Nashville or Memphis

brewerw

170 members have voted

1. 1. Nashville or Memphis

• Nashville
    • Memphis

I had a less-than-accurate opinion of Memphis for years...until I visited. I suggest everyone in Nashville take a field trip there and see what it's all about. There's definately a mystique about the place and I'm proud that it's part of Tennessee. If you don't get a certain thrill over the smoky, Mississippi River, bluesy atmosphere so readily available to you in Memphis, then you need to do an emotional check.

On your way into the city from the east, just ignore the huge Six Flags Over Jesus complex right off the interstate. When you get into the city, you'll find plenty to fascinate you. It's a very cool day trip from Nashville.

As a matter of fact, Nashville can take day trips to lots of good places. Memphis, Birmingham, Louisville, Knoxville, Chattanooga, Atlanta. The only way to know these places is to "feel" them for yourself. We're lucky to be in the middle.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Memphis has "only" 40 and 55 right now (which has made Memphis the #3 trucking corridor in the nation), but 69 and 22 are on the way, and a controversial fifth (Memphis-Huntsville-Atlanta via US72) has been discussed/planned/in the works. Logistics, transportation, and general connections-wise, (airports, highways, rail service, cargo service, river transportation, light rail, etc) I think Memphis has a ton of potential. I'd love to see how it compares to Nashville.

Yeah I agree its exciting to see Memphis getting two new interstates. I still put Nashville over the top because of the skyline compared to Memphis...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nashville's skyline is more modern. Memphis has the historic look, but doesn't have a steel and/or glass signature tower to modernize its look. I think street-level-wise, Memphis is ahead, but Nashville is starting to hit its stride as well.

I don't care which but I choose Memphis because I live here, lol, I really don't care which though, There both the same really. And to me beale st and all those othe attractions don't seem all thst fun. ooo on beale st there might be a few stores and stuff, I don't see the big deal, I guess it's because I live here.

Correct me if im wrong, but isnt that^ what Bud Adams said about the NFL and Memphis?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Happy to correct you. Bud Adams never said it.

Do you have any clue why Memphis didn't support the Oilers--after selling out NFL exhibitions for a dozen years? Do you think Houston would go rah rah over a Dallas team that parked itself in Houston for a year waiting to get a new stadium in Dallas? It was never Memphis' team.

And BTW--Vandy stadium wasn't always sold out the team's first year in Nashville. You think Bud Adams said Nashville was too poor and white? Makes as much sense.

Memphis has "only" 40 and 55 right now (which has made Memphis the #3 trucking corridor in the nation), but 69 and 22 are on the way, and a controversial fifth (Memphis-Huntsville-Atlanta via US72) has been discussed/planned/in the works.  Logistics, transportation, and general connections-wise, (airports, highways, rail service, cargo service, river transportation, light rail, etc) I think Memphis has a ton of potential.  I'd love to see how it compares to Nashville.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Memphis is also the nation's third largest rail center after Chicago and St. Louis, as well as the world's largest air cargo port, and the nation's 3rd largest inland port after St. Louis and Pittsburgh.

Memphis is also the nation's third largest rail center after Chicago and St. Louis, as well as the world's largest air cargo port, and the nation's 3rd largest inland port after St. Louis and Pittsburgh.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

3rd largest inland port? That's like saying you're the 4th largest tropical snow ski resort.

But in all seriousness, yes, Memphis is a very large distribution center and always has been. That's the reason it became a large city in the first place. It's also big in banking among other things. Meanwhile Nashville is big in health care, publishing and the music business. I think its also important to note that Tennessee's largest industry is the hospitality industry and last year Davidson County was the leader in hotel tax revenue with 56.6 million. Shelby County was second with 45.5 and Gatlinburg came in third with 14.8 million. We're comparing apples and oranges here and that's just pointless. This thread should have died a long time ago.

http://nashville.bizjournals.com/nashville.../30/daily8.html

Happy to correct you.  Bud Adams never said it.

Do you have any clue why Memphis didn't support the Oilers--after selling out NFL exhibitions for a dozen years?  Do you think Houston would go rah rah over a Dallas team that parked itself in Houston for a year waiting to get a new stadium in Dallas?  It was never Memphis' team.

And BTW--Vandy stadium wasn't always sold out the team's first year in Nashville.  You think Bud Adams said Nashville was too poor and white?  Makes as much sense.

i agree, having the titans play in memphis was a bit of a slap in the face. it's like wanting a new car only to see your sibling get it and them say, "well i'll let you ride with me." and the thing about vandy stadium not selling out, when has it ever sold out? besides ut games :P

3rd largest inland port? That's like saying you're the 4th largest tropical snow ski resort.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not really.

Pittsburgh ranks ahead of Los Angeles, Philadelphia, and Baltimore in tonnage. St. Louis ranks ahead of Portland. And Memphis ranks ahead of Oakland.

Those are all major seaports. The inland US port system is quite large.

