Eastland Mall Redevelopment

DigitalSky

The Observer reported on Saturday that Eastland's traffic is up 12% since Thanksgiving, compared to the same period last year. Curious that Belk thus waited until this season to shut down.
The store has needed work for a while and it was starting to lose money. Belk wanted out several years ago (hence the stuck in 1988 decor and lack of investment in infrastructure) and tried to avoid looking like they were abandoning the mall by dangling Bridges at Mint Hill as the eventual replacement, playing it off as a logical business decision (debatable, but hey, not my company).

After Harris Teeter left Eastland, the stigma of local companies abandoning ship was broken. After Bridges got delayed, they couldn't call the closing a relocation. So they decided to make a break for it.

Still, it's probably for the best. The store lost its appeal for regional shoppers and it wasn't serving the local market very well.

The Observer reported on Saturday that Eastland's traffic is up 12% since Thanksgiving, compared to the same period last year. Curious that Belk thus waited until this season to shut down.

I didn't see the article, but what is always unclear about reports such as this is you don't know what it means. Sales it would appear are up every where so Eastland's numbers may still be a sign of a place holding on by a thread. What would be more informative would be to see the absolute numbers of these places to see how Eastland's relative importance to the other shopping venues is holding up.

Well, shortly before you posted that, there was a shooting inside the mall, injuring a shopper!

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/new...ws/16302576.htm

I'm just not sure how much more I can support the place.

You know, people joke about how "Go to Eastland, and get shot" but the unfortunate thing is that the frequency of this kind of thing happening is just absurd!!

Wow, that is the first time I have seen the inside of that mall in a decade or more. It brings back some memories and I am going to miss it somewhat. This 70's design Belk facade represents the pