develops full blown symptoms in 2-3 months?

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=100...id=azBO_AumTJhs

Small Excerpt:

Bloomberg News:``We've identified this strain of HIV that is difficult or impossible to treat and which appears to progress rapidly to AIDS,'' said New York City Health Commissioner Thomas Frieden. ``We have not seen a case like this before. It holds the potential for a very serious public health problem.'' . . . While drug resistance is increasingly common among patients who have been treated for HIV, cases of three-class antiretroviral-resistant HIV -- or 3-DCR HIV -- in newly diagnosed, previously untreated patients are extremely rare, and the combination of this pattern of drug resistance and rapid progression to AIDS may not have been seen previously, the health department said in a news release.

The strain found in New York was ``highly unusual,'' said Ronald Valdiserri, 53, deputy director of the National Center for HIV, Sexually Transmitted Diseases and Tuberculosis at the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in an interview.

``We're talking about a single case, but clearly the fact that we are dealing with such broad resistance of drugs and the rapid clinical progression is quite alarming,'' Valdiserri said.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This sucks, I hope someday we can really beat this disease. Research is the key, and I just wished there was more of an organized effort. It seems like there's tens of different organizations doing research independent from one another and not enough of a concentrated effort anymore.

They should create an HIV/AIDS research center and pool talent together instead of wasting resources. I don't care where it comes from - private, public, or private/public partnerships.

not to sound completely cold hearted, but the faster they get sick the better it is for the rest of us. It's long latency period is a big reason that it's spread so far. People have it for years without knowing about it and spread it around.

The fact that it's mutating like this is not good at all. I'm with heckles on this. This needs to be stopped at all costs.

Another partially related note... My doctor told me I should get a Tb vaccine. He said that it was almost wiped out world wide before AIDS, but now it's increasing around the world.

Archived