Downtown Flint construction,projects & Photo post

Pachuco

From the outside, you wouldn't imagine how expansive the auditorium is! The interior is meant to resemble a Greek garden, and make the audience feel as though they're outside. The ceiling is painted sky blue and I think there are some clouds, but I can't remember for sure. But make sure never too look up while standing, because you can easily get vertigo. ;) The lobby has a disfunct fountain and holes in the ceiling have allowed birds in over the years and the backstage area is a total mess. It doesn't look like it was fit for a benefit concert were Bon Jovi and several other bands performed in the last concert in the Capitol.

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I hope they bring back the downtown tours this summer. I'd love to see the interior of the Capitol in person.

It's probably too early in the planning stages for Uptown to announce a construction date for that project. I don't think they've secured a tenant yet. On a related note, I think downtown might be better served by a convenience store that sells select groceries until more loft conversions are done. A failing grocery store could hurt really downtown's improving perception and momentum.

Maybe they were cleaning the bricks? Notice the slight change of color on the wall that lines up with the equipment hanging from the roof?

downtown_flint-20050529-01.jpg

I think the "blue thing" is going to be like a separator that goes "through" the whole building. Here's a pic from yesterday (I forgot to take a photo of the alley side).

land_bank_center-20050529-02.jpg

I think with so many projects starting to take place in downtown, it's really going to help change the image of downtown being unsafe to walk on the streets....well from crime at least, being crushed by the crumbling Genesee Towers is another story. ;)

You know, that's such a great picture, until you see that house facade! With that being so close, I don't understand why the Land Bank owners didn't just buy that building, add a floor to it, and incorporate it into the former H&H to give more floor space.

While I'm thinking of this again, the building I saw with the supposed stain-glass window thing is a dark building next to Paul's Pipeshop. And the other building is the one with the Carriage sign on it, but it's actually a strip of glass going along one of the sides, not just a single window.

Oooh! I know what you're talking about now. Both of those buildings need to get rid of that. It's sad that both buildings' facades look intact and well-maintained, but are just very unattractive. It's ironic that the building with the wagon was last used as a bookstore, and the building next to Paul's is downtown's newest bookstore.

Incorporating the house building into the Land Bank Center would've been nice. If they didn't add a floor to that building, they still could use it's roof as an amenity for a couple of the lofts (and make some extra $$ in the process).

I just went downtown yesturday andthere was about 20 people walking and skateboarding and staring at thr Land Bank Center, this is a good sign.

I'm seeing more and more people staring and talking about the buildings under construction downtown, too. It's really nice to see that because I honestly thought most people didn't care.

Incorporating the house building into the Land Bank Center would've been nice. If they didn't add a floor to that building, they still could use it's roof as an amenity for a couple of the lofts (and make some extra $$ in the process).

I'm seeing more and more people staring and talking about the buildings under construction downtown, too. It's really nice to see that because I honestly thought most people didn't care.

I don't think the top of the house building would make for too attractive of a balcony. ;) But maybe the roof of the Land Bank center could become a rooftop garden for the people in the First Street Lofts to look into? :)

And the construction may be waking a sleeping giant. ;)

There was a article in the Flint Journal today about Artist condos. The project is being lead by the Greater Flint Arts Council, it mentions building 24 condominiums,a studio and a art gallery somewhere in Flint, but most likely downtown because they mention the studios and art gallery will be across the street, they havn't revealed the location.

Prices range from $80,000 to $135,000 and the project will cost 3.6 million. It is expected to begin in October and be finished by June 2006.

Edited by Pachuco

I've been wanting to post that story all day, but never got the time to do it.

I assumed it was downtown, too, since they're renovating a building for this project.

It's still hard for me to get used to announcements like this. A few years ago you rarely heard anything about downtown. These smaller projects are starting to add up.

Man, if the UM-Flint dorms didn't get delayed, there'd be a nice influx of new downtown residents next June.

A few years ago a project like this would have been completely unheard of for downtown, this is really starting to show how the city is beginning to progress. I hope for the sake of downtown it's not on Saginaw Street, so that people start spreading around in downtown.

I know I had asked about this before, but what's happening with that University Square that's across from University Park? I was driving by it yesterday and I noticed there was a new sign up saying 'Opening Soon' and there were a lot of construction trucks and vans parked in the parking lot.

