Eastland Mall Redevelopment

DigitalSky

On their 3Q05 earnings call (last official info on Eastland) sales per foot figures were reported in the low $200s per foot, VERY weak. Consider that Glimcher's weighted average mall sales ex-Eastland are $340 a foot. We won't hear any more sales info until Glimcher's earnings call in mid February.

Thanks for the clarification. I was wondering how sales at that center went from $200+ to $300+ so quickly!

I did another quick visit to Eastland today and noticed that the Dillard's (clearance center?) is now open from only 11 to 7 on weekdays; this has been since 11/27/05. In addition, the lower level Dillard's entrance is blocked by unpainted drywall, although there is a new facade and a new sign on the entrance. I don't see why Dillard's would put up a new sign and facade if the store were closing, but what are Dillard's executives thinking by trimming the store's hours right as the holiday season starts and by blocking the lower level entrance (unless that's just work being done during a slow time)?

At least Eastland's recently closed stores are now covered in drywall rather than left with their old entrances just closed.

Edited by mallguy

Eastland's going to go down before it revives. At least I HOPE it revives.

When all the ghetto kids start heading for Northlake, that's when it will sink in that maybe something should have been done to save Eastland.

The police seem to be taking a different approach to this problem at Northlake.

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/6103921/detail.html

That's good! I wouldn't want to see Northlake turn into a ghetto just because of loitering and gangs. I am glad they're doing something about it.
I applaud Northlake for trying to protect its assets, but seeing as Eastland is is slowly being rendered irrelevant by its owners and by mainstream retailers, it may not be able to stop what I see as the inevitable: the transfer of that element of the business to Northlake.

Those ghetto kids have to shop (and loiter) somewhere and that mall is the next closest on the bus line. I fear Northlake is going to have to resort to some police state-type tactics to keep the unruly teens out.

I applaud Northlake for trying to protect its assets, but seeing as Eastland is is slowly being rendered irrelevant by its owners and by mainstream retailers, it may not be able to stop what I see as the inevitable: the transfer of that element of the business to Northlake.

Those ghetto kids have to shop (and loiter) somewhere and that mall is the next closest on the bus line. I fear Northlake is going to have to resort to some police state-type tactics to keep the unruly teens out.

See i'm a teenager myself and I can't understand why they would want to get a bus or hitch a ride and drive all the way up to Northlake just to hang out and make trouble. i would've thought their next target would've been Carolina Place. Even after Eastland is closed and dead (if that happens) they will still loiter there and cause trouble, cause that's somewhat in our (teenagers) nature to stay around something creepy even if it is dead. We find it interesting.

See i'm a teenager myself and I can't understand why they would want to get a bus or hitch a ride and drive all the way up to Northlake just to hang out and make trouble. i would've thought their next target would've been Carolina Place. Even after Eastland is closed and dead (if that happens) they will still loiter there and cause trouble, cause that's somewhat in our (teenagers) nature to stay around something creepy even if it is dead. We find it interesting.
Carolina Place is a little bland for teenagers, I think, and it's in Pineville, which is still farther out than Northlake. I don't think many kids will hang around Eastland if it dies off, mostly because teenagers like to be seen and heard, and that's nearly impossible at a closed mall.

Now Eastland had an apparently minor fire yesterday. Just what it needs.

i wonder if the owners tried to make it look like an accident.:) ok, just kidding but when i read about this i couldn't help but to think... that's one way to get a dying mall off yer back.

There was a rather massive fire at the Tryon Mall, now known as the Asian Corners Mall that destroyed some of the outbuildings in the parking lot. That is why it sort of resembles a place where a war was fought. They never bothered to build any of it back.

Eastland Mall is like Phipps Plaza or Tysons Galleria (ie, luxurious) compared to Tryon/Asian Corners Mall. Some of Eastland's stores, even if they are urban, are still newish-looking. That's why I think that Eastland has some years left on it.

Any insights on that Dillard's- is the lower level entrance re-opening? Why were its hours pared back? Classic signs of a dying anchor, but if the store is closing, why was a new facade built instead of just having the doors closed and papered over? So sad.

Eastland Mall is like Phipps Plaza or Tysons Galleria (ie, luxurious) compared to Tryon/Asian Corners Mall. Some of Eastland's stores, even if they are urban, are still newish-looking. That's why I think that Eastland has some years left on it.

Any insights on that Dillard's- is the lower level entrance re-opening? Why were its hours pared back? Classic signs of a dying anchor, but if the store is closing, why was a new facade built instead of just having the doors closed and papered over? So sad.

Well Dillard's is just an outlet store so it's slowly dying off.. they'll be out by the end of 2007 IF not any sooner, (sooner rather than later)

And that's a bold comparison you made haha

If you print out the "map of foreclosures" from the Observer's recent series, you'll see that Eastland is completely surrounded by a mass of foreclosured property.

Foreclosures are often sold off cheap to absentee landlords, who do little upkeep and will rent to anyone.

I went by Dillard's yesterday. Why don't they just close? That store is embarassing. It's not quite an outlet and not quite a department store. They're blocking anything from coming, ruined a perfectly good interior and to top it off, you can't return anything you buy and the prices aren't any better than they are at SouthPark.

Also, I love sneakers like any fanatic would, but why does Eastland have, like, 15 SNEAKER STORES? Having plenty of options is great, but there has to be something that neighborhood needs other than sneakers and baby clothes. It's the "Chris Rock mall' come to life!

Edited by StevenRocks

Also, I love sneakers like any fanatic would, but why does Eastland have, like, 15 SNEAKER STORES? Having plenty of options is great, but there has to be something that neighborhood needs other than sneakers and baby clothes. It's the "Chris Rock mall' come to life!

:rofl:

Well, because it's in the ghetto and people that live there like to waste their money and look like a thug or "best."

After reading in another thread that there was actually a Gap at Eastland until a few years ago it got me thinking. What national chains have left the mall in the past 10 years during Eastland's decline? Of course I've gathered that Gap and JCPenney have left, and possibly American Eagle just closed, but what other chains have closed up shop since say 1995?

:rofl:

Well, because it's in the ghetto and people that live there like to waste their money and look like a thug or "best."

Wow, Hotlanta....that statement is 'bout as elementary as one can get. Although, the Eastland area has recently been exposed to some bad aspects of life....its FAR from being "the ghetto" in a true sense. Also, giving broad generalizations of people in a given area is very ignorant. A majority of the people who shop there are teens/young adults (contrary to popular belief, they represent more than just BLACK people) who want a particular selection of clothing. Most of the time, this selection (which is more "thug" inspired...if that makes you comfortable <_<) is hard to find @ other regional malls. Yes, I took offense to your statement b/c I "waste my money to look like a thug or best" @ Eastland <_< b/c that's my preferred style. Please, expand your thinking.

Eastland has been there for 30 years now and opened with practically every national mall chain that was around at that time. (Sears came later in the expansion of 1979) Some of those stores, like Record Bar, don't exist anymore anywahere.

Here are some of the places that I remember in that mall.

• The Acropolis
  • JC Penny
  • Iveys (Dillards now)
  • Record Bar
  • GNC
  • Eckerd Drugs (the kind that also served hot food)
  • The Gap
  • American Eagle
  • Spencer Gifts
  • Kirklands
  • Paperback Booksmith
  • Morrison Cafeteria
  • B. Dalton Bookstore - not too sure about this one, there were two bookstores in the mall
  • Radio Shack
  • Hallmark
  • Orange Julius
  • 3 screen Movie Theatre
  • There was a sitdown restaurant on the ground floor in the back, kind of like Bennigens, served mixed drinks
  • Southern Bell Phone Center
  • There was a modern type furniture store, could have been The Storehouse
  • The Bombay Company
  • Pipe & Tobacco

There used to be a Police station in that mall. I wonder if it left?

That's not funny. At all. :angry:

I'm sorry about that. I realized it wasn't the most appropriate thing to say about Eastland or its customers and area residents. And, I'm also deeply sad that I offende some of you on here who shop or wear the clothes that I put down tremendously. I'm sorry again and I deeply apoligize for saying that.

Edited by Hotlanta