Eastland Mall Redevelopment

DigitalSky

I went to Columbus City Center in 2001 and I remember there being all of these great A-line stores like A&F, American Eagle, Structure (I know they no longer exist) and a bunch of other chains. It's so wierd to me to hear that the mall is falling apart. I did find it odd about having to pay to park there though. I guess I'm just too used to free parking at malls.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Two anchors closed since '01: Jacobson's and Lazarus. Both stores were not doing well financially at that location, and I suppose their closing had a ripple effect on the smaller tenants.

The opening of Easton Town Center and Polaris Fashion Place around that time gave upscale shoppers a reason not to go downtown as well.

Just saw the story in the Business Journal that Eastland is officially up for sale, as part of a bundle with two other malls - Columbia SC and Huntington W.Va.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmmm...I've heard otherwise, that GRT would gladly dump Eastland by itself to any taker with a reasonable bid. But ok, cbj's sources are usually pretty reliable.

Edited by SmellyCat

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/business/12376467.htm

there's the article from the Observer. Mall for sale if Bid is right

Interesting to note the city gave the mall $40,000 to refurbish the JC Penney, and a transportation hub is planned near Belk.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That explains the new paintjob on Penney's old shell :lol:

I saw that article. The demolition and redevelopmnet idea is an interesting one, but that's usually a viable option for malls far emptier than Eastland.

There's going to be 15 miles between Uptown and The Bridgea at Mint Hill. Somehow in a market the size of Charlotte, I think keeping at least one or two department stores in that area between those two things seems like a good idea. But maybe that's just me.

I saw that article.  The demolition and redevelopmnet idea is an interesting one, but that's usually a viable option for malls far emptier than Eastland. 

There's going to be 15 miles between Uptown and The Bridgea at Mint Hill.  Somehow in a market the size of Charlotte, I think keeping at least one or two department stores in that area between those two things seems like a good idea.  But maybe that's just me.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agreed. But I don't think that Belk and Dillard's are the ideal anchors for a mall in that part of town. Something more urban, like the Fulton Street Macy's in Brooklyn, would probably be a better fit.

Agreed.  But I don't think that Belk and Dillard's are the ideal anchors for a mall in that part of town.  Something more urban, like the Fulton Street Macy's in Brooklyn, would probably be a better fit.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wonder how Eastland's Belk and Dillard's stores do in terms of sales

Agreed.  But I don't think that Belk and Dillard's are the ideal anchors for a mall in that part of town.  Something more urban, like the Fulton Street Macy's in Brooklyn, would probably be a better fit.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

True, but will a store like Macy's, urban or not, take up the slack if Belk and/or Dillard's leaves?

I wonder how Eastland's Belk and Dillard's stores do in terms of sales

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dillard's looks healthy, but Belk looks very dated and a little lonesome, like they're not selling very much.

True, but will a store like Macy's, urban or not, take up the slack if Belk and/or Dillard's leaves?

Dillard's looks healthy, but Belk looks very dated and a little lonesome, like they're not selling very much.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wouldn't expect any regular department stores, even Macy's, to head to Eastland anytime to fill any vacant anchor spots. The one on Fulton Street in Brooklyn was opened a long time ago when the area was still a middle-class area, and I'd guess it does a decent amount of sales due to the lack of competition and high population density, but I wouldn't expect Macy's to open in an area like that these days.

Odd that no retailer has set up a department store chain for urban neighborhoods, with prices and selection geared for the market, as Magic Johnson has done for movie theaters. Eastland seems to do a decent amount of business since its in-line tenants are well-suited for an urban location; surely a department store targeting the same demographics could do OK.

Odd that no retailer has set up a department store chain for urban neighborhoods, with prices and selection geared for the market, as Magic Johnson has done for movie theaters.  Eastland seems to do a decent amount of business since its in-line tenants are well-suited for an urban location; surely a department store targeting the same demographics could do OK.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Most retailers don't take urban markets seriously, especially people with funds to open stores as big as department stores. If I had the funding, I'd have to give a store for those demographics a shot.

Even smaller stores serving minority neighborhoods tend rely solely on cliches and assumptions. Not every black man wants six-button suits and FUBU and not every Latina woman wants tight pants and really high heels.

The worst part is that in malls like Eastland, these old stereotypes about what minorities want have creeped into the leasing. Every other store recruited in the Glimcher era at Eastland is a copy of a copy of the other corny urban stores that were already there.

Good points. I don't see Harold's or Brooks Brothers moving to Eastland anytime soon.

