Eastland Mall Redevelopment

DigitalSky

YUP.....and if a mall loses its Limited Brand stores....its reputation goes down the drain even further...
In this case, I don't know how much those stores closing will affect the mall other than from a empty square footage standpoint. Image-wise, a lot of shoppers have written the mall off, period, well before this.

In this case, I don't know how much those stores closing will affect the mall other than from a empty square footage standpoint. Image-wise, a lot of shoppers have written the mall off, period, well before this.

I'd think that the mall could re-fill those spaces- and isn't it just 3 stores: Express, Limited and Victoria's Secret? The mall is nearly fully leased; it just is full of low-rent stores.

That poor, downtrodden shopping center: less rent = less money available for fixing the place up!

Edited by mallguy

I'd think that the mall could re-fill those spaces- and isn't it just 3 stores: Express, Limited and Victoria's Secret? The mall is nearly fully leased; it just is full of low-rent stores.!
It'll be those three to leave if Limited starts to pulls out. Bath & Body Works and New York & Company will probably stay. They're hard to kill.

There's no doubt in my mind all those stores will be refilled, just not with anything familiar.

O9085829.JPG

What is this? It's the pic that comes up on the tax site for Eastland Mall.

It used to be a bank originally although I don't remember whose branch it was. I remember in the mid 90's it was a frozen yogurt and/or ice cream place. It may have been other things as well. I was at Eastland this past week and noticed the building was gone. It used to sit opposite the Firestone at the Central Ave / Redmann entrance.

Does anyone besides me get kinda depressed when they visit Eastland now... yeah, I understand the reasons behind its decline... but it just looks so tired and so worn now. For me, it was THE place to go back in the late 80's and early 90's.... This last trip I walked around and kept thinking over and over "Oh, I remember this used to be there, and this used to be there.... I used to come here and do this and that". I spent a good hour just walking around reminiscing.... Does anyone else do that? LOL :blush:

Every time I go there it leaves me sad... It's almost like watching and old friend dying from long, drawn-out illness. I just want to give Eastland a hug and say "We won't forget you, old friend...". :cry:

Edited by Datamastr

It used to be a bank originally although I don't remember whose branch it was. I remember in the mid 90's it was a frozen yogurt and/or ice cream place. It may have been other things as well. I was at Eastland this past week and noticed the building was gone. It used to sit opposite the Firestone at the Central Ave / Redmann entrance.

Does anyone besides me get kinda depressed when they visit Eastland now... yeah, I understand the reasons behind its decline... but it just looks so tired and so worn now. For me, it was THE place to go back in the late 80's and early 90's.... This last trip I walked around and kept thinking over and over "Oh, I remember this used to be there, and this used to be there.... I used to come here and do this and that". I spent a good hour just walking around reminiscing.... Does anyone else do that? LOL :blush:

Every time I go there it leaves me sad... It's almost like watching and old friend dying from long, drawn-out illness. I just want to give Eastland a hug and say "We won't forget you, old friend...". :cry:

I know how you feel. A Lot of memories at Eastland... and it is sad how it is dying a slow death

It does make me sad to see how that mall has fallen.

At least Eastland is still there; my favorite mall ever, Greenville Mall, is nearly completely empty and is facing the wrecking ball, after losing some great stores and leaving Greenville, SC with, in my view, inferior shopping. That's much worse and it was devastating to see it die.

• 4 weeks later...

To be expected, given the run-down state of the store.

Seems like the McAlister Square Belk in Greenville, SC that closed a few years ago. It looked almost identical to the Eastland Belk and was also in a mall that was in a less-affluent part of town than other Belk stores.

I'd expect Dillard's to soon follow suit.

This could mean the end, since some of the small stores in the mall could have clauses in their leases allowing them to close if the anchors shut down. When the McAlister Square Belk closed, Dillard's had closed a few years before but the small shops stuck around. Once Belk closed, there was a mass exodus from the mall; only a few small stores remained, even though the Upton's anchor was still there for a while more.

Edited by mallguy

I shopped at Belk-Eastland last week. I was surprised to see that they had shuttered almost 3/4 of the downstairs and had moved the Mens department upstairs. The former Mens clothing dept. had been sheetrocked with a hallway for elevator access. The beginning of the end?

The mall was a ghost town. I hate to see whats happening. I remember when Eastland was a destination, we used to drive from 80 miles away to shop there.

At least Eastland is still there; my favorite mall ever, Greenville Mall, is nearly completely empty and is facing the wrecking ball, after losing some great stores and leaving Greenville, SC with, in my view, inferior shopping. That's much worse and it was devastating to see it die.

The positive note is that all those Greenville Mall stores moved to either Haywood or Greenridge (except Parisian, which has now been purchased by Belk). Haywood, along with receiving this infusion of upscale stores from GV Mall, was able to bring in more upscale stores (Coach, etc) and with the remodel, now quite the destination. :thumbsup:

The Greenville Mall site is becoming a village of small stores / hotels / condos with some big box (Costco, etc) on one end of outparcels.

So hopefully Eastland going away will bring better things! :D

And the difference between Greenville Mall vs. Eastland is that Greenville Mall at least was in a thriving area; the mall just bombed but sat on valuable real estate, surrounded by thriving shopping centers. Eastland is in a deteriorating part of town, with low incomes in surrounding neighborhoods. To the extent that real estate developers seek areas with growing populations and rising incomes, the Eastland area's future isn't too bright.

McAlister Square on Pleasantburg Drive died in part because its location wasn't prime as residential and retail growth occurred elsewhere, but even Pleasantburg Drive is relatively upscale compared to the area around Eastland- with boarded-up gas stations, flea markets and the like around it.

Eastland just keeps slouching towards 'D' mall status....

Honestly, I think it will take a long time to close, though. The stores will just continue convert towards retail that is appropriate in that area. It may be thrift stores and Goodwill, but it will be something.

I've never believed that lots of people in the Eastland Mall area will 'go to' Northlake. Northlake is on the other side of the CBD and is not that close. It's more that, Northlake is near lots of poor people in northern and western Charlotte, and the "Eastland effect" may be repeated there.

I think most of the baggy pants kids loitering around Eastland now, will just find other hangouts in East Charlotte. They may even go farther east to the Target and the Wal-Mart.

Edited by MZT