Will a Florida city ever get a 1000 footer?

Viper

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the market demand is there, it will get built. Miami seems the most conducive for this type of construction, and if there's any space left to build that doesn't lie within a flight path, it would get built here. A 10-20 year window seems pretty reasonable. Right now I'm looking forward to seeing Met3 getting built.

Because Jacksonville just isn't big enough to warrant a 1000 footer and it will probably be awhile before it is large enough. Even Atlanta only has 1 1000 footer and it's the only one in the Southeast.

Who knows, after Miami, Jax may be next because I believe the other cities (Tampa & Orlando) have height limits.

I could see disney making a play for one on property, just for the tourism aspect of it.

Otherwise Miami. Hopefully one of these new buildings will but a big old decorative top on it, like Atlanta has. At least people will stop talking about it then.

Personally, I'd rather have 3 or 4 50 story towers than just one big monster. Height isn't everything, and usually isn't particularly urban.

I'm just tired about hearing about that Nation's Bank building in ATL with the spear on the top, that is the only reason why it is that tall, technically the tallest building in the south on the east coast is the Nations Bank building in Charlotte.........that building in the ATL really is basically a cheater with that spear on the top making it really big.....

Many native Houstonians consider themselves in the traditional "south" or "southeast" and if memory serves Houston has two or three 1000 footers. But the point of Atlanta is valid Houston is kind of on the cut off line between south and southwest.

I've always thought the BA tower in Charlotte was simply the best in the southern atlantic states just my two cents.

I think the drive for hotels and condos will prevent Florida from getting a 1000 footer, if you look at places like Hawaii etc. many grow out with 500 or 300 foot condos and hotels rather then up. It is VERY VERY HARD to fill a single condo or hotel above 500 feet even in the red hot markets. I just don't see it happening for Florida unless a big corporate parent possibly in Miami or Tampa where major corporations are located builds a 1000 foot office or mixed used tower. The economics of condos and hotels just don't lend themselves to 1000 feet especially in NA markets where competition is stiff and it is non government subsidized construction (save tax credits). Let me know if there is a 1000 footer out there that is primarly condos or hotel in NA, I'd be interested in that story.

I'm just tired about hearing about that Nation's Bank building in ATL with the spear on the top, that is the only reason why it is that tall, technically the tallest building in the south on the east coast is the Nations Bank building in Charlotte.........that building  in the ATL  really is basically a cheater with that spear on the top making it really big.....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Exactly! Charlotte's B of A bldg is very impressive, looks almost like a newer version of the Empire State building. As far as a Florida city, I hate to say this, but Miami would get it first. If there are any controversies and delays, then Jax would get it.

Exactly! Charlotte's B of A bldg is very impressive, looks almost like a newer version of the Empire State building. As far as a Florida city, I hate to say this, but Miami would get it first. If there are any controversies and delays, then Jax would get it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I doubt Jacksinville would get it second, Tampa would get it first with its skyline growing quicker and all. U have to face the truth sometime

I doubt Jacksinville would get it second, Tampa would get it first with its skyline growing quicker and all. U have to face the truth sometime

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Tampa's tallest building approved at the moment is 630 feet. Jacksonville has two at 750 each. Truth hurts doesn't it?

Just messing with you. It will be great to who gets one and we'll all win from it with great skylines.

Why do you suppose that?  Jax is experiencing a DT growth like it hasn't had in decades and there is not forseen slowdown coming.  In fact, it's predicted to get even stronger.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There is no need to build a building of such magnitude in a city with a metro of a little over a million people. Why would you build a building like that in Jacksonville when you could build it in Miami where there is a much stronger market. Jacksonville doesn't have the corporate base to support such a building. What would go in it? Jacksonville is not as recognized as Miami or Tampa. I just don't see a market for Jacksonville having anything that large. It would look out of place as hell in a skyline of 4 or 5 buildings.

I guess you aren't aware of the 2 750 footers, another proposed 675 footer, 5 others all over 400 foot and more about to be or already are under construction plus what we've already got.

Find it strange that we have more F500 companies in Jax than Tampa. We're also growing a rate twice that of Tampa.

Now you see why I'm optimistic we have a chance? Oh by the way, I said Miami would get one first as well.

Archived