170 members have voted

1. 1. Nashville or Memphis

• Nashville
    • Memphis

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And Bingo, you're there!

Where's your spirit of adventure cheerio?

I've done New Orleans the same way. Got an itch for Cafe du Monde? A quick few hours away (beware the trek across southern Mississippi, tho'...it gets a bit scary) and you're sippin' chickory coffee and eating beigneits (someone spell this for me, pls).

cheerio, I don't encourage these little adventures until you're at least 21 or so...so you can at least dream about 'em for a while.

Justin, takes me a bit longer, but you drive too fast, you demon.

Yeah, I know, I know. Yesterday, I made it to Birmingham from Nashville in two hours, seventeen minutes -- it was 192 miles from where I left from.

I guess that averages out to just over 90 MPH...

And yes, my Caddy's speedometer hit the peg at 140 a few times, but hey, I was going to be late for a meeting at work ;)

Just don't tell anyone else I did that :lol:

Ugh, let's not talk car talk. Was on my way to Stoney River for dinner tonight and was getting onto the interstate at the Gerst House and some fellow shot a gap in the traffic going from the parking lot at the Gerst House to the parking lot across the street.....and well, the bf''s new Accord planted itself quite nicely into the side of the F150. I was driving. He just came out of the blue and whammo! What a mess. What a drag.

Fortunately, he was the one driving perpendicular to the traffic on the one-way street. BTW, no one hurt...Rick's pissed...to say the least. His air bags deployed. Luckily, ours didn't.

I know this doesn't really have to do with anything, but it's fresh on my mind. Grrrrrr.

Hey, I'm the King of Off-Topic Discussions, so please, continue... :lol:

That certainly sucks... I know exactly where you're talking about. I hope the guy had insurance. I've had a few close calls lately ( when I've been in Nashville, ironically... Can't you people drive? ;) ) and I've worried that I would be hit by an uninsured motorist. Even with the law, so many people still drive uninsured... ugh.

• 3 weeks later...

:rofl:

This is ridiculous!!!

Nashville without the slightest doubt!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agreed. Given the fact that it was a late-bloomer compared to Memphis in downtown residential, Nashville certainly has more unrealized potential.

i vote nashvegas, I give memphis one award for having a great atmosphere when it comes to entertainment. Beale st is a great places to go. Nashville 2nd ave is cool but its the same ole people every weekend.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

From what I understand, not too many locals in either city go to either Beale Street or 2nd Avenue. While Beale Street has a somewhat sinister, bluesy atmosphere at night, it's mainly for the tourists, and I suspect 2nd Avenue is as well.

If you're in Memphis and want to hear blues, go to a place like the Hard Luck Cafe in the ghetto:

medium.jpg

Most of the locals are turned off by all if the tourists on lower Broad and 2nd Ave, but it doesn't stop everyone from going down there. On any given summer day, most of the people down there are tourists...but on gamedays for either the Preds or Titans (and hopefully soon to be Sounds) the streets are taken over by locals looking for a little bit of pregame food or a good time at a local club after the games...people only go down there if they have a reason to.

i'd have to disagree about the 2nd avenue thing. i know a ton of locals who go to the clubs on 2nd ave. i used to go to buffalo billiards and havana lounge, but i got tired of all the crowds. a lot of local college and high school kids are packed in lines from hooters to hurricanes. it is the same old people though. i prefer the 21st ave area myself.

It's a good mix, I think. I go there sometimes just to watch the people. The Wildhorse is, of course, tourists. There are locals, too, but none of the other clubs have giant coach tours dropping off people by the hundreds. The Music Row Roundabout area is a good spot for locals, usually the young, trendy crowd and then you have Bound'ry and South Street for the pretty ones. There's so much going on all over, now 12 South, Hillsboro Village and Green Hills it's hard to choose where to go nowadays. I'm not a clubber anymore, so wherever the good restaurants are (or some good dives), that's where you'll find me.

Downtown's about to crank up anyway ...standing room only in the warm months.

Hi!

You mention that the Gulch are is really changing... I would love to know what is going on over there right now.... please post some pics!!! Have they already widened the streets? Is the landscaping being done? I am really excited about the project! Would love to have all info!!!

Paula

The Station Inn is an institution - a definite "must-see" for any Nashville resident. I try to take all of my out-of-town guests there for a little taste of Nashville. BTW, that area is really changing - http://www.nashvillegulch.com. I anticipate the changes in the coming months/years.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Streets are about finished with the new infrastructure. Landscaping...later. Bristol Development closed on the BellSouth phone building overlooking the Gulch for a project, but I don't know when that's scheduled.

This is a project that will evolve, rather than go up like a new mall, so it will take a long time to do. The existing Demonbreun Street viaduct bridge will be removed soon, and construction can begin on the new one. I anticipate some new on the large retail component soon.

This will be worth the wait. Be patient, Paula.

Archived