Nashville or Memphis

brewerw

170 members have voted

1. 1. Nashville or Memphis

• Nashville
    • Memphis

Tunica and DeSoto counties are very much part of the Memphis metro, and definitely included in the Census Bureau's defintion of the Memphis MSA. DeSoto is to Memphis what Rutherford is to Nashville. ;)

I-555 is the upgrade of the highway between West Memphis and Jonesboro, AR. It's 90% complete and will be interstate grade for it's 50 +/- mile length.

Thanks guys for the great explanations. How in the world can one person not consider the metro are because it is in another state. Tell that to Washington DC, New York, Cincinnati, Louisville, St Louis, Chicago, CHarlotte. That is hilarious. We live and work with these people every day but we can't count them? Sorry Justiceham! : -_-

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks guys for the great explanations. How in the world can one person not consider the metro are because it is in another state. Tell that to Washington DC, New York, Cincinnati, Louisville, St Louis, Chicago, CHarlotte. That is hilarious. We live and work with these people every day but we can't count them? Sorry Justiceham! : -_-

In Memphis, much like the cities you named, state lines are really nothing more than county lines. The ease with which Nashvillians cross over into Williamson County resembles the ease Memphians have crossing into DeSoto. When I'm in DeSoto, I'm often shocked to think I'm in Mississippi because it resembles West Tennessee and there are Tennessee plates everywhere. Plus, we're not talking far-flung suburbs here... DeSoto is 15 minutes from downtown Memphis and it's solid urbanization on both sides of the state line.

Geez...you'd think I lived there! :lol:

Apology accepted :thumbsup:

Memphis has the edge in entertainment. Nashville in population growth, job growth and skyline.

Look at the previous posts when referring to job growth. The future skyline will be great with what is proposed in a couple of years. No one can win in the debate. As long as we all prosper that is fine with me. But Memphis Metro is in a major upswing and may be one of the biggest in the country with what is included in Desoto/Tunica.

I don't know why people argue about this stuff....as long as both cities are prospering why does it really matter? We should be talking about what we can be doing to help smaller communities like Knoxville, Chattanooga, Clarksville, etc etc become large urban areas.

I believe most people do not want to accept defeat. Instead of saying my city is better because of...or your city makes better use at...we tend to use one sided arguments as determining the be all end all to who wins, which is not the point of this thread. The point is to look at what each city has to offer and learn from others mistakes or successes. Memphis has been successful at really blending culture, functionality, and uniqueness into their streetscapes, attractions, and riverfront while Nashville has been successful at creating more jobs, expanding businesses, attracting corporate headquarters, and music (just to name a few for both cities). Saying "Well in ten years my city will be big and bad" or "You're city won't be in the same league as mine" doesn't do anything for thread nor defines what the future holds because no one can do that. The bigger question is "What is your city doing now in order to prepare for the future?"

Look at the previous posts when referring to job growth. The future skyline will be great with what is proposed in a couple of years. No one can win in the debate. As long as we all prosper that is fine with me. But Memphis Metro is in a major upswing and may be one of the biggest in the country with what is included in Desoto/Tunica.

The prospects for Memphis is great given what's in place to help it position for the future, particularly in logistics; the improvements on tap I don't know if I've seen anything comparable when it comes to a city this size (4 interstates: 555, 69/269, 22, and the future US72; all five railroads either have expanded or will be expanding and improving facilities, improvements at the airport and the Port of Memphis, light rail plans, etc). The achievements have been made without leveraging some of the traits (such as education and street-level regional boosterism and pride) that other peer cities have been able to leverage; once Memphis is able to leverage those, it will open the door to higher things. And potential isn't settling on the doors, but realizing what is possible behind them. To use a track metaphor, I don't think Memphis is close to hitting its stride yet because of that. It's technique and mechanics aren't perfect, and it's still able to run pretty well. I think other peer cities are closer to hitting their max speed, so to speak, particularly those in front of Memphis, although I'm sure all cities can point to things that can be improved to make them, say, more aerodynamic.

The prospects for Memphis is great given what's in place to help it position for the future, particularly in logistics; the improvements on tap I don't know if I've seen anything comparable when it comes to a city this size (4 interstates: 555, 69/269, 22, and the future US72; all five railroads either have expanded or will be expanding and improving facilities, improvements at the airport and the Port of Memphis, light rail plans, etc). The achievements have been made without leveraging some of the traits (such as education and street-level regional boosterism and pride) that other peer cities have been able to leverage; once Memphis is able to leverage those, it will open the door to higher things. And potential isn't settling on the doors, but realizing what is possible behind them. To use a track metaphor, I don't think Memphis is close to hitting its stride yet because of that. It's technique and mechanics aren't perfect, and it's still able to run pretty well. I think other peer cities are closer to hitting their max speed, so to speak, particularly those in front of Memphis, although I'm sure all cities can point to things that can be improved to make them, say, more aerodynamic.

I think I agree... :blink:

Well said.

Archived