Eastland Mall Redevelopment

DigitalSky

I went to Eastland Mall today. It had a fairly good crowd for the daytime.. nothing really special to report. I went to the Harris Teeter too... that HT looks sad inside though, I've never seen a HT with celing fans either.. the celing tiles are coming apart and they have those big air vent things. Oh yeah - the old Hannaford is being turned into AJ's Indoor Flea Market.

I was at Eastland today too. Belk is bringing all the clothng departments upstairs and closing off most of the lower level. The Home Store will still be downstairs, and there will be some minor renovations all over the store to adjust the selling space.

I also talked to an employee in the kids department. Apparently Belk is not planning to leave immediately after Mint Hill opens. From what it sounds like, they're hoping to keep Belk Eastland open so see how the business transfers. She wasn't hopeful it would stay open for the long term, but total abndonment is not on the table yet either.

I think they're not doing well, but got a bump in business from Dillard's converting to a clearance center.

Speaking of not doing well, the Food Lion on Sharon Amity near Harris is now closed. This may be good news for HT Eastland. People still have to eat, and they'll have to get groceries somewhere.

Well since we already have the center city station, which is the focal point of every single line, I don't think converging several lines somewhere else is going to cause any worse problems than have already existed.

The center city station had some incidents last year, but additional security and limiting the retail hours there seem to have put a lid on it.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to Eastland today; the parking lot still had a decent number of cars in it but the mall was quieter than usual. The Dillard's now seems to be a full-line clearance center with housewares, etc. The Dillard's is physically a nice store- but what's up with those plywood boxes blocking the escalators? They look bad.

The Belk's is also a decent looking store; some of the checkout signage looks news, along with the new walls blocking off a lot of the sales floor downstairs.

Poor mall; it is clearly headed towards a miserable future if its slow death continues. Since the in-line space is still pretty solidly leased I just think that there is a market there for some urban-type anchors that sell merchandise similar to what the interior mall stores do. Why doesn't Belk's open up the downstairs and make it into a big athletic shoe space or urban clothing department or something for stuff that sells well elsewhere in the mall? The anchors are missing some opportunities to target their merchandise mix to the market.

The anchors are probably just twiddling their thumbs, and not interested in putting any effort or energy into marketing at Eastland.

It's twighlight retail, kind of like the 3rd or 4th year for a nightclub. Milk the remaining revenue, spend as little as possible, and prepare to close.

I went to Eastland today; the parking lot still had a decent number of cars in it but the mall was quieter than usual. The Dillard's now seems to be a full-line clearance center with housewares, etc. The Dillard's is physically a nice store- but what's up with those plywood boxes blocking the escalators? They look bad.

The Belk's is also a decent looking store; some of the checkout signage looks news, along with the new walls blocking off a lot of the sales floor downstairs.

Poor mall; it is clearly headed towards a miserable future if its slow death continues. Since the in-line space is still pretty solidly leased I just think that there is a market there for some urban-type anchors that sell merchandise similar to what the interior mall stores do. Why doesn't Belk's open up the downstairs and make it into a big athletic shoe space or urban clothing department or something for stuff that sells well elsewhere in the mall? The anchors are missing some opportunities to target their merchandise mix to the market.

Dillard's just doesn't care anymore and it's obvious. I can't imagine this store lasting much longer than the paint drying in the new Mint Hill or Stallings store.

Supposedly Belk is taking a wait and see attitiude. The lady I talked to last time I was there was cautiously optimistic they would stay, and they're investing a little money into the place to rationalize the space usuage in the interim. I wouldnm't count on it, but I guess it's an effort.

Eastland has enough sneaker stores. Belk would do themselves better to sell books, furniture or electronics in their extra space, as those segments at the mall are seriously underpowered. They also need to buy some light bulbs. The chandeliers are pretty much on life support right now.

Upon my last trip to Eastland I realized that it had the most Urban/Hip Hop stores in a mall I have ever seen. Including NYC... Too bad the mall wasn't very attractive with many of the anchors closing. I wish there was a way to save Eastland in some form. I think most malls cater to similar demographics, Eastland does the same even if it is by default resulting from stores leaving.

I'll lay odds that Eastland will continue as a mall for a while. Demolition is expensive, and I have a hard time believing a deep pocked redeveloper is going to step in and transform that block. Wal-Mart might have been a possibility but they already have plans at Independance.

It might boil down to the city buying it and filling some of the empty anchors with government offices.

Hmm. "CMS headquarters east", anybody? :whistling:

The worst outcome would be for it to truly become a dead mall with no tenants. Then it will be covered with graffiti and become a real eyesore.

Edited by MZT

I don't think Eastland will become a truly dead mall. It won't have the fate of Carolina Circle, and it won't become a Wal-mart, as you said the Independence store will be pretty close.

Freedom Mall is becoming government offices... I don't think CMS would take Eastland as east HQ either. I think Eastland will continue to be a mall... who knows it could become a hispanic-themed mall and survive in that sense like the Tryon mall become the Asian Corner mall.

I agree that Eastland will not become a truly dead mall. The in-line tenants- at least the urban-style ones- seem to be often newish and doing OK.

Perhaps when Belk and Dillard's close their spaces can be subdivided into small shop space? A Steve & Barry's would probably also be a good fit there and could take part of the Dillard's or Belk spaces, maybe; there is one in the Manhattan Mall in NYC, which appeals to the same demographic as Eastland, although that mall is a little better that Eastland.

I was at Eastland over the weekend. They are running a promotion where if you turn in $175 in receipts, you get a $15 Visa gift card. The promotion's partially a ruse to get you to fill out a survey on the mall.

That by itself isn't unusual. But the strange and possibly telling part is that there was a question on the survey asking what should replace the ice rink, should the ice rink close.

:huh:

Something's up. Stay tuned.

Edited by StevenRocks