Downtown Flint construction,projects & Photo post

Pachuco

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That and if you look in the upper floors of the PSI building you will see that the ceilings are stripped and before they put up the plactic sheets you could see they had started stripping the walls bare and removing of partition walls. that and the construction dumpsters in the alley. This is finally happening.

A little off topic, but great pics from the first few pages. I'm originally from the Flint area, Mt. Morris to be exact, and it's been a few years since I've actually stopped downtown. I'm thinking the last time I was downtown was back in 2002. The pics really show how much has changed, I really should come back soon. If not for anything other than to gets some stoggies froms paul's :sick:

• 2 weeks later...

Yes Veefan Brown Sugar is in the former Economy Shoe Store. The Land Bank Center is now completed and today I went by and they started the restoration of the facade on the Mad Hatter. I will post pics as soon as i get the chance.

I believe the Rosewood Townhomes opened this Fall.

Here goes, lets see if this works.

108160880_031f926007.jpg

First Street Lofts and the Completed Land Bank Center Building and Atwood Building

108160873_15cb6c9307.jpg

First Street Lofts drive by sorry for the poor image quality

108160876_97831c2496.jpg

Front face of the old PSI building (Part of 500 Block Project) doesn't really show anything

108160877_d347260991.jpg

The Dumpsters in Buckham Alley for the 500 Block Project

108160871_82d51d870d.jpg

Working on Madhatter. The second floor now has windows similar to the ones in Brown Sugar. I was very happy to see that they put windows in the alley side as well (I will get pics of this later).

108160878_02bc517e79.jpg

Another angle at Madhatter. Hopefully they put windows in J. London's next. This is block is quickly becoming vibrant and alive. Lets hope they do something about the flat lot across the street soon.

Edited by bobjgumby

It appears that the Brown Sugar Cafe, J. Londons, and the Madhatter are all one building. I never would have guessed it before they removed the stone off the front of Madhatter. I hope they plan on removing the fake stone cornice off the Madhatter so it better matches its neighbors.

Now if they would only move on to the old Classic Tailor shop next to Pauls Pipe shop.

Edited by bobjgumby

Thanks for the photo update, bobjgumby. I am interested to see how well the lower floors on the First Street Lofts will come out.

J-Londons does need some improvements now that the other two thirds of the building are fixing their fronts.

...and please, can we lose that little flat house!

Thanks for the pictures! :D

BTW, does anyone know what's happening with the building to the right of the Mad Hatter? It's been empty for awhile now, and it looks like there might be construction notes in and around it (i.e., "this column to remove") but I haven't heard about any development plans for it.

Thanks for the pictures! :D

BTW, does anyone know what's happening with the building to the right of the Mad Hatter? It's been empty for awhile now, and it looks like there might be construction notes in and around it (i.e., "this column to remove") but I haven't heard about any development plans for it.

Not sure what is happening with that building (420 S. Saginaw). I too have seen the construction notes. I read at one time they wanted a nightclub on the first floor with lofts above but that was quite some time ago and have heard nothing since.

I found this picture I took from way back when they were working on the Atwood Building. this block has certainly come a long way in such a relatively short period of time.

108352941_94da95f814.jpg

Wow, where'd all these people come from? :)

It's great to see this thread revived again. It looks like things are picking up steam again downtown. There hadn't been much news at all for the past couple of months, but just looking for this past weekend there were several articles about downtown. I can't believe I drove right past the Mad Hatter without noticing the difference. I was too busy looking at the 500-block and First St. Lofts, I guess.

I hear the weather will be pretty good this weekend, so hopefully I can put my camera back to use, too.

By the way, nice pics, Bob!

Edited by dnast