Light-rail builder asks for Ferndale's backing

Allan

Yeah, I knew you were confusing light rail and commuter rail. We just have to make sure we are talking about the same thing, haha.

Commuter rail is the most likely start, since it will run on the existing tracks. However, light rail is important too, since it is designed for the localized travel (does that make sense?). The stations in a commuter rail system are quite far apart (say 15-20 miles) as opposed to every 1/2 mile or so for light rail. Commuter rail would be more useful for traveling long distances, but very impractical for a trip to the grocery store.

Basically, a light rail line would be used for traveling short distances, while commuter rail would be used to travel 15 miles or more. I feel that both systems are important to have. Getting either one of them would be a miracle though. Commuter rail would attract one group of people, while light rail would attract a different group. I really can't see commuter rail being effective until they connect downtown with the train station up in New Center (another reason why light rail is absolutely essential along Woodward).

Also, there is the more recently talked about startup of the Detroit-Pontiac commuter rail. The last time I heard anything about that was in 2003. That line is in addition to the Woodward light rail line.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks like M-DOT has a lot of the same questions we have about this rail plan. But it is another small step in the process. According to this, the system will still cost $10 million per mile. I hope the investors are prepared for some major cost overruns!

M-DOT wants more info before backing elevated rail plan

From Feb. 21 issue of Crain

Seems like all they have to do is require that the company builds exactly what they said they and make a clause that also requires them to clean up if they abandon the project. I was thinking the same thing Barwin said - if they're paying for everything, I'm pretty sure they know it works.

And isn't this being built to demonstrate how the system works?

Archived