Downtown Flint construction,projects & Photo post

Pachuco

the rowe building didnt look like a whole lot was going on, still all tore up.

And BillyChilly, look, all we were doing was driving, then my friend thought that kid waved at him, so he waved back, then the kid flipped us off. If thats not the reason, then he must just be a jerk.

but, i really dont want to get into this.

Edited by dtown

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And BillyChilly, look, all we were doing was driving, then my friend thought that kid waved at him, so he waved back, then the kid flipped us off. If thats not the reason, then he must just be a jerk.

but, i really dont want to get into this.

He very well could have been a jerk. Or a racist. Or just not liked the way your friend looked. Either way, the race card was a pretty lame thing to play in an otherwise okay post.

J.L.

Looking back on it, i agree, it was pretty lame. I just couldnt think of a reason why he flipped us off.

My bad for saying that, i was just mad at the time i wrote the post.

Either way, i hope im forgiven and we cant get back to some discussion about Flint, its good to have another forumer from Flint on this otherwise fairly inactive board.

Yeah I was totally surprised. I really hope, by atleast December, the front and back facade is up for the rowe building tho.

dtown: We're cool man.

Pachuco: I'd love to see a facade up by then, but I'm skeptical. They don't even have the entire third floor started, and I know they're working hard in there, but I just don't know how much more they have to do before they're even to that point. What was the slated completion date again?

J.L.

Downtown Flint is prepared to growNew business deal means new developments

By Cathy Shafran

FLINT (WJRT) - (09/10/06)--More good news for downtown Flint. There's word on a new business deal that will mean re-development on both sides of Saginaw Street.

The announcement came during an anniversary event for the Genesee Regional Chamber of Commerce.

Hundreds of business and community leaders gathered together at Whiting Auditorium to celebrate 100 years of business history of the Flint Area Chamber, now known as the Genesee Regional Chamber of commerce.

While detailing it's history, leaders were also able to shed some light on the future of business growth in the area..

Word was unveiled that the Mott Foundation, led by its president Bill White, was deeding all the buildings known as the Mott foundation block - just south of the Mott Foundation Building - to the Uptown Reinvestment Corporation for re-development.

"I'm grateful that they're taking it because they have shown that they have the ability to do something with old buildings," said White.

While not releasing complete details at the Chamber's Gala Centennial Celebration, Herman said development of the Mott Foundation block will mirror development on the west side of Saginaw. The old buildings south of the Mott Foundation building will turn into vital developments once again.

"Over the next year we will start construction on the project of mixed use, retail, residential, office," he said.

Herman says the go-ahead for the Mott Foundation block is coming now because the timing is right.

The development is being backed by Michigan's governor, who made an appearance at the black tie event as well

Details on what's planned for the Mott Foundation block are promised by the end of the year.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Yep, I drove around trying to find old homes and buildings. I will post the houses later.

It was a crappy day out :angry:

108_2792.jpg

108_2808.jpg

108_2779.jpg

108_2747.jpg

108_2788.jpg

108_2776.jpg

108_2777.jpg

108_2780.jpg

^"Berston Field House and Playground

Berston Field House and Playground has served Flint citizens as an important recreation center since it opened in 1923. Designed by Cambridge, Massachusettes, city planning firm of John Nolen, it was developed on land deeded to the city of Flint by members of Neil J. Berston family in 1920. The field house contained an auditorium, a gymnasium, a swimming pool, community meeting rooms and a branch of the public library. At Berston people participated in sports, exercised, performed and learned new skills. During the mid-1930s, Berston became the first community center in Flint to admit African-Americans living in the surrounding neighborhood, Berston Field House and Playground remains a significant part of the neighborhood."

108_2783.jpg

108_2785.jpg

108_2786.jpg

108_2787.jpg

108_2790.jpg

108_2805.jpg

108_2806.jpg

108_2809.jpg

108_2811.jpg

108_2814.jpg

108_2817.jpg

108_2818.jpg