Eastland Mall Redevelopment

DigitalSky

I was there yesterday, and it had been a while since i'd been inside the mall. The stores inside the mall seemed to be doing alright.. Dillard's Clearance Outlet was just sad looking, there were people there, but you know they want to high tail it out... and the lower level of Belk having parts shut down is just so obvious. Also saw the BCF for the first time..

I went to Eastland yesterday and the inside part of the mall was thriving. There is a new bookstore (locally-owned, it seemed) between Dillard's and Burlington Coat Factory.

I think the mall has done a good job of targeting a specific demographic unreached by SouthPark, and the mall's sales per square foot can be higher once the transition to having anchors that match that demographic (i.e., no Belk's and no Dillard's) is done. The mall also needs to work on the BCF end of the mall; that part of the parking lot is empty, and the exterior, at least on the back and side of the former JC Penney, doesn't look particularly inviting. Maybe an outdoor section or a restaurant added to that space could help revive that part of the mall?

I think the mall has done a good job of targeting a specific demographic unreached by SouthPark, and the mall's sales per square foot can be higher once the transition to having anchors that match that demographic (i.e., no Belk's and no Dillard's) is done.
You mean SouthPark doesn't attract the "baller on a budget" demographic? :lol:

Just kidding. I get what you're saying.

I like the idea of alternative anchors at Eastland to an extent, but what would they be. Belk and Dillard's would be massive holes to fill should they leave.

You mean SouthPark doesn't attract the "baller on a budget" demographic? :lol:

Just kidding. I get what you're saying.

I like the idea of alternative anchors at Eastland to an extent, but what would they be. Belk and Dillard's would be massive holes to fill should they leave.

I thought Ross Dress for Less is a strong possibility? Maybe a Marshall's or a TJ Maxx, too? Or a Majic Johnson movie theater.

I also think an urban Macy's (which has so many urban stores) would do well; someone should come up with an urban-style department store chain. Belk's and Dillard's are too middle-America.

• 3 weeks later...

There is decent article in the Observer today about the rise and fall of Eastland. Like most of us here have said, it was Charlotte's best mall in the 70s & 80s but most won't go there now for fears of getting shot.

One interesting note concerning demographics. They posted an income chart of the census tract that includes Eastland. In 1960 the average family had an income that was +45% higher than the median income. In 1980 it was even, but today the average family has -38% the median Charlotte income. This is probably the biggest reason that mall has declined.

Apparently some of the stores inside the mall have signs that say "We Ship to All Correctional Institutions" :shok:

Apparently some of the stores inside the mall have signs that say "We Ship to All Correctional Institutions"

The bookstore near Dillard's has that sign.

That's one extensive article. I think there is still hope for Eastland in some form or another, but the cards are definately stacked against it.

Edited by StevenRocks

There is decent article in the Observer today about the rise and fall of Eastland. Like most of us here have said, it was Charlotte's best mall in the 70s & 80s but most won't go there now for fears of getting shot.

One interesting note concerning demographics. They posted an income chart of the census tract that includes Eastland. In 1960 the average family had an income that was +45% higher than the median income. In 1980 it was even, but today the average family has -38% the median Charlotte income. This is probably the biggest reason that mall has declined.

Apparently some of the stores inside the mall have signs that say "We Ship to All Correctional Institutions" :shok:

the article had some interesting points in it, about what the mall once was and how much it has changed since.

Eastland sounds moribund.......finished........kaput....dead..........

Not trying to sound flippant, but instead of imploding the mall itself----what about bringing in WalMart as the anchor! Since WalMart is the basic lowest common denominator of retail, and appeals to such an enormous clientel, the location would be just fine!

Will Eastland ever be a regular "normal" mall again????

Odds are, the future for Eastland is going to be like Freedom Mall. Conversion of anchor space into non-retail use. The food court and some smaller shops may remain, to serve the business and government offices.

Main thing giving Eastland any extensions on life, are the twist-in-the-wind fates of the mall sites in Mint Hill.

I agree. Freedom is partially alive, with some low-end stores. I see Eastland as being a nicer, larger Freedom Mall. Eastland still attracts good crowds, even if they are, as the recent Observer article stated, smaller than those 20 years ago. What's harming the mall is that those crowds don't have as much disposable income as shoppers in other areas of Charlotte.

What's discouraging as well is that inner-city Charlotte, including Uptown, Myers Park, Dilworth, etc. has very little big-box and other retail compared to outer-ring suburbs. Apart from the Target, etc. under development at Midtown Square, there is not much available for typical day-to-day shopping in central Charlotte. No Best Buy, no Lowe's (yet), no decent Belk's, etc. I don't see Eastland as ever satisfying the day-to-day shopping needs of the Myers Park crowd but surely east Charlotte could support more retail than it does now. If Glimcher or whoever buys Eastland would get moving on getting a Ross Dress for Less, TJ Maxx or the like to Eastland to fill the mall's dying anchors, the mall could have a future.

BTW what's up with the combination antiques store and hosiery outlet on Independence Boulevard between uptown and Eastland? Is that combination some kind of a joke?

Edited by mallguy

BTW what's up with the combination antiques store and hosiery outlet on Independence Boulevard between uptown and Eastland? Is that combination some kind of a joke?

I am not sure where you are referring to since Independence does not go to Eastland. However if you are talking about Independence between I-277 and Albemaro, keep in mind that 20 years ago this area was quite different as Independence was not a limited access highway along this route. It was a city street lined with businesses. Most are gone now having been replaced by that huge berm on either side of the highway, and the businesses that were left between Eastland and Albemaro have long since vacated the area and were replaced by the kind of places that you mention. If you had not driven down Independence since 1986, a drive now would be quite shocking.

Albemarle!

Right- Independence, on the way to Eastland from uptown, right before the turn onto Albemarle. The combination antiques/hosiery outlet is on the right, in a dying strip mall.

I cannot imagine there are too many people who think, "And after I head to Home Depot to get some supplies to fix up things at home, and Ethan Allen to get a new lamp, I'll stop by to get an antique piece in that place on Independence, and I will get some hosiery in the same store while I'm at it."

There used to be a two store building at the former intersection of Independence and Hawthorne. That building housed a hosery store and a XXX peep show. lol

Sorry to stay off topic, but the hosery store was called "Bootery and Bloomery". :lol: I was a kid at the time, but I remember driving by it and always thought that was an amusing name.

Gosh I rememeber the Bloomery too:) lol

As a kid I always thought it odd how stiff and unreal the mannequins looked in the window. Even though we saw it a thousand times, my sister and I always giggled when we went past!

Looking back on it, it seems kinda racy for the time...but then I remember how it was in Hickory when I was a kid. The Hickory Drive-In Theatre played hard core XXX films, which could be seen with prefect clarity as ya passed by Highway 64-70!

Do ya think a similar advertising idea would make it in Charlotte today---one like the Bloomery with all the risque (and garish) outfits on harsh mannequins in their window! heehee

Hell since we're on this topic, what about dedicating a goodly part of Eastland as an "adults only" section of the mall......it might very well breathe some new life into the place~~

Swanky shoppes for people 18 and over, one after the other, carrying fine lingerie, films, toys, all the things found in adult shoppes:)

Maybe that might bring 'em in from all over and create more traffic! LOL

Eastland Mall needs to study the habits and trends that other malls across the nation have gone adapted to, to understand their next move. Unlike many other malls that are experiencing redevelopment pains, Eastland has lost almost all of it's suburban/mid-market traffic. Even some of the malls with specialty stores ranging from mostly urban to few lifestyle have still held on with their anchors. Maybe I'm off on this one, but Steven correct me if you have the answer.

RALEIGH SPRINGS MALL - MEMPHIS, TN

SOUTH DEKALB MALL - ATLANTA, GA

GREENBRIAR MALL - ATLANTA, GA

These malls seem to healthy.