Downtown Flint construction,projects & Photo post

Pachuco

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I guess since they might be using different materials (or just different bricks), they're just gonna do one side at a time.

I was surprised to see that they starting laying bricks already. Doesn't look like it'll take long at all for the facade to be finished! And if the Economy is really supposed to be finished this month, we might have a boring wait ahead of us waiting for work to start on the entertainment complex, lol.

When I left U of M about an hour ago, the brickwork was already starting up past the second floor.

Also, it looks like there is a lot more work left to be done at the former Economy Store. Whatever they have up there right now fell back into the building partway.

Heh, I was gonna come say the same thing. I'm hoping they've done a lot of interior work at the former Economy because that building should not be that hard to renovate.

Also, it looks like they've started or are close to starting work on the exterior of First Street Lofts. I noticed a lot of materials sitting on the sidewalk and a platform up by the second or third floor on the First St. Side.

I forgot about that. I couldn't tell if it was equipment for road work, or if it was for the First Street Lofts. But there's material sitting on the sidewalk? I couldn't see that, but then again the closest I was to that side was Harrison Street. lol

I forgot about that. I couldn't tell if it was equipment for road work, or if it was for the First Street Lofts. But there's material sitting on the sidewalk? I couldn't see that, but then again the closest I was to that side was Harrison Street. lol

Edit: Oh, it did go through the first time... Just as well, I thought of something more. ;-)

Not quite development news, but UofM is hosting Flint Idol auditions this week. :P My friend is auditioning, and I'm hoping she'll win it! She definitely has the voice for it. :)

Edited by VeeFan

Oh cool.

The brick on the Land Bank Center is up to the second floor now. I guess it's not that fast when you thing about it, but things were taking so long before that it's kind of surprising. I wonder how fast this thing would've been finished if there was no lead paint found.

Oh yeah. Any idea what they're doing on Fifth Ave. by Saginaw St.? I always end up speeding by the intersection so I can't tell if they are doing road work or what.

When I left U of M yesterday morning they were just about finished with the brickwork. That went pretty quickly. Will we see the second half start soon, I hope?

It was pretty nice to get out of my car at the Pavilion yesterday and hear the air buzzing with construction machinery. ;)

I'm wondering if they are going to put something somewhat decorative near the top of the facade. I know not to hope for too much, but a little detail will make a big difference.

Rowe Inc. are supposed to be signing their lease for the entertainment complex today. That's the most important piece of the puzzle of getting this building done. Everything seems to be set except for Jewerly World moving, and they are having a clearance sale right this moment. It looks like there's a good chance of starting construction in June!

Hahaha!

Not really. Uptown bought most their buildings back in 2000 and, although they are close, none of them have been completed yet. The LSEM and Land Bank Center seemed to move a little fast, but look how small they are compared to most of Detroit's projects.

There was an article in tonight's paper, and we had forgotten all about Capitol Theatre. The marquee has been restored, and now lights up once again. :) Only bad thing is in the picture there's a glaring streetlight in front of it...

Also, it talks about how Rowe Inc. signed the lease today to move into the entertainment complex. :) I wonder what the name of this new building is going to be when it's finished. We can't keep calling it the entertainment complex forever. ;) Apparently construction is set to begin "this spring," so that really could be any day now. :o

The article also mentions that the Metropolis is getting a face lift, and plans are in the works to return it to a functioning night club. It is also confirmed that exterior work has indeed begun on First Street Lofts. :)

Finally, I went back to that lengthy article in the Journal about all of downtown's projects, and it looks like the Brown Sugar Caf

I read a while ago that the work on the marquee had been finished, although I've never seen it lit up. I'd love to.

I've been wanting them to name the entertainment complex for a while now, LOL. And the "spring" date sounds good, but I'll just stay with "June" so it won't be a let down. I remember back in late January/early February I said I wouldn't get too anxious until I see Jewelry World close; it's getting hard not too now.

