Eastland Mall Redevelopment

DigitalSky

From today's trip to Eastland: the parking lot wasn't very full (at 11:30AM) and Belk has blocked off most of the sales floor around the lower-level mall entrance. I'd guess the store has determined that it simply cannot make a profit off that sales space. That is sad; there's absolutely nothing that can be sold in that space for a profit?
They'll probably stick some gifts and things around that mall entrance when they get settled with the reconfiguration upstairs. I doubt it'll be totally dead space.

One thought: Wouldn't a Magic Johnson movie theater do well at Eastland? Maybe that, plus a Ross Dress for Less, could fill one of the other anchor spots once it becomes available?

Other stores coming soon (sorry, no Saks):

New Era Salon

Pieces

Mama's Got a Brand new Bag

World of Jewelry

Edited by mallguy

One thought: Wouldn't a Magic Johnson movie theater do well at Eastland? Maybe that, plus a Ross Dress for Less, could fill one of the other anchor spots once it becomes available?
Magic Johnson Theaters would do really well at Eastland, but I don't know if they're still expanding. Ross Dress for Less was listed on a site plan that cantnot found, but I never heard for sure whether they were coming or not.

Any predictions for how long that Dillard's clearance center will hold out? As long as the store recoups the costs of keeping the building open and paying the employees, hopefully it will be around for a long while. I get some great deals there and it's possible to find some real gems there, so I hope it won't go anytime soon. What else does Dillard's do with those clothes- sells them to TJMaxx or the like, I'd guess?

Sorry, but I don't see me shopping at "Mama's Got a Brand New Bag" or "Karli's Catwalk Shoes", being a guy, so I think my Eastland days would come to and end after the Dillard's flees.

Edited by mallguy

What else does Dillard's do with those clothes- sells them to TJMaxx or the like, I'd guess?
Most times they either send them back to the manufacturer or sell them to a closeout store. You can see Dillard's leftovers almost anywhere you see carts with those "don't take me out of the store" poles and bad lighting. :lol:

Sorry, but I don't see me shopping at "Mama's Got a Brand New Bag" or "Karli's Catwalk Shoes", being a guy, so I think my Eastland days would come to and end after the Dillard's flees.
Actually the Harold Pener, Man of Fashion at Eastland is nice by mainstream standards. So is Ashley Stewart. The Limited brand stores tend to be less picked over than the ones elsewhere in town. The food is good and reasonably diverse. And there is no better place in Charlotte to buy sneakers, especially if you want a deal on fashionable stuff. Edited by StevenRocks

I'm surprised no one caught this, as it is over a week old:

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/8769624/detail.html

Police question validity of Eastland Mall robbery

Police questioned two teens on Saturday who claim they were robbed at gunpoint in the food court area of Eastland Mall.

For months, Eastland Mall has been winning the battle against crime. Other than shoplifting, the mall said it's had no serious problems in 2006 until this weekend.

Then it goes on to say the Teens story differs from what happened on surveillance video. It also doesn't help the mall's image either...

I went shopping at Eastland yesterday at the Sears and Belk's (as the Dillard's Clearance Center had its doors nearly closed at 6:50PM); that Sears is crying out for some updating; the store looked run down, and the Belk's is frozen in the 1980s.

That mall just needs a good paint job and some minor updating and it would probably be OK, but with peeling, dirty paint on the outside, a dated interior and run-down anchors, surely customers are turned off and shop elsewhere. Most of the in-line tenants seem newish enough, but the whole appeance is a turnoff. Even the 1970s-looking Sears sign on the roof looks bad.

Ugh.

Edited by mallguy

I went shopping at Eastland yesterday at the Sears and Belk's (as the Dillard's Clearance Center had its doors nearly closed at 6:50PM); that Sears is crying out for some updating; the store looked run down, and the Belk's is frozen in the 1980s.

That mall just needs a good paint job and some minor updating and it would probably be OK, but with peeling, dirty paint on the outside, a dated interior and run-down anchors, surely customers are turned off and shop elsewhere. Most of the in-line tenants seem newish enough, but the whole appeance is a turnoff. Even the 1970s-looking Sears sign on the roof looks bad.

Ugh.

Sad they're letting this happen.

Sad they're letting this happen.

Agreed. The only sadder thing I've seen recently is one store on Independence Boulevard between uptown and Albemarle Rd: a combination "Hosiery Outlet and Antiques" store. Shows what a mess the east Charlotte retail scene is; people around there deserve better.

EXTREME MAKEOVER: MALL EDITION

coming this fall to ABC....

(jk)

Speaking of which- when was Eastland last renovated- perhaps around 1990, with the Dillard's being renovated in the early 1990s, I'd assume?

I still remember going to that mall in about 1991 and it seemed fine- not run down, although not notably upscale or fancy.

There is still hope yet for Eastland Mall...

Take it with a grain of salt, but I did hear from a source (boy, don't you love anonymous sources?) that Eastland is due for a makeover in the next several years. From what I was told the street car service will run from uptown Charlotte down Central Ave. and end at Eastland Mall. The mall will in turn be rennovated in stages as a revitalization plan for Central Ave. I was skeptical about this plan at first, seeing as how I used to live near Eastland Mall and moved because of the crime and what not. However, since the street car was announced little places are starting to pop up down Central Ave. closer into the city. Lofts and condos are either being planned or under construction with similar pricing to Central 27 lofts.

There is still hope yet for Eastland Mall...

Take it with a grain of salt, but I did hear from a source (boy, don't you love anonymous sources?) that Eastland is due for a makeover in the next several years. From what I was told the street car service will run from uptown Charlotte down Central Ave. and end at Eastland Mall. The mall will in turn be rennovated in stages as a revitalization plan for Central Ave. I was skeptical about this plan at first, seeing as how I used to live near Eastland Mall and moved because of the crime and what not. However, since the street car was announced little places are starting to pop up down Central Ave. closer into the city. Lofts and condos are either being planned or under construction with similar pricing to Central 27 lofts.

The time to do it is now.. not in the next several years... seriously! THe street car has been known for sometime now and how it will revitalize Central Avenue, but I don't know how much Eastland can be salvaged if the "revitalization" (whatever it means) doesn't begin at this point in time!

That is correct- plans are in the works for an Eastland extreme makeover. Some of the links posted above have, in turn, links to various redevelopment plans. Also try http://charlotte.bizjournals.com and do an archive search and there are a few articles mentioning that.

But the missing link is a developer, as the mall can't be redeveloped without somebody to invest the time and money to do so.

I guess the Dillard's clearance center is one of those only-locals-in-the-know Charlotte treasure hunts. I bought a whole bunch of dress shirts there today for $10-$15 each. Heck, even thrift stores are about $6 for a used shirt.

It's quite a deal, and the selection is better than TJ Maxx.

It is a shame the lower level entrance is closed. It really gives the impression that Dillard's is just biding time, and doesn't give a shake about the mall anymore.

Edited by MZT