Downtown Flint construction,projects & Photo post

Pachuco

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I for one do not want to see any more manufacturing jobs coming to Flint, especially those dealing with the automotive industry. We'll just end up setting Flint up to get hurt when those jobs are pulled yet again and sent overseas... Plus, where is the strategy in having the city depend on an industry that is largely unskilled and doesn't require higher education? Flint needs to pull in more commercial jobs like banking, law firms, and the like. Give the city something that can't be easily taken out from under it's feet.

On a different note, the signage is up already for the new coney island on MLK. :)

I for one do not want to see any more manufacturing jobs coming to Flint, especially those dealing with the automotive industry.  We'll just end up setting Flint up to get hurt when those jobs are pulled yet again and sent overseas...  Plus, where is the strategy in having the city depend on an industry that is largely unskilled and doesn't require higher education?  Flint needs to pull in more commercial jobs like banking, law firms, and the like.  Give the city something that can't be easily taken out from under it's feet.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I couldn't agree more! The same goes for Detroit, Saginaw, and all the other struggling cities with manufacturing-dominated economies.

Mayor wants GM to give Flint Buick City land

But 1st Ward Councilman Darryl E. Buchanan, the councilman who sides with the mayor the most, said he was encouraged by the speech, which he says detailed where the city has improved.

"

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He works at my school ( Buchanan) as a sub, believe it or not although he supports the don, he one of the nicest people I ever met. The mayor words and ideas seem great his acomplishments very well planned and he is doing a good job with the streets, but he could have and could do a whole lot more if him and the council could cooperate, "Mr. B" is the sole supporter of the mayor on the entire city council.

Edited by Pachuco

While I agree that the city should stop focusing on industrial jobs, it still needs all the jobs it can get. If Williamson was for real about this, I wouldn't quite go protesting.

There's only so much the city can do to bring non-industrial/-service jobs. There are already 3 economic groups working to bring jobs, and other than tax breaks and just making the city more visually attractive, what else can the local government do?

On a good note, it seems as though downtown is starting to attract a variety of employers. The tool design firm from GB moved here recently. Soon to follow are "a major mortgage company", a research firm, and Rowe Inc. For these types of jobs, it might take bringing the employers (as well as their already hired employees) and letting them grow (and pay taxes, ;)) and hire more employees as the company grows.

I just don't see any major company bringing 400 white-collar jobs to Flint...

I like how a few days after Williamson announces his plan, there's a headline today in the Business Section, "Slow Sales Mean Lay-Offs at Flint South.

Maybe two or three plants would help to the work force, but don't try to make it the new backbone of Flint's economy.

While I agree that the city should stop focusing on industrial jobs, it still needs all the jobs it can get. If Williamson was for real about this, I wouldn't quite go protesting.

There's only so much the city can do to bring non-industrial/-service jobs. There are already 3 economic groups working to bring jobs, and other than tax breaks and just making the city more visually attractive, what else can the local government do?

On a good note, it seems as though downtown is starting to attract a variety of employers. The tool design firm from GB moved here recently. Soon to follow are "a major mortgage company", a research firm, and Rowe Inc. For these types of jobs, it might take bringing the employers (as well as their already hired employees) and letting them grow (and pay taxes, ;)) and hire more employees as the company grows.

I just don't see any major company bringing 400 white-collar jobs to Flint...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Rowe is bringing a hundred white-collar employees downtown, so that is a tremendous start.

I think there is too much development on Saginaw st. and not enough on any othere downtown sts.In the long run this may affect downtown,there should,there will be soon proposed development near The YMCA,YWCA and there should be gift shops near Carriage Town,A visitor center, maybe even a horse stable to take Carriage Town member around the neighborhood and downtown.And it should be on of Tim Herman's goal to better connect and combine the cultural center to downtown,maybe this could happen with more shops,taller buildings,streetscape projects,and more condos or lofts projects.

One of my biggest hopes for downtown is for the diocese of Lansing to move to the site of a demolished Genesee towers and a huge, beautiful cathedral stand there.

Whoa, I think I went way off topic, but it feels good to share my ideas. :lol:

Edited by Pachuco

I agree. There needs to be something away from Saginaw St. that will attract a lot of people, making more people walk around downtown. After a while businesses and lofts will fill in the space between it and Saginaw St.

I agree about the connection to the cultural center as well. There are long-term plans for doing this. What would really help is a highway cap on 475 like in Columbus, OH. It basically hides the freeway by allowing buildings to be built flush with the bridge, etc. The hard part would be slowing down auto traffic around there.

I was just reading the journal and it mentioned ideas of tearing down Central and Whittier and building a new 7 - 12 grade school connected to the cultural center.

Now that would be one of the best ideas and thing the Flint schools to do and com eup with. Interim Superintendent Rutherford deserves some kind of award for such a creative and great idea.

Has anybody heard any recent news on a national tenant for the bottom floor of the 352 ? I was looking at downtown reports at the abc12 site and a report from fall of 03 mentioned a national tenant.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The plans must have changed since then. A few months ago it was mentioned that the owner/developer (Al Kloss, Daystar Developments) was waiting to find somebody to occupy the first floor so he could use the money to fix the rest of the building.

I'm guessing it'll be easier to find a tenant now that he has the funds to fix the whole building.

I was just reading the journal and it mentioned ideas of tearing down Central and Whittier and building a new 7 - 12 grade school connected to the cultural center.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That would be wonderful. Those schools and the library are the only buildings left in the Cultural Center area that haven't had a makeover in recent years. I'm just wondering where the money would come from.

Oh, and speaking of the Cultural Center. The Flint Institute of Arts expansion is coming along nicely. I was in the area last week and saw them putting the glass walls in. Already it looks WAY better than it used to.

The plans must have changed since then. A few months ago it was mentioned that the owner/developer (Al Kloss, Daystar Developments) was waiting to find somebody to occupy the first floor so he could use the money to fix the rest of the building.

I'm guessing it'll be easier to find a tenant now that he has the funds to fix the whole building.

That would be wonderful. Those schools and the library are the only buildings left in the Cultural Center area that haven't had a makeover in recent years. I'm just wondering where the money would come from.

Oh, and speaking of the Cultural Center. The Flint Institute of Arts expansion is coming along nicely. I was in the area last week and saw them putting the glass walls in. Already it looks WAY better than it used to.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In the article it only sad at this point a dream.

Quick update:

Mega Coney island has a free-standing sign up now. It says "Breakfast" and "Lunch" - nothing about being open 24-hours. But maybe it's something they didn't want to put on a permanent sign until they get a feel on the local customers.

Also, I saw workers removing the lead paint from the beams of the Hughes & Hatcher. I guess that project is back on track.

Talk to you guys tomorrow (I can't wait 'til I get the 'net cut on at my new place...ughh)[/mini-rant]

This was in the news the other day, but I can't seem to picture what they're talking about. Does anyone know exactly where this is?

County looking at its own parking structure

HOMETOWN HEADLINES

GENESEE COUNTY

THE FLINT JOURNAL FIRST EDITION

Tuesday, March 01, 2005

By Ron Fonger

[email protected]

I guess the city got the funds to fix 3rd Ave. from the federal government. It's doubtful, but I hope the road construction includes streetscape improvements as well. Just fixing the street won't help the area much, in my opinion. Besides, 5th Ave. is in much worse shape.

Link

Before this forum goes back into a coma I figured I'd post a pic that I took (in the Fall, I believe) of First Street Lofts. I found it on my hard drive today. Forgot all about it. I can't wait to see how the building looks when they replicate all the details the building had in the '20s.

FirstStreetLoftsSE.jpg