Memphis is doin pretty well with all that shipping. Is it still the case that EVERY FedEx package goes through memphis?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'd be surprised if that was still true. FedEx has expanded its hub network, I would think *some* packages wouldn't have to go through Memphis.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Also, not to dwell on logistics, but I believe almost every rail carrier is either expanding or has already expanded its facilities in the past five-ten years (UP has already done so, and the 4 other carriers will be). Plus, the expansion going on at the airport, the Tunica airport being built, and the possibilities that exist with the Blytheville (former Eaker AFB) and Millington airports to either locate manufacturing plants or host some air activity . . .

They both have so much potential. Of course, the main business focus in Memphis is distribution and biotechnology. While healthcare and entertainment are thriving in Nashville. Downtown Memphis is experiencing outstanding revitalization efforts, while downtown Nashville seems to be being built with all the new buildings and all. Most new office buildings in Memphis are in the center of the city close to the never ending Poplar Avenue. The two cities are pretty much tit for tat although crime in Memphis is a big problem, but the crime situation will lessen in the near future.

To borrow a format from a popular sports mag, I have worked up the following comparison. (With an obvous bias)

Pro Sports:

Nashville; NFL, NFL, NFL, NHL /MIA Hockey (a moderate success), AAA Baseball struggling, Busch Race and IRL

Memphis; NBA (and 4 playoff games a year), Strong pro golf, tennis events, Great AAA baseball stadium and support

Edge; Nashville, Memphis is strong, but NFL trumps all

College Sports

Nashville; SEC, Vandy is actually competitive in everything but football; Mid-majors (OVC, Sunbelt) well represented and supported in area; run of the mill Bowl game; hosts one or more NCAA post season basketball events almost yearly

Memphis; Memphis football occasionally plays SEC teams, basketball first class but losing big rivals (Louisville, Cincinnati); Liberty Bowl is above average

Edge; Nashville easily, If Vandy football were any good, it wouldn

To borrow a format from a popular sports mag, I have worked up the following comparison. (With an obvous bias)

College Sports

Nashville; SEC, Vandy is actually competitive in everything but football; Mid-majors (OVC, Sunbelt) well represented and supported in area; run of the mill Bowl game; hosts one or more NCAA post season basketball events almost yearly

Memphis; Memphis football occasionally plays SEC teams, basketball first class but losing big rivals (Louisville, Cincinnati); Liberty Bowl is above average

Edge; Nashville easily, If Vandy football were any good, it wouldn

I think the advantage in arts goes to Memphis. Not only the stuff mentioned above, but Wonders, as well. Art galleries, two symphonies, ballet and opera are nationally recognized (if not on a global scale), and a growing theater industry.

When it comes to music, Memphis never left the game when it comes to recording, and is returning in a big way when it comes to breeding stars in rock, rap, crunk, and independent music.

Movies has already been mentioned.

I stated earlier in this thread, I don't think there is much difference except for the amount and the array of skyscrapers we have in Nashville. Nashville and Memphis have had a "friendly" competition for years. However, at my hotel; guests from Memphis say they like Nashville better mainly because of the political corruption in Memphis. They say JohnFord has done nothing but RAPE Memphis for all it had, and it shows now since it has all come out. If I were to choose between Knoxville, Chattanooga or Memphis, I would choose Knoxville then Chattanooga first to live.

I'd have to go with Chattanooga. The size of UT would just irritate me.

I love Chattanooga, such a cool little city. Close to the mountains, two hops from Atlanta, two more hops to Nashville (and Knox). Chatt has a really good vide that I've never noticed in Knoxville...I need to look closer to Knox, I guess.

However, at my hotel; guests from Memphis say they like Nashville better mainly because of the political corruption in Memphis. They say JohnFord has done nothing but RAPE Memphis for all it had, and it shows now since it has all come out. If I were to choose between Knoxville, Chattanooga or Memphis, I would choose Knoxville then Chattanooga first to live.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And most of those guests would hightail it to Williamson County if they moved there.

John Ford had nothing to do with city government or city money. He was a state senator. And as I've posted earlier in this thread, Memphis city government is ranked a click above Nashville city government in government efficiency.

As far as where to live, I like an urban feel and would take New Orleans by far, then Memphis a distant second. The rest of Tennessee's cities are too suburban for my taste.

New Orleans is a disaster waiting to happen. I'd never live there. Most of the city is below sea level and it is surrounded by dikes that are only designed to withstand category three and below hurricanes. The city is basically a dry lake that has to be pumped free of water constantly. The current pumping system can only handle about 5 inches of rain a day or there is major flooding in the city. No thanks...I'll just visit the city to enjoy it.

All this intrastate bickering is ridiculous.

True, GTG, New Orleans will get zapped one day with a Category 4 or 5 direct hit and one of the country's most interesting cities will be gone. Might be this summer, might be 100 years from now. I'll just check the weather before I go.

Memphis will probably one day suffer a similar fate with a monstrous earthquake, but in geological terms, there's no way to know when any of that will happen. Still, I'm happy on my little solid limestone foundation and inland location. Hey, but that certainly won't cut back on my visits in the meantime. Pretty scary stuff.

Archived