Pachuco

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE(dnast @ May 2 2005, 09:20 AM)

Yeah, I wonder how far along they really are. I'm not complaining, but they were supposed to open last year. Hopefully the plans for the former J. London building come to fruition; the Mad Hatter is getting a new facade and those will fill out the newly renovated block.

Oh yeah, I was browsing another messageboard (FlintTalk.com) and came across this:

"...look for that ugly white tile building next to Feris furs to start having some construction going on it sometime in the near future. A source tells me that the owner has secured a resturaunt tenent for the first floor. Removal of the tile is part of the project, I can't wait."

I'm not sure how true it is, and I can't even picture the building in my head, but I found it interesting and thought I would share.

I realize this s a reply to a message posted back in may but I just started posting here and the message dnast brings up from the Flint talk forum was made by me. I havn't heard from the source recently about the white tile building so I am not sure if the project is still a go. I am disappointed that my information might be incorrect.

Turns out I was right about the ugly white tile building next to Ferris Furs. I have faith in my source once again. This is the first I have seen about this in the media.

Downtown Facade Program receives grants

FLINT

THE FLINT JOURNAL FIRST EDITION

Friday, March 24, 2006

By James M. Miller

[email protected]

Yeah, you were right. Nice scoop!

I'm glad to see that some of the grants from last year will be getting put to use. I was starting to worry because only a few of the many grants seemed to be put to use.

Yeah a friend of a friend lives in the white tile building, i heard it from him while we were hanging out on the roof.

• 2 weeks later...

Well the new Madhatter sign is up and I must say it look pretty good.

Also the facade is coming off of the former PSI building - Windows are gone on the upper floors as well as much of the roof. This is really cool.

The first street lofts facade is more complete everyday. There are now 3 verticle sections up between the arches and a section of the cornice is now up as well. Looking really good right now.

I will have pictures soon. :w00t:

I volunteered with Salem Housing this morning and heard plans about their rehabilitation of an area of Flint that they are calling Menawananee. I'm trying to remember the exact borders now, but I think it's the area between Welch Street, MLK, 5th Avenue, and Dupont. Their goal is to begin construction by August of this year on the first of 24 new homes. They showed us some of the sketches for the houses, and they look pretty nice. :) So unless the Don decides to withhold any more money from them (:rolleyes: ) this could be a huge step in the redevelopment of residential areas just outside of downtown.

is that the one that is supposed to have the brazillian steakhouse?

Thats the one dtown. It will be operated by Blue Collar Gormet. The owner of BCG is an investor in the Rowe Building so I would assume that it is a definite go. I cannot wait.

More pictures will be up soon. They are currently uploading to my flickr account.

Thanks Bob.

That facade really is coming off fast and I see the roof is gone, too. I guess it won't be long until the rest of the facades are removed. This project seems to be moving at a nice pace.

The Mad Hatter looks a lot better now. The new sign is classic! Now let's hope J. London catches the hint and follows suit.

VeeFan:

That sounds great about that neighborhood. Is that the correct spelling? I've seen the signs around there with that name but they're so tiny it's hard to read them. I've been wondering how to spell it (I thought there was a 't' in there somewhere).

Anyway, I too hope the Don doesn't hold them back. There are some very nice homes in that area even though there are lots of empty lots and other homes in terrible shape. It'll be good to see something compliment the nice homes there. 24 new homes would be great. By the way, is that the same plan from last year or was that a different neighborhood?