They've been talking about fixing up the Metropolis for a while, now. I hope they do because the exterior is in bad shape. I think the Local 432 is there now, but they are moving to a new location soon (either on Kearsley or First - I can't remember). I went to the Metropolis a few times when it was a nightclub. It was a nice alternative to the other clubs in the metro.

I'm glad to hear about the Brown Sugar Cafe, too. I didn't remember reading about it getting a red brick exterior. That dark brown doesn't look too hot to put it nicely, lol.

I think it was ABC 12 that had a story on downtown development today, too, on the 11 o'clock news. I ended up leaving, thinking the story would be on their website :(. Well, hopefully they'll post it tomorrow or something. Sometimes the news stations get a little extra info.

The Journal had an article today about the apartments going on the top floor of the entertainment complex (I'm just going to start calling it the Rowe building). It says the floors are to be 1500 to 2000 sq. ft. with big windows and 18 ft. ceilings! That's sounds quite nice. I wonder how much they'll be going for.

The article also said they still plan to start work in June. The lease with Rowe Inc. says the building has to ready by June 2006.

Finally I'm back,I've been so busy with end-of-term finals,My prima's quincenara which was lat night and it was the bomb ! Back to topic When we were riding back to the hall form the cermonial mass in this escalade limo we went throught downtown and I saw work being done on the firdt st. loft exterior anf the land bank center left sidse facade is just about finished and is looking very nice. I'm so surprised how fast constrution is going on Downtown it is amazing !

Welcome back!

It is surprising to see things happening so fast after waiting for so long. My Spanish isn't that good, but I'm guessing you said your cousin's 15th birthday/anniversary. Either way, tell him or her congratulations (I'd like to know what quincenara is, though).

MTV was supposed to be at the Local yesterday. I drove by coming home from sprawlville (near Mt. Clemens) and the club was really packed. There were about a hundred people waiting outside to get in, and it was some time after the shooting (film, not bullets LOL) was supposed to start. I can't wait to see downtown with a couple new nightclubs and restaurants after dark. These investors truly deserve to be in the spotlight for a long time.

Welcome back!

It is surprising to see things happening so fast after waiting for so long. My Spanish isn't that good, but I'm guessing you said your cousin's 15th birthday/anniversary. Either way, tell him or her congratulations (I'd like to know what quincenara is, though).

A quincenera is celebrated in a Catholic Mexican community for a mexican girl. She has a court ,In my cousin's case she has 15 Damas and 15 chambelanas and of course her escourt the chambelano. Theres a mass which is when there a procession in the church and the quincenera recieves her gifts form her padrinos (God Parents) and family. Then there usually a limo the court goes out for like 2 hours. then return to the hall to eat, do the march, party and hang out with familia, friends,strangers.Oh yeah and we toast too.

Edited by Pachuco

Also, it looks like one of the buildings near Marion Hall has been gutting today. Is there a restaurant on that block, because the stuff laying out on the sidewalk looked like it came from booths and tables.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Where and what is the Marion Hall ? What does it looks like ?

Marion Hall is the tallish building at King and 3rd Ave with the "bricks" mural on it.

I noticed a lot of junk on the sidewalk down the street today. I thought they were just throwing out old stuff, lol. I think there used to be a bar or something there. If its the same building, I walked past it once and saw that whatever was there wasn't too shabby, but I can't think of what exactly its business was.

I think the stuff that was on Brown Sugar Cafe was just there to keep the elements out. It looked way too flimsy to be a permanent part of the building. They're supposed to open this month, but I don't see it happening.

There's more equipment around First Street Lofts, too. And I noticed there's a spiral stairway going up through the middle (in relation to front and back) of the unfinished side of the Land Bank Center. That side of the building looks like it will be really cramped.

It was nice to actually see people working the buildings. I'm usually at work when they're doing construction downtown. Downtown is so much more lively at noon compared to 5pm, lol. It's funny that I drove right past Mega Coney Island and didn't even notice the boards were gone. :)