Downtown Flint construction,projects & Photo post

Pachuco

I was wondering what the crane in front of the Character Inn (or whatever name that place is going by these days) was for. I was paying more attention to the band that was playing across the street. I only stayed around there momentarily, since I was filfthy & dehydrated from crawling around inside abandoned buildings in the 90 degree heat.

By master plan do you mean that massive powerpoint presentation?

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was wondering what the crane in front of the Character Inn (or whatever name that place is going by these days) was for.  I was paying more attention to the band that was playing across the street.  I only stayed around there momentarily, since I was filfthy & dehydrated from crawling around inside abandoned buildings in the 90 degree heat. 

By master plan do you mean that massive powerpoint presentation?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes. Yeah the tunes in noon or somethin like that, how long haven been in Flint, plan on taking any photo tours ?

I've been in Flint since May. I spend my weekends in Detroit (I should just live there, but I don't...yet). Until recently, I did not have much of a reason to go to the city. A few weeks ago I started taking a class at MCC to lighten my courseload in the fall (which will otherwise be 20 credits) so I typically go downtown after class.

I have been encouraged by the activity I've seen downtown. There were quite a few pedestrians walking around at lunchtime yesterday - a lot more than there used to be just a few years ago. It's nice to see that progress has been made on a few of the older buildings that have been vacant forever.

Downtown lacks the retail and living options that would really make it a draw from the surrounding areas. That seems to be begining to change, however.

Photo tours are coming soon. I just want to get some more night shots before I post anything.

No it's not one of those, it's some independent buisiness, which means it;ll be better. :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I still think Pizza Papalis needs a location in downtown Flint. It's about time for them to expand outside of metro Detroit.

They've been having meetings all along. I hope things go well and we finally get a nice skatepark. I'm no skater but it would be great place for quite a few teens and young adults. Flint desperately needs more options for entertainment and recreation - especially for younger generations.

• 3 weeks later...

University Village Plaza on Saginaw and Wood Streets has finally gotten a tenant! :D There was an article in the Journal last week about how the owner of the Plaza was tired of waiting for tenants to sign the agreement so he finally started his own business (clothing I think) to be the first tenant. :) Supposedly two restaurants and another business are in the process of being signed up. I hope they agree to the deal!

Yeah, Roglins opened a couple of weeks ago. Years ago there was a location on Clio Rd. It seemed pretty popular, so I'm not sure why it closed.

I'd like to see this building filled up soon, too. That stretch of Saginaw St. could really use the new businesses!

BTW, I haven't really went through them yet, but I figured I'd share a couple of shots showing the views from First Street Lofts. Other pics will eventually make their way to my site (too tired right now), but I thought some of you might be interested.

first_street_lofts-20050809-04.jpg

first_street_lofts-20050809-07.jpg

Yeah, I went on the tour. It was great to see how some of these buildings look on the inside.

I only got to see the 7th floor of First Street Lofts, which was the least complete, so it was a little difficult to picture the final result. There was definitely a lot of work going on there when I was there.

The Brown Sugar Cafe building is coming along nicely, too. It has exposed brick walls, and new hardwood floors. I believe there is only one 1,500 sq ft. loft on top, and it's already leased. It looked nice, though. Work could finish as soon as the end of the month.

I like the Land Bank Center's design the best. It looks even better on inside than out! I like the atrium and open area in the middle of the building. It lets in natural light to the 2-4 floors and partially serves as a "back porch" for one of the lofts. I also like how the lofts are multi-level and have huge windows.

Yeah, VeeFan, the south view is kind of drab. I think the "Mott block" has a lot to do with that, but it would be nice to see a garden or three.