Speaking of Eastland, if there are others who'd like to do a group excursion there, that would be fun. I don't really feel safe going there by myself, and I couldn't lure my girlfriend or any of my other friends out to visit a dying shopping center just to visit the shopping center, and I can't say that I'd go there to actually shop, since the stores don't appeal to me and my friends know that.

Edited by csedwards72

I just got bored and looked at Eastland's website online. I didn't know the mall had a Sears! LOL I just thought the anchors were Belk and Dillards. Also the mall map online shows an empty space where JCPenney was, not BCF. There are still decent stores in the mall, according to the directory, like American Eagle, Express/Express Men, The Body Shop, etc. From what I gather the mall still has a-line tenants, they r just mixed in with local stores as well.

Edited by NCMike1981

Yeah, they do have decent stores still. I don't think Glimcher cares much about the mall's website, hence the reason they haven't put the BCF logo in the former JCPenney location.. and yes they do have Sears. Everyone is speculating that Belk and Dillard's will live once Bridges is built, but I wonder how Sears will fare... I'm not really sure how that store does (but then keep in mind it's the only Sears store in Charlotte's city limits)

Good points.  I don't see Harold's or Brooks Brothers moving to Eastland anytime soon.

Speaking of Eastland, if there are others who'd like to do a group excursion there, that would be fun.  I don't really feel safe going there by myself, and I couldn't lure my girlfriend or any of my other friends out to visit a dying shopping center just to visit the shopping center, and I can't say that I'd go there to actually shop, since the stores don't appeal to me and my friends know that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You shouldn't be scared to go to Eastland Mall. If you're a little nervous and you want to go check it out, go Saturday morning right when they open at 10am or Sunday at 12:30.

Yeah, it does have many "corny urban stores," but it has many stores you would find in other malls too. I don't think you'll feel uncomfortable if you go early.

You shouldn't be scared to go to Eastland Mall. If you're a little nervous and you want to go check it out, go Saturday morning right when they open at 10am or Sunday at 12:30. 

Yeah, it does have many "corny urban stores," but it has many stores you would find in other malls too. I don't think you'll feel uncomfortable if you go early.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Go on a weekday in the daytime.. there is nothing scary about it then

I think Sears will hold its own if they stay at Eastland. Sears has ben the last surviving store in many a dead mall, and Eastland's still very much alive.

csedwards72, do like cantnot said and go during the day. Also, check out Harold Pener: Man of Fashion. It's a very urban store, but it's actually pretty nice.

• 2 weeks later...

Being a contributor to Eastland Mall and living in that neighborhood, I feel that Charlotte doesn't really care about the poorer areas and is focusing more on building bigger houses and more skyscrapers. I don't mind skyscrapers, but places like Eastland are the only place for some people near Eastland to go. Eastland is still much alive, if only the stores would have the courage to stay and look past crime and demographics. Stores that don't make a profit there? Sure, leave! Just hopefully a new store will take it's place. My point is... low-income areas need places to hang out to, and if you close down Eastland we will just go to the next closest mall (Mint Hill). When we get there will they close that down too?

Edited by NOcityrox

I honestly don't know what the city or county government could do to save a retail establishment such as Eastland without converting to something else that is non-retail.

Its unfortunate, but the vast majority of national retailers, which is what you are mostly going to find in a mall, are not interesting in locating in areas where they can't make money. And they can't make money in areas where people are afraid to go because the place is littered with crowds (mostly teenagers) who are there to "hang out". Retail is a shared responsibility. If a community wants to have retail, they have to behave decently enough to support it. If you want to see Eastland's future, look at the Freedom Mall. There used to be a Sears there too.

On the other hand, I think malls are bad for a community anyway.

Mall development and big money are bound with conservative, tried-and-true strategies.

Even without the crime and demographic problems, Eastland would still struggle simply because it isn't on an interstate. I doubt any developer today would even consider a mall at a location served only by surface streets.

South Park may be surrounded by surface roads too, but it gradually built up to where it is. If all that land was available today, I doubt someone would propose making the entire thing retail.

When the Bridges in Mint Hill opens, we'll have a sparkling new mall, WITH interstate access, AWAY from east side. For just about any retailer, this choice is the epitome of "no-brainer".

Eastland's best hope is for an "angel" (one individual with a lot of money and vision) to step in and do something bold. It will not happen from a board or committee.

I have to wonder who exactly would be interested in buying the mall. Glimcher may find that serious buyers are shy, until they can see what impact The Bridges will have.

Edited by MZT