Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here's a quote from the long article about Williamson's first year in review:

"...his vision for the next year: big road construction plans for Third Avenue

between Kettering University and the University of Michigan-Flint, a new

and more direct route from I-69 to Kettering, and neighborhood

revitalization for the area near Hurley Medical Center."

So it looks like these are high-priority for the mayor. I assume by "big" it means more than simply repaving the street. And I'm guessing they're talking about the Smith Village/Mainstreet project neighborhood.

I'm interested in how they'll extend Chevrolet all the way to 69. Doesn't look like an easy task.

Also, it looks like the city started replacing water and/or sewer lines downtown. You can see the construction off of Kearsley just west of Saginaw St.

Al Kloss is the developer. I haven't heard anything in a while about the project. One newspaper said that it was getting 16 lofts, but now I believe the journalist confused it with the former Republic Bank building. Last I heard, Kloss is waiting for a ground floor tenant and will use the money to fix the elevators and refurbish the other floors as more tenants move in.

I wouldn't my breath for that one.

Here a couple news clipping about Rowe inc. and Uptown developments and their projects and how they need community support.

Edit: I'm sorry the pics. couldn't be bigger, you can see them on thisLink or if your pc can enlarge the picture that'll do fine too.

post-1527-1120739255_thumb.jpg

post-1527-1120739268_thumb.jpg

Edited by Pachuco

Uptown Developments is the developer. I don't know about the architects, but I'll take a look for any signage next time I'm down there.

Oh yeah. Speaking of First Street Lofts, if you look just inside the Republic Bank, there's a nice-looking advertisement sign waiting to be put on the building. I'd love to see a few of those around downtown.

I found the big article from a few months ago that the Journal featured on the 400 and 500 block redevelopment, and the new facades have been following the sketches in the paper down to every detail. If the other facade projects follow the sketches as well, we're in for some very nice facades downtown. :)

And I was surprised that the blue divider on the LBC was even in there! :o

Ha! You're right.

I hope the old Economy building will have the shade of brown shown in the sketch.

Speaking of sketches, here's a tiny one showing the side of First St. Lofts. I found it a month or so ago, but ended up forgetting about it because I was trying to get a larger one. It's going to be one classy-looking building.

first-street-lofts.jpg

Man, you?

Jewerly World finally moved a few days ago. Now is the time where I get impatient for the 500 block project to get started. First Street Lofts and the LBC have been stagnant on the exterior and I'm getting bored :)

And if you guys haven't been there yet, although smaller, the new Pages Bookstore is nice. I wish somebody would move into the old Aventis building and make 2nd St. more inviting. One day I'll be brave enough to visit Buckham Gallery next door with my empty wallet.

Me going into any bookstore is dangerous, mostly for my wallet. And being an unemployed college student at the current time is makes the situation even more dangerous. lol I'd really like to check Pages' out, but it'd be bad for me to do so right now. :P

I'm finally finished with Spring classes, and other than getting some forms for an internship I'm applying for, I'm not downtown as much right now. But hopefully once Fall rolls around there will be more projects (Rowe building...lol) for me to check out. I'm sure there's a lot of interior work going on at the LBC and the Brown Sugar Cafe, but I agree that exterior work seems to have stagnated for the moment.

I just remembered about this, but about a month ago it looked like the Soggy Bottom Bar and a few other stores in that area of MLK between (Third?) and Fifth Ave. took it upon themselves to improve the streetfronts by doing a little landscaping. :) It definitely spruces the area up.

I like the pages bookstore, its has a really nice storefornt and interior, but the streetscape sucks, and I think the new area won't serve them better than the one on S. Saginaw.

So have any of you noticed the increased foot and vehicle traffic downtown ? I have and the restaurants and other buisinesses have been more packed too.

Edited by Pachuco

Me going into any bookstore is dangerous, mostly for my wallet.  And being an unemployed college student at the current time is makes the situation even more dangerous. lol I'd really like to check Pages' out, but it'd be bad for me to do so right now. :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOL, I know that feeling all too well. Keep me out of all bookstores! If I had a job it would be ok for me to go in them, but now I'm taking summer classes, so finding a job has been put on the back burner again.

Just stay away from John K. King Books. They are the largest used bookstore in the state. They have three locations in Detroit: Downtown, Midtown/WSU, & Ferndale. I recently spent far too much money there....

They have things other than books too. I purchased this postcard of the Flint P. Smith Building that was located in downtown Flint.

up3.jpg

The Flint P. Smith Building was constructed in 1914. At nine stories, it was the first building in the city to be constructed of structural steel. It was demolished in 1968.

Interesting building, the picture is a good find! :) Any idea where it was located in Flint, and why it was torn down?

On my way to FIM today I noticed that part of the parking lot of Windmill Place was being redone (curbs replaces, asphalt being torn up, etc.), so it makes me wonder if there are plans for Windmill Place in the near future. It wouldn't make sense just for this work to be done solely for the sake of Rally's, or at least I'd hope it wouldn't be!

The new First Street Lofts sign is up. Unfortunately I didn't have my camera with me when I saw it. I thought they would've put the sign on the building, but it's attached to some scaffolding that just went up in front of the building. Also, it's kind of hard to read while driving, but I guess their potential buyers are probably people that actually get out and walk around downtown.

I'll post a pic as soon as I get one.

I wish there could be something more than just an ATM going in at Windmill Place, but development is development. :P

Hopefully if I wake up in time tomorrow, I'll be able to see the new sign on the Lofts when I go to U of M in the morning. :) I don't know why, but I love seeing new signage. Maybe it's just an indication of how much downtown is starting to revitalize. :)

Downtown Update

I was walking down Bukkam Alley today and noticed a huge garbage dump behind the PSI and the Jewelery World building while workers were throwing away some stuff, so I think they've just started the demolition process.

Also workers are working on the amphiteatre section of riverbank park, they're painting the concrete, adding mulch, cutting the grass, and planting flowers. I just hope they could start working on the other parts of the park and clean the river and the river banks. I really hope this only short term, so later on they could bring back the natural appearance of the river and add the new promenade and all the other stuff they mentioned in the downtown master plan.

Also at the Character there is a huge crane doing someting and at the Brown Sugat they've added a counter, and finally the city is working on the water main downtown.

Edited by Pachuco