Man, if the UM-Flint dorms didn't get delayed, there'd be a nice influx of new downtown residents next June.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They were delayed ?! arew you serious, when will the construction start?

Also I emailed Ridgway about starting development downtown other than Saginaw st. and he emialed me back and told me that "I am happy that you want to and to make downtown bigger and this excites about your love of downtown" and said something like take the time to make downtown bigger yourself. :blink: Was he serious ?

I'm sorry I write so fast, I mispell so much words.

Edited by Pachuco

What does that even mean? Make downtown bigger yourself? I don't understand...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He said I am happy that you want to makr downtown bigger and something like I hope you try to do this yourself or something like that. Ah, these are not my words, I am just as confused as you.When he said I am you happy want to make downtown bigger I think he was referring to when I asked him to think about buying properties off S Saginaw st. and then develop them too.

Edited by Pachuco

They were delayed ?! arew you serious, when will the construction start?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They didn't say. They just said that the dorms likely wouldn't be ready until 2007. I guess it's not a bad thing since it'll give downtown a chance to provide more for those students coming to live on campus.

With the development of new housing in the downtown area and the soon to be built dorms at U of M-Flint is there talk of a grocery store or at least a convenience store? I live downtown and I hate having to drive to Center or Miller anytime I need something.

I have to write that I went to the farmers market Saturday for the first time and I thought it was great.

Yes, the Land Bank Center has been trying to land a grocery store and Uptown Developments are trying to bring one across from the Republic Bank building in the former Dale's and Baker Drugs building, combining them.

There are grocery stores closer than Center and Miller and there are a gazillion convenience stores in the city, but I get what you mean ;).

I haven't been to the farmer's market in a few weeks, but it's close and most items are relatively cheap, so why not?

Windows were being installed in the Land Bank when I was arriving at U of M this morning. :) Shouldn't be too long now before interior work really gets started.

Speaking of U of M, I'm not sure what's going on, but it looks like the first floor of the Harrison St. Parking structure (the brown one across from French Hall, not the Pavilion structure) is being renovated for new offices or something. I never really paid attention before, but there are offices in there.

Also, I was just listening on ABC12 about a plan by the Genesee Growth Alliance to bring wire-free access to all over Genesee County. I hope they get the funding for this project, because it'll be something to start attracting more companies to Flint.

I saw glass-carrying trucks the last few times I went downtown, but there were no windows on them and none on the building until yesterday. The top floor and ground floor were done when I went by. I'll to stop by today and see if the brick side is finished. Were they doing anything on the other half of the building? Also, it's nice to be able to see the whole facade now that they removed the stuff from in front of the building.

I never knew there were office spaces in that parking structure. What direction are they facing? Seems funny but there is space in Northbanks parking structure for retail, too. It's pretty tiny, though.

Wi-fi would be great for the area. It would make the area a little more attractive to the creative class and could be a small piece of the puzzle of slowing down brain-drain.

All I saw on the LBC (that saves some time to write ;)) were windows on the brick side, nothing on the other. From the way it looks, I would assume that there is still so more work that has to be done on the modern half before windows can go in there.

The office space faces Kearsley mainly. I'm not sure what's going on there, but there was a dumpster sitting outside and you could hear work being done on the interior.

I drove by to check for myself. I don't know how I missed the office space in that structure. I could see it from Saginaw St.

I was wrong about how the blue thing on the LBC (yeah, that is much easier to write ;)). Looking from the back it goes up to the top floor but goes to a right angle to fram part of the top window. Doesn't look bad at all.

Also, I noticed the glass has been installed on the ground floor of the old Economy building. I'm guessing they'll be moving blockade (for lack of a better word) from in front of that building soon, too. I wonder how far away the opening of the cafe is.

Jewelry World is supposed to be moving in the middle of this month. Hopefully work on the Rowe building will start soon or there won't be much activity to look at unless they're pretty close to putting the new materials on First Street Lofts.

Just an aside I thought I would post here.

This is from today's (06.09.05) CNN Offbeat Images section:

04.battle.ap.jpg

School days

Swartz Creek School seniors sculpt their hair into Mohawks in a shaving cream battle on their last day of classes in Swartz Creek, Michigan.