Downtown Flint construction,projects & Photo post

Pachuco

Great pictures, Bob! :D I love the detailing on the First Street Lofts! :D

Anyone know if they're keeping the vertical sign on Mad Hatter, or is that going to be replaced/taken down? And J. London's had better follow suit now and get a new facade. lol

The pictures for the future Rowe building excite me so much now! It's actually happening! :D

@dnast: I'm not sure of the spelling either, but hopefully I was close enough. lol I need to call tomorrow for something else, so I can double check about the spelling and the boundaries as well. I think the development announced last year was east of MLK if I remember correctly, and I think involved the building of either a small apartment building or duplexes.

And the entire situation with the Don really infuriates me now, because I found out on Saturday that he's withholding $158,000 in grant money from Salem. The city does not have a contract with Salem, so they're basically overstepping their boundaries by withholding the money.

I'm so glad now that I got Pi Sigma Alpha to volunteer this weekend, because our VP is interested now in doing a long-term partnership between Salem and U of M to see what could be done about creating a "student village" with these older, renovated homes, since U of M is dragging its feet with the dorms.

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

@dnast: I'm not sure of the spelling either, but hopefully I was close enough. lol

In today's Flint Journal cover story they actually mentioned the neighborhood. It's Metawaneenee Hills. I'm pretty sure I won't remember that. lol

They do plan on keeping the vertical sign on Madhatter. I believe they are going to be adding neon to it soon. I actually like the sign so I am glad they are keeping it.

I like it too. Initially I didn't think I would, but I have to say that it looks pretty nice. I want to see how it looks when they put the neon lighting on it.

That's the shorter building next to the former Jewelry World, correct?

Yup that is the one.

Here is a pic from Monday night after we got back from Tigers opening day.

Looking through the windows in the daylight you can see that the roof is also gone from this building and they have now started removing the limestone.

127124621_6999fbde7c_o.jpg

127124628_0135d6bc67_o.jpg

127124643_9ed0d94b52_o.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Jewelry worlds facade is coming off now. I wish my Flickr account wasn't maxed out with thursdays bar pics. I would post a pic from today. As soon as May gets here I will post it as well as updated shots.

Also they are working on the front of The First Street lofts now, there is a huge blue tarp over the scaffolding I can't tell what is going on there. The side facade pieces are becoming more complete every day now.

Have you ever used Photo Bucket to host your pictures? I don't think there's a limit on how many pictures you can upload on it.

http://www.photobucket.com

You know I actually think I have a photobucket account. Let me check.

Ha Ha. I do here is a link to my page. I gotta get some pics up on there.

Edited by bobjgumby

Thanks for the pics, Bob. :) Looks like it didn't take them very long at all to get to the Jewelry World exterior.

Maybe it was just me, but on my way to class this morning it seemed like the First Street Lofts suddenly appear to be much whiter, or cleaner at least. Has there been any power-washing or the exterior being painted?

Thanks for the pics, Bob. :) Looks like it didn't take them very long at all to get to the Jewelry World exterior.

Maybe it was just me, but on my way to class this morning it seemed like the First Street Lofts suddenly appear to be much whiter, or cleaner at least. Has there been any power-washing or the exterior being painted?

No prob.

Not sure if they washed it or not. Maybe it was just the sun. It was nice and sunny out there.

I've noticed it for a while, now. I never saw them washing the building, but looking at a pic from 2 years ago there seems to be a difference.

136175399_00d393a825_o.jpg

136175417_4cfd796382_o.jpg

Kinda looks like a bomb went off.

Haha. I was thinking the same thing when I was downtown the other day. Wouldn't make a good first impression. :lol:

Thanks for the pictures once more! :D Did they let you get that close to take a picture of the cornice, or do you just have a really strong zoom?

Is that one window going to be a door? That has to be too high off the ground for that to be a door.

If you look closely at the post card picture that is somewhere on this forum, that area is a window and it looks like after the renovations it will still be a window. There are at least three windows that will look like that on the side of the building.

edit: Well it's not a post card but I found it:

255_EXTERIOR_LOFTS_FINAL.jpg

Actually, I can't tell whether those are windows or doors at that angle, but they are definitely windows in the renovation version.

Edited by andrew69@ltu