Eastland Mall Redevelopment

DigitalSky

Maybe. It's a little easier to head straight down Lawyers road, than navigate around commuter taffic leaving the CBD and clogging up I-77.

But I kind of think as long as Eastland is open at all, it will have a food court and lots of cheap shoe and athletic wear... so the teens will keep going there.

Heck, someone might convert an empty anchor into a skate park to cater to them. I think there was a mall in California that did this.

Edited by MZT

I don't know if this mall is still busy like it was just a couple of years ago, but someone apparely pulled out a gun there this weekend and started firing into the air. It was the result of an argument.

I wonder if anyone even noticed. These seems to be a fairly routine occurance at Eastland.

It used to be a bank originally although I don't remember whose branch it was. I remember in the mid 90's it was a frozen yogurt and/or ice cream place. It may have been other things as well. I was at Eastland this past week and noticed the building was gone. It used to sit opposite the Firestone at the Central Ave / Redmann entrance.

Does anyone besides me get kinda depressed when they visit Eastland now... yeah, I understand the reasons behind its decline... but it just looks so tired and so worn now. For me, it was THE place to go back in the late 80's and early 90's.... This last trip I walked around and kept thinking over and over "Oh, I remember this used to be there, and this used to be there.... I used to come here and do this and that". I spent a good hour just walking around reminiscing.... Does anyone else do that? LOL :blush:

Every time I go there it leaves me sad... It's almost like watching and old friend dying from long, drawn-out illness. I just want to give Eastland a hug and say "We won't forget you, old friend...". :cry:

I hear ya on that one.....I used to hang out at that mall all the time growing up. I'm from Mint Hill and I spent a good chunk of change at the arcade near the underground entrance and at the Ice rink. I do remember going there and seeing fights which was entertaining sometimes just because we were like 13.....Everytime I smell a chlorine fountain, I think about all the water fountains that used to be in there.....so sad. I went with my mom a few months ago and went to order something at showmars and was like....where's the old fashioned pita, and looked up and it sure as hell wasn't a showmars.....that's when I knew that I would probably never go back to eastland....unless i need some cheap shoes!!!! :shades:

That bank looks like what Wachovia (pre First Union) was building in the 70s. There is a copy of it at Sugar Creek and Tryon in the old Kmart parking lot, but it has been painted and remodeled a bit. There is another one on Independence across the street from the Coliseum Shopping Center also closed up but not as badly altered.

I had the uh, pleasure... yesterday of hearing some youths on the Central Ave bus discussing things like "If someone gives you a gun you need to know if it's 'hot' (used in a crime)" - And what the jail space is like at the government center, gossip on various others they knew who had been robbed at gunpoint in the area (and on school grounds).

This area is really getting spooky.

I was at the mall today and there was a good crowd and even at least one store coming soon: Trendz Signature, near Prime Time.

Seems to me as if the customers in the department store anchors are disproportionately families, while those in the mall corridor are mainly youth. Maybe there is thus a future for mainstream retail there, if the mall still attracts some families who shop at Belk and the like and not just youth strolling the mall?

To me the Belk doesn't look as if it's on death's door, although perhaps the clearance sales, unstocked shelves, shorter hours and the like, which are all symptoms of a store about to be closed, will start after the holidays?

Directory from September, 2002:

Anchors and Major Stores

Belk

Dillard's

Sears

Apparel

Aeropostale

American Eagle

Ashley Stewart

After Hours FormalWear

Body Shop

Children's Place

Detour

Express

Fashion.com

Gingiss Formal Wear

Harold Pener's Man of Fashion

Lane Bryant

Lerner New York

Limited

Limited Too

Lim's Menswear

Milano Menswear

Rave

SIS Collection

Structure

Style Setter

Tantrum

Tantrum Signature

Victoria's Secret

Vilanto Menswear

Books, Cards, Gifts and Toys

AA Art & Gifts

Accents n' Gifts

Day by Day Calendars

Dynasty International

Hallmark Gold Crown Store

Kay Bee Toys

Papers & Paperbacks

Spencer's Gifts

Things Remembered

Waldenbooks

Customer Service

Guest Services

Mall Office

Electronic Specialty

Cebo Technology Communications- Nextel

Dell Computers

Electronics Boutique

Radio Shack

Wireless Shop

Wireless, Etc.

Wireless.Com

Food

A Different Twist

Bourbon Street Grille

Charley's Steakery

Chick-Fil-A

Chocolate Express

Cinnabon

Dairy Queen/Orange Julius Coming Soon...

Gadzooks

Great American Cookie

Great Wall Express

Harris Teeter

Hickory Farms

Le Cafe and Juice

Momotaro Japanese Restaurant

Sbarro's

Showmar's

General Merchandise

Dollar Tree

Originals

Wilsons Leather

Health and Beauty

Bath & Body Works

General Nutrition Co.

Hair Cuttery Salon

Lee Nails

Nature's RX

Premier Barbershop Coming Soon...

Regis Hairstylists

Victoria's Beauty

Vitamin World

Home Furnishings

Ada Gifts

Bombay Company

Brass Accents

Kirkland's

Jewelry and Accessories

All Tied Up!

Argento

Claire's Boutique

Crown Jewelers

Belk is leaving!!!

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/16241833.htm

"It was a tough decision to do this... it's reached a point where it doesn't make sense economically to continue to try to make it work," said Steve Pernotto, spokesman for the Charlotte-based department store chain. "The store is losing money now, and it's getting worse."

No word from my source or from Belk.

well we got the word.

Belk was the last original anchor left in the Mall. I wonder when Dillards and Sears will make similar moves?

Dillard's no doubt, but who knows how long Sears will hold on? IF they leave, they won't have any stores inside Charlotte city limits left.

Edited by cantnot

I still think the best solution to this sad state of affairs is to redevelop the mall and focus on the Hispanic community that surrounds it. Include ethnic stores,restaurants, and a square for festivals. Having a focal point for this growing segment of the community would also be a smart move socially and educationally. I think it could work.

I still think the best solution to this sad state of affairs is to redevelop the mall and focus on the Hispanic community that surrounds it. Include ethnic stores,restaurants, and a square for festivals. Having a focal point for this growing segment of the community would also be a smart move socially and educationally. I think it could work.

I concur with that thinking Voyager12. :thumbsup:

A2