Grand Blanc Developments

tropolis

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think there's too much coming at the same time as far as the malls. Aren't Deer Park and Trillium Circle going to add up to like 1,000,000 sq. ft? I don't think they'll just be depending on Grand Blanc residents to use this, which make them compete with other shopping centers in the Flint area.

The Genesee Valley Mall is finishing up its renovation (and is looking quite nice!) and is going to start work on it "lifestyle center" addition, and Courtland Center is undergoing renovations, as well. There's also a shopping center coming to Vienna Twp./Clio at somewhere between 3-600,000 sq. ft.

Downtown Grand Blanc is getting Grand Blanc Town Centre. Flint, Fenton, Flushing, Davison and probably a lot of other cities in the metro are fixing up their downtowns and trying to attract more businesses as well.

It's just too much right now. Grand Blanc does need more shopping options - Grand Mall doesn't cut it, LOL - but I don't think there needs to be 3 shopping centers of that size coming at the same time. Somebody is going to lose out, and I have a feeling that the Town Centre will be that somebody. It's easily the best plan of the three considering it'll actually have housing included in the development and not just blend in with our numerous strip malls. One of the other two projects shouldn't be built, but I don't know enough about Trillium Circle to decide.

Supposedly the subdivision wildfire has slowed down a little bit. I don't spend much time at all in GB anymore, and I am looking at moving to downtown Detroit in May, so I don't really see how things are changing around my hometown anymore.

My parents are already hating the increase in traffic. The last time I was in GB I don't think I'd ever seen traffic on Saginaw Street so bad.

I know that the evil Walmart empire is setting up shop at the former Deer Park. Apparently Meijers still wants to put a location at Baldwin & Holly Roads. They had a planning and zoning meeting about that two weeks ago. Trillium Circle I don't know much about, except that I grew up less than a mile from it, and that it will have the largest cinema in Genesee County, along with a new & expanded Colony Market.

The town center project is the least likely to happen. They keep running into obstacles, and they can't get the retailers and restaurants they want to sign leases for space there.

I think the new town centre project will look like the current downtown, with 2-story buildings that have stores at the bottom and upstairs apartments. But it doesnt look like a big project, though.

About the subdivisions, There are 2 subdivisions being built on center road, so i think the spread has redirected to that road. There is still room for 1 or 2 more subdivisons between burton and GB.

I thought the original town center plans called for the buildings to be 3 stories. I'm not sure about that though.

post-67-1108424094_thumb.jpg

My parents live in the southern portion of the township, and it seems like most of the development is occuring there. There is a growing amount of development in the northern portion of the township, however.

post-67-1108424094_thumb.jpg

Not technically Grand Blanc, but many people consider it in the "Grand Blanc Area". I think these shopping centers are getting out of hand. 700,000 more sq. ft. of sprawly retail??

---------------------------------------------------------

Supercenter neighbors?

Developer woos Mundy Twp. for Hill Road stores

MUNDY TOWNSHIP

THE FLINT JOURNAL FIRST EDITION

Tuesday, February 22, 2005

By Bob Wheaton

[email protected]

It just seems like 2M+ sq. ft. of new retail construction is so much in a relatively concentrated area. I agree about Grand Blanc being underserved, though.

Anybody know a good website with mall statistics like total area, year built, etc.? I'm trying to put things in perspective for myself. I once knew a great site like that, but that was at least 5 years ago...

According to my parents, Meijer still wants to put a new store at Baldwin & Holly Roads. I'm not sure whether this would be one of the new Meijer Supercenter stores like we have in Southfield or just a regular Meijer. All I know is that they needed to have the land rezoned from industrial to commercial, which I'm sure the township had no problem approving. I remember when Holly Road was all fields, woods, and houses...it wasn't that long ago either.

I will keep my eye out for a website with mall statistics. I have one on my favorites list at home, but I don't know what the name of it is.

Oh cool, thanks.

I hope GB gets a Meijer. I like that and the idea of the cineplex and a strip of restaurants that are parts of some of the proposals the most. These will definitely fill a void in the area.

BTW, what do the Meijer Supercenter stores have that the regular Meijers don't? Seems like the regular ones cover just about everything.

I'm not sure what's different about the Super Meijer stores. The Southfield location is a prototype, but it hasn't opened yet. Or at least it hadn't as of last week. All I really know is that the Super Meijers are supposed to carry more products, and are designed to compete with Walmart. The nearest Meijer to here is at 15 Mile & Coolidge, so it will be nice to have one only three miles away. There is a Sam's Club down on 8 Mile, but I don't know where the nearest Walmart is. Not that I'd ever shop there! I do most of my shopping at the Kmart on Telegraph in Detroit, or at the Farmer Jack on 10 Mile.

I guess the gym is a bit behind schedule then. When we initially came up with the plan that ultimately passed, the gym was supposed to be done by September 2005. I'm guessing that the schools aren't going to make the August 2006 deadline either, since they had problems securing the land for the east middle school. Developers like to play fun games with school districts.

BTW, the Mid Michigan forum is now the 13th most viewed forum on the site. Keep up the good work everyone!

I drove by Deer Park today on my way to Flint. It said "Coming soon: Upscale Retail - Walmart & Kohls." Since when is Walmart upscale?! I wouldn't call Kohls upscale either, but it's 10 times more upscale than Walmart!

Archived