brewerw

170 members have voted

1. 1. Nashville or Memphis

• Nashville
    • Memphis

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

uh oh, this could get ugly. ;) i'd say nashville by a close margin. business wise i think nashville has a little more going for it which will help the economic growth, and in turn help the population grow too (hopefully all within the county, if not anything but to appease heckles :lol: ). memphis is close on nashville's heels though. i'm glad both cities are taking off.

Batman vs. PNC tower

Liberty bowl vs. the Coliseum

Beale st. vs 2nd AVE.

Hernado Desoto Bridge vs. Gateway bridge

Fed ex forum vs. the GEC.\

Auto zone park vs Greer stadium

Blues vs Country music

mud island vs. Riverfront park.

Memphis skyline vs Nashville skyline.

Elvis vs. George Jones.

Germantown vs Brentwood,

the plains vs the Highlands

I think its a close call. but since I live in Nashville and all of the construction going on here the score Nashville 8 Memphis 7

I think it is fair to compare how each city is doing in areas that are relevant to this forum. You don't know how well you are doing unless you have something to compare to. i.e. What is each doing right, wrong and what can be learned from the other.

Pointless bashing however will not be tolerated and anyone doing so here will have to deal with the consequences. So be nice and maybe we can have one of these discussions here where it isn't possible on the other forums.

I don't think the two cities, or people in them, pay enough attention to the other to hold any serious discussions such as this. I'm pretty astute about many things, but Memphis is "over there somewhere" and I just really don't pay much attention to what goes on...it's a different place, in a different universe, and the papers say very little unless it's to report on one of their more colorful nutty politicians.

Other than that, the only time recently I've heard Memphis mentioned is when someone described some huge Baptist Church complex east of town as Six Flags Over Jesus. Now, that, I liked. lol

I don't think the two cities, or people in them, pay enough attention to the other to hold any serious discussions such as this. I'm pretty astute about many things, but Memphis is "over there somewhere" and I just really don't pay much attention to what goes on...it's a different place, in a different universe, and the papers say very little unless it's to report on one of their more colorful nutty politicians.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This sounds much like NC with the names changed to Charlotte & Raleigh. LOL

Other than that, the only time recently I've heard Memphis mentioned is when someone described some huge Baptist Church complex east of town as Six Flags Over Jesus. Now, that, I liked. lol

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

my ex-girlfriend used to go there. i went once and it was massive. IT HAS ITS OWN INTERSTATE EXIT! i love that six flags over jesus thing, that's really funny :rofl: .

One critique I have of Nashville is that the city seems a little too eager to dispel its honky-tonk stereotype. I'm not saying that stereotype ever actually reflected the reality of the city, just that it did give the city an identity and color which fewer and fewer places have nowadays. There was an article in the NYTimes travel section about that a year or two ago.

And some of the reasons given for trying to get away from that image were that it was bad for business. Really, I don't think any serious business intent on relocation ever gave a hoot about that stereotype.

Memphis tends to embrace and wallow in its past more, at least the music thing which I consider a positive. And they've made a big thing with roots/cultural tourism.

Probably a lot of this has to do with a belief that the blues, soul, and rock and roll are somehow cooler than country and western.

But I think Hank Williams (Sr. of course) and Kitty Wells are just as cool as B.B. King and Jerry Lee Lewis.

You're right, sleepy. Nashvillians often don't understand the honky-tonk. Why would they, they're city people? In order to understand and really get into what it all means requires a true concentrated effort and a little bit of bravery. By that I mean, the balls to go into some of the off the beaten path bars and music joints and hear people who have come from hundreds and hundreds of miles to pour their souls out like no other place in the world. I can't explain it here, and won't try. But I for one, do have the balls, and have experienced the underworld of what makes Nashville truly special to so many across the world. It can't be shared here. No way. I truly wish I could, but I won't even try. Trust me, I appreciate it... a lot.

I think that the Nashville history is great. I also think that country is no longer country. I love all kinds of music but when i think of country i think more bluegrass than Rcokin' Roll. Its not that i dont like the new "country" but its not the same. I also think its important that people know that country and bluegrass are not the only muic produced. There are rock records, country records, and the largest selection or christian music(my least favorite <_< ).Nasvhille is a great city, with a great history and many great years to come.

Oh yes, lil' Brew-man, but did you see the paper this morning with the black man in the cowboy hat (part of the Big & Rich Music Mafia -Gretchen Wilson, etc.) who's putting out an album of HICK HOP music...black country rap?

For some reason, I'm getting intrigued by this. How fun...we hope.

Oh yes, lil' Brew-man, but did you see the paper this morning with the black man in the cowboy hat (part of the Big & Rich Music Mafia -Gretchen Wilson, etc.) who's putting out an album of HICK HOP music...black country rap?

For some reason, I'm getting intrigued by this. How fun...we hope.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i think the musik mafia is a great thing to have hit nashville. i like the fact that it's kinda breaking up this pop country stuff.

I like Nashville and Memphis, but I just think that Memphis has more of a big city, historic feel to it. I like the big River, I like the Rendezvous, I like the proximity to Mississippi (the Delta and Oxford). In terms of future growth, Nashville probably has the lead, but if I had to choose between the two as a place to live, I would pick Memphis.

I like Nashville and Memphis, but I just think that Memphis has more of a big city, historic feel to it.  I like the big River, I like the Rendezvous, I like the proximity to Mississippi (the Delta and Oxford).  In terms of future growth, Nashville probably has the lead, but if I had to choose between the two as a place to live, I would pick Memphis.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

oh man, i love the rendezvous too. that is the best dry rub bbq i've ever had! i'm going to oxford this weekend too.

Gator's right. Memphis was always the state's largest city. No doubt about that. I remember family vacations and passing through Memphis as a kid thinking how big city it was. That's why I'm really glad Memphis is so close. It's an easy day trip or overnighter, or weekend getaway. The people of Nashville are so lucky in that regard. If you just want to run away for a day, in 3 hours in any direction, you can be in Memphis, or Birmingham, or Louisville, or Knoxville, Chattanooga in 2, Atlanta in 4, St. Louis in 5. I've left Nashville early in the morning, driven to Chicago, had a great lunch and bit of sightseeing and still got home by midnight.

Nashville's metro is larger now, but in the scale of the "city" itself, we could never approach the old Memphis, never. We'll have to live with being one of those bright shiny new fangled cities with some of the good ol' crap and grit thrown in for good measure.

Archived