Downtown Flint construction,projects & Photo post

Pachuco

Thanks for the pictures once more! :D Did they let you get that close to take a picture of the cornice, or do you just have a really strong zoom?

Is that one window going to be a door? That has to be too high off the ground for that to be a door.

Shoot after they are done for the day you can get right up there and touch the stuff. I wish my digital had that great of a zoom, someday I will have that digital SLR, someday.

regarding the door/window... they could always put stairs in.

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The precast architectural detail pieces look nice. It's great we now have methods to make these features less expensive yet authentic in appearance. This building is definitely one of the best restorations I've seen a great while.

This is what I was wondering about, so it's right real stonework, correct? What is it made of?

I didn't realize that there was an addition until you mentioned it dnast, they did a great job matching the original. Does anyone know when that was added?

Yeah those sidewalks down First st. are pretty rough. I imagine they will replace those as well because why have a beautiful building with that at the base.

I am really excited with how this is turning out. I only wish I had the money to move in. Damn being a broke college student. :angry:

This is what I was wondering about, so it's right real stonework, correct? What is it made of?

I was worried it was that EIFS stuff that architects seem to hate, but it seems to be a lot higher in quality than that.

What is EIFS? Is it a plaster?

Thanks to Lmichigan at detroityes.

"EIFS stands for "exterior insulation and finish systems." Here's a little diagram showing the basic concept of such facades:"

70804.gif

"It's advantages are that it is energy efficient, and most importantly, to developers, it's cheap. The disadvantage, it also looks cheap. BTW, another name for EIFS is Synthetic Stucco."

It is the crappy material they used on the addition to the Detroit Opera House.

Edited by bobjgumby

Hopefully the facade will go up nearly as fast as the Land Bank Center's. I can only imagine how it would look to somebody who rarely visits downtown and doesn't know about the project. :lol:

You seem to forget the long delay they had at the Land Bank Center because of the lead paint. It sat there for well over a month with the orange beams exposed.

With the Rowe building it will take a while before they even think of putting a facade on because they are adding on to all of the buildings.

You seem to forget the long delay they had at the Land Bank Center because of the lead paint. It sat there for well over a month with the orange beams exposed.

With the Rowe building it will take a while before they even think of putting a facade on because they are adding on to all of the buildings.

I was actually talking about how fast it went once the lead paint was gone, but I see what you're saying. Hopefully some signs will go up soon at the construction site. I think that's the main reason that the LBC never looked too much like a disaster area.

Somehow it did slip my mind about additional floors, though. :blush: Guess we'll have to wait a little for the facade work.

I wonder how long it will be before we see construction start on adding the new floors.

They said once the facades were removed they were going to start building. I didn't hear about how long the gap would be, however. I'm optimistic about the schedule since the facade removal was supposed to finish up in "May or early June" and in actuality they just barely missed completing in April.