Central GR Pics

Freddy C

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dre,

I would agree with you. Grand Rapids ten years ago was pretty depressing. It is actually a great metropolitan area now and there is still about a billion dollars worth of development on the table. I would strongly suggest anyone interested in urban renewal that lives in Michigan to take a day trip to Grand Rapids! While here, check out the Frederik Meijer Gardens. It isn't something we talk about in this forum but it is by far one of the coolest attractions you will see. A fusion of sculpture and Gardens. And it isn't the least bit boring... ;)

Joe

I still believe Grand Rapids is the city to beat in Michiagn.  In the last 9 years I have seen this quiet mid-size city grow into an important top rated cityin the mid-west.  I am excited to see were the city will be in 10 years.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

• 2 weeks later...

Moonshield,

Grand Rapids is actually doing quite fine economically. While we are having some unemployment issues due to our manufacturing roots, it is nothing out of the ordinary and Grand Rapids in general is quite extraordinary in a lot of other areas. As far as housing, it is a buyers market anywhere in the U.S. I'm sure some areas of GR are not selling that fast, but the area I live in sells homes quite quickly. I guess it probably depends on the price range and area.

Joe

I used to live in Grand Rapids and I always amazed at some of things it has. Even though it is not most economically prosperous towns, it has a zoo, first rate museum, and many other nice features.

I do hear, from a cousin that is a realtor, that housing is not selling at all.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I do hear, from a cousin that is a realtor, that housing is not selling at all.

That's new to me. If homes were not selling why have housing values boomed over the last decade, GR went from one of the least expensive markets to slightly above the average. Prices do not increase if people are not buying.

I have seen no evidence of a soft market.

That's new to me.  If homes were not selling why have housing values boomed over the last decade, GR went from one of the least expensive markets to slightly above the average.  Prices do not increase if people are not buying.

I have seen no evidence of a soft market.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I do not know how true that is. Metropolitan area housing appreciation rates was recently released. The Grand Rapids Metro only saw a 2% increase in home prices from 2003 to 2004. When juxtaposed with the 11% national average increase for the same period....it reveals a weakness in the GR housing market...relative to the norm.

I do not know how true that is. Metropolitan area housing appreciation rates was recently released. The Grand Rapids Metro only saw a 2% increase in home prices from 2003 to 2004. When juxtaposed with the 11% national average increase for the same period....it reveals a weakness in the GR housing market...relative to the norm.

I would double check those numbers. On a yearly basis, 2% would not be all that bad, 11% is incredible. However, the city of Grand Rapids is well over that 2% mark, my value increased 14% this year - the same last year.

Maybe this means people are moving towards the city, out of the burbs. Good. Whatever the case, homes are selling.

Archived