Downtown Flint construction,projects & Photo post

Pachuco

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That could actually be a good location for a plaza. There could be a mixed-use 6-8 story building opposite the Mott building to provide a little balance. The plaza could be between those 2 and up to Brush Alley. Genesee Towers could be renovated and reclad, and the smaller buildings could fill in the space between it and the Capitol theater on the next block.

Here's a diagram to clarify what I mean. It's looking east from Saginaw St.

Mottblockdiagram.gif

I think that lot should have buildings on it. That block is like a huge hole, and it just seems like something is missing. Plus it's sits across from the short pavillion and parking structure one side, and another parking structure on another side, and they just add to the empty feeling.

Then you have a block of mid to highrises across Saginaw and Flint 2 tallest buildings kitty-corner from that. Those, combined with some new buildings on the suface lot would give it a more effective downtown feeling, IMO.

But I guess a plaza on that block would be okay as long as there are some buildings there, as well. A plaza on 1/4 of that lot (right across from the Pavillion) wouldn't be bad. But, while I was sitting in my car waiting for my girlfriend to come out of the Secretary of State building, I realized just how big that lot is.

I love St. Paul's! It just looks like a haven in the middle of downtown. I guess the inside is even more spectacular than the outside!

There's also First Presbyterian across from St. Paul's (I tried to find pictures, but there weren't any large enough to make anything out).

Then there's also this big red one on Church Street, but I can never tell if it's still used or not.

I'm trying to picture Court Street now, and I think there's just the one; the red one I mentioned before is on Court (maybe the corner of Church also). There's one more building I can picture right now, but I thought it was the County Courthouse (or some other municipal building) on the corner of Court and Saginaw.

Anyway, lol however many churches there are in downtown they are all very beautiful. :)

I was driving north on Saginaw, and I was so happy to see this red brick church on the corner of Hamilton was being renovated. :) I remember having driven by it about 3 years ago and seeing all the doors and windows boarded up. :( It's a good sign that areas north of downtown are starting to wake up again. :)

Oh! I finally remember wanting to ask about this! What's the entire University Lofts and University Village Square on Saginaw across from University Park? I think the Lofts said construction/renovations would start Winter 1999 (and obviously didn't lol), but what about the other one? Do you know any information on that one?

Re: Downtown churches

One of the ones I'm thinking of might be on 4th street, east of saginaw street. I wasn't sure if it extended to Court St. or not. I can't think of its name, but I know it has "Scientific" in it, heh.

Re: Church at Hamilton

You mean the big, historic church on Hamilton, right? If so, that's awesome! I'd love to see that church after it's renovated. It seemed like such a waste for a would-be beautiful looking building sitting there unused.

Re: University Village, etc.

I believe it's another name for the Smith Village project, since that's where Smith Village is. Or maybe Smith Village is a part of a larger University Village plan. It'd be nice if UM-Flint went ahead a did those lofts once the city gets the Smith Village project going again.

And I hope they start back work on University Park Plaza next door soon since winter is finally over. It seemed like they were working on it every single weekday (even in rain) last year from late summer 'til the holidays, then they suddenly stopped.

That area would complement downtown very well if everything goes through. The city is trying to attract businesses, including a grocery store, along Saginaw from 5th Ave. to Hamilton. Townhouses, duplexes, and single family homes are supposed to be coming in the area just west of Saginaw St., although some people are fighting for it to be only single family homes - otherwise it won't be "family oriented" so they say... :rolleyes:

Very ugly... After the Art Institute is finished, City Hall should be given a facelift next.

Now that I'm thinking about this, if it is "modern" in a sense, where was the original and what did it look like??

Edited by VeeFan

My sister's best friend was married in First Presbyterian a few years ago, and the inside is huge! With the exception of the activity center and the conference rooms in the basement, it's all stone and dark wood. The architecture is mostly Gothic/Baroque, it's definitely a sight to see. :)

Belated, but here are more pics of downtown's churches:

A better shot of St. Paul:

st_paul_episcopal_church-20050403-01.jpg

First Presbyterian Church of Flint:

first_presbytarian_church-20050403-05.jpg

first_presbyterian_church-20050403-09.jpg

Court Street United Methodist Church:

court_street_united_methodist_church-20050403-02.jpg

court_street_united_methodist_church-20050403-01.jpg

First Church of Christ Scientific. I guess it's not so historic:

first_church_of_christ_scientific-20050403-02.jpg

first_church_of_christ_scientific-20050403-01.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What aabout good ole Saint Mike's ? :)

Rosewood Riverside Townhomes is now taking applications by appointment only. Right now they're only accepting applications from people who inquired about the townhouses earlier and sent postcards that you have to bring to qualify. The cards say they'll start leasing in February, so they were obviously (hopefully) printed quite a while ago, so there's no telling when they plan to be finished...

There was an article in the Journal yesterday that the Mad Hatter has been bought out, and Jewelry World is moving in, probably by this summer.

Didn't the entertainment complex just depend on Jewelry World moving? Could the final roadblock finally be removed? :)

They got the city loan and the parking structure, so this looks like the last thing that had to be done.

The only bad thing is that we lose the Mad Hatter (the business) and Jewelry World and Downtown Dollar are gonna be squeezed into a single building and will have a lot less space; It's like losing 1