Central Park: "THE GATES"

NYguy

The unveiling of the Central Park project "the Gates" finally happened today, 26 years delayed, but well worth it. There was a larger than expected turnout for the opening, and the entire park had the feel of an open-air museum. I barely covered half of the park, and couldn't hit all my favorite areas, but the "the Gates" will be there for another 2 weeks. Whether you like this type of work or not, anyone able to go out and see it should.

There are 7,500 "gates" in all:

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It'd be interesting to see an aerial photo of this.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The artist, Christo, makes his money by selling prints of his sketches for the projects.

I don't know how much they cost, his website is jammed at the moment.

The New York Times website has an entire section devoted to The Gates.

yes, but i never would have seen them if you hadn't posted the pointer thread. i edited to clarify.

i wonder if this had to be done in winter, while the trees are leafless, to get the full effect. his projects seem to really instill a lot of civic pride in the places he installs them. i wasn't here for his pink islands in miami, but i've heard people talk about them. the whole town went crazy for them.

Is it the audacity of it all or is he really that good?

Archived