Eastland Mall Redevelopment

DigitalSky

• 2 weeks later...

The Harris Teeter at Eastland is closed; a mostly vacant '70s-looking beige brick building, with traces of the former sign visible and a faded, discolored facade now greets people driving in from Sharon Amity Road and Central Avenue.

Lovely.

Before this, Eastland looked run down but not dying, but with a boarded up gas station or something on the corner of Sharon Amity and Central, and now a vacant HT very visible, it looks like a classic dying mall.

At least Eastland now has a new shadow anchor almost ready to open: AJ's Indoor Flea Market, in the abandoned Hannaford store:

http://www.ajsindoorfleamarket.com/Default01.asp?w=1

Maybe it's time to realize that Eatland is not going to have large crowds in the near future. Tear down the old HT, and convert some of the parking near it to a large parcel that can be redeveloped.

It's the acres of unused parking in addition to empty buildings, that make this look like a dying area. (Although at least it's not as bad as the Asian mall, in this respect.... that parking lot looks like something you'd expect to find behind an abandoned textile mill... :sick:)

Edited by MZT

The Harris Teeter at Eastland is closed; a mostly vacant '70s-looking beige brick building, with traces of the former sign visible and a faded, discolored facade now greets people driving in from Sharon Amity Road and Central Avenue.

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/9438032/detail.html

They report the NEW HT opening, but not this one closing... it's almost as if HT pays them what to say... :whistling:

And Eastland now has two new stores:

Belis- lower level, between the former Dillard's entrance and Fred's/Prime Time; belisusa.com; appears to be a Florida-based (?) chain.

World of Jewelry- lower level, between the former Dillard's entrance and Belk.

The mall is almost fully leased; the two main vacancies are the former HT and the lower level of Dillard's, which is still blocked off with those wooden barriers, now with suitcases, tools, etc. thrown on top.

My favorite store there is "Foot Fettish", which is misspelled.

Edited by mallguy

• 2 weeks later...

What is the likelihood of any of these anchors coming to Eastland Mall to fill a Belk or Dillards space.

Parisian

Belk

Steve & Barry's University Sportswear

Target

Bed Bath & Beyond

Dick's Sporting Goods

Bass Pro Shops

Kohl's

Costco

Steven, I'd like your opinion as well as others on what each one of these potential anchors and Jr. Anchors could mean for Eastland Mall and if they would come.

What is the likelihood of any of these anchors coming to Eastland Mall to fill a Belk or Dillards space.

Parisian

Belk

Target

Bed Bath & Beyond

Dick's Sporting Goods

Bass Pro Shops

Kohl's

Costco

Steven, I'd like your opinion as well as others on what each one of these potential anchors and Jr. Anchors could mean for Eastland Mall and if they would come.

Null. All those are suburban charlotte stores you won't find at Eastland... you'll find them in University, Northlake, Matthews or Pineville pretty much... There is 0 chance of any of those stores coming to Eastland, anytime soon at least, in my opinion. and you've got Belk on there as a potential to fill Belk's space so i thought that was funny.

Parisian

Belk

Target

Bed Bath & Beyond

Dick's Sporting Goods

Bass Pro Shops

Kohl's

Costco

Parisian - not likely at all.

Belk - already there and down to 1.33 floors.

Steve & Barry's University Sportswear - It would fit in, but it's not likely they'd come.

Target - I like this idea, but they're so deeply entrenched in the Charlotte suburbs it's unlikely

Bed Bath & Beyond - Another good idea, but they're probably not interested.

Dick's Sporting Goods - It could work.

Bass Pro Shops - there's one about 10 miles away from there alredy.

Kohl's - Another good choice, but the neighborhood's a lot more "ethnic" than they prefer.

Costco - I would presonally love to see this, but they already have a store fairly close to Eastland.

I wish Parisian would come to Charlotte- anywhere, but I don't see that happening, especially not to Eastland.

Maybe Ross Dress for Less for Eastland? Plus a Family Dollar?

Why not Steve & Barry's? Those stores seem to flock to low-end malls, and there is one at the Manhattan Mall in NYC, which seems to have a similar customer base to Eastland's.

Edited by mallguy

Ross Dress For Less was part of the plan, I don't know what happened with that. I don't know that Family Dollar would come with Fred's at Eastland already. Steve & Barry's don't go to "low end" malls as much as they do "small city" malls like Rock Hill Galleria

Edited by cantnot

How about DSW (?) Shoe Warehouse, TJ Maxx and More and those kinds of stores? Their demographics are potentially in line with Eastland's.

I think anything at the Manhattan Mall in NYC might come to Eastland; Manhattan Mall has Eastland-type demographics, but just a lot more foot traffic and thus higher sales per square foot, probably.

Edited by mallguy

Tonight on WBTV's 11:00 PM Newscast they had a report about gangs and how a store at Eastland Mall sells "gang gear"

Such gangs probably adopted some common item of clothing as their "signature." That's pretty much the way just about all gangs have done it in the past. I've never seen any gang launch its own clothing line specifically for its members.

After a trip to Eastland today, although Sears seems to stick around dying malls, the Eastland Sears was doing almost no business, even when the parking lot of the mall had a good number of cars in it and the Dillard's clearance center was doing well. Being at the back of the mall and being in the crosshairs of Target, Best Buy, etc. probably isn't helping Sears as a whole, but the Eastland store seems particularly in bad shape.

Seems as if the AJ's Flea Market is open now.

Do you think once Dillard's closes, Sears should relocate to the Dillard's location?

That would definitely help sales somewhat, I'd think. McAlister Square in Greenville, SC is a T-shaped mall, with the top of the T horizontal with a busy street in front; Belk's was at the back of the mall, at the base of the T, and Dillard's was in front of the busy street. The Dillard's closed and Belk's was still in a run-down store; the vacant Dillard's was probably a turn-off to some shoppers, and the Belk's was dead after that, in part because it was dumpy and in part because of its hidden location in a seemingly dying mall. The mall eventually went under. I think that the mall could have done better if the Belk's had relocated.

I wouldn't Eastland to have a McAlister Square-style death, although would Sears want to spend the money to move? Seems as if the Sears there doesn't do well at all anyhow.