Downtown Flint construction,projects & Photo post

Pachuco

Heck, underground parking, nowadays, only is built in largest of cities.

BTW, does anyone know what year Genesee Towers was started and finished and who the architects, developers and/or construction companies were for this building? I've been trying to research this thing for years now and the city and public library seem to know nothing. They always say contact the owner, which I did through mail and he was very little help either. lol Genesee Towers doesn't seem to have a history it seems with no one knowing anything about it. lol

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1972 seems to ring a bell. I think that was the year Genesee Towers was announced. Construction would've began shortly thereafter. I remember seeing the Flint Journal from that day a couple years ago when scanning through old microfilms at the library. There was a large rendering, with a headline in big bold letters, "New Tower to Rise in Downtown Flint" or something like that. The original rendering for the building was reprinted in the Flint Journal a few years ago. I wish I still had it.

Heck, underground parking, nowadays, only is built in largest of cities.

BTW, does anyone know what year Genesee Towers was started and finished and who the architects, developers and/or construction companies were for this building?  I've been trying to research this thing for years now and the city and public library seem to know nothing.  They always say contact the owner, which I did through mail and he was very little help either.  lol  Genesee Towers doesn't seem to have a history it seems with no one knowing anything about it.  lol

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There is already underground parking downtown, at the county administration building.

1972 seems to ring a bell.  I think that was the year Genesee Towers was announced.  Construction would've began shortly thereafter.  I remember seeing the Flint Journal from that day a couple years ago when scanning through old microfilms at the library.  There was a large rendering, with a headline in big bold letters, "New Tower to Rise in Downtown Flint" or something like that.  The original rendering for the building was reprinted in the Flint Journal a few years ago.  I wish I still had it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I remember that. They used to have a page called "Looking Back" or something similar. I guess they got rid of it when the paper was redesigned. I was thinking it was built in the 60s. I wish Mlive didn't charge to look through its archives. $3/article is way too much. You likely won't get the article you want on the first few tries...

Isn't there a historical society in Flint? If not, you could always contact someone at Kettering; A few years ago we were doing a historical video project of Flushing, and we were able to get documents from the late 1800s and early 1900s at Kettering...I don't remember who we talked to though.

I know it's late, but I've been working on putting my site online (and fixing stuff in every file :() all day. I finally got out and took some random pictures of the downtown area, but I'm feeling too lazy to go resizing them individually. Anybody know a good program that'll batch resize pictures without making them look crappy?

There isn't much to the "tour", but here's a preview shot anyway. There's a Scooby Snack for whoever can guess the building:

anybodyhome.jpg

I've never looked at IrfanView's batch options. It's pretty nice. The only thing is that its resampling is too blurry and pictures look too sharp without resampling.

I might just have to use Photoshop when I'm not feeling lazy...

Edit: Oh and that pics isn't Manhattan Lofts, but you've got the right side of downtown.

Edited by dnast

I know it's more time consuming but resizing and sharpening in Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro is always the best way to do it. It will take time, but will make the tour just that much more impressive. I took a WHOLE bunch of downtown/old town Lansing photos today (residential) and I'm still resizing and such myself.

I can't wait to see them! BTW, I didn't know you were making a website. What will it be called and what's the address?

Hmm....mine must be a different pamphlet. I don't see Genesee Towers in it, although it has about every other prominent building downtown. LOL. Some of the info is kind of sparse, most likely since it is so difficult to find actual information about buildings & architects in Flint.

BTW, Dnast, if you have a lot of photos to resize, just write an action for photoshop. It makes things a lot easier. I actually made an action that will resize & put the copyright info on my photos with the click of a button, so that I can take a nap while the computer does all the work.

I'll be sure to show them on SSP. I haven't contributed anything in a long time. It's not much of a tour, though. I didn't get out until later in the day, so a lot of my pictures didn't turn out well.

As far as the website - I'm hoping to get DowntownFlint.com which would be both the name and address, but it's currently owned. The good thing is that it's owned by a local guy (owner of a small local paper - The Uncommon Sense). Hopefully if I don't get distracted from finishing site I can contact him about it. The temporary address is http://dtflint.ws4f.us

BTW, Dnast, if you have a lot of photos to resize, just write an action for photoshop.  It makes things a lot easier.  I actually made an action that will resize & put the copyright info on my photos with the click of a button, so that I can take a nap while the computer does all the work.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I didn't even see your posts.

I have no idea how to make an action in Photoshop, but it sounds promising. My brain is kinda wracked right now from fixing HTML, PHP, and MySQL stuff all at the same time just to get some of my pages to show up correctly, but I'll Google it tomorrow. I knew that a program as big and popular as Photoshop had to have a way of doing batch jobs.

Thanks.

Man, with all of the information I gather on Lansing, and all of the photos I have (hundreds now), I'm sure I could make one for Lansing, too.  I would have no idea of where to began though.  lol

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Haha, I know what you mean. It is a huge task. I would eventually like to make a site to showcase some of my better photography. I pretty much completed the site, including links and everything, but then I decided that I wanted to change the layout completely. Three websites later I still haven't bought the hosting service, and I still haven't settled on one I'm 100% happy with. I finally decided that I'm going to wait until I get the domain name & such before I progress any further.

It's really easy to write actions in PS. Just find the actions menu & record what you want it to do. Save the action, and then when you click on "file" & "batch processing" your action will be one of the options you can use to process your photos.

Wow, I'm way behind. My 2nd time in a row cross posting.

Anyway... LOL at urbanflint.com. The urbannameYourCityorState thing is getting overdone. While trying to think of a name, urbanflint.com came into my mind to often for comfort. And like you said, there's not enough urban in Flint to make a site with the name.

As far as making a site, I just took some time to write down what areas of information and media I would put on the site. Then I went back and made an outline on the specifics, which evolved into a lot more than I had in mind. I think the hardest part is knowing where to draw the line. And besides Detroit, there's a severe lack of information on Michigan's cities online. I wouldn't mind if a few more urban Michigan sites popped up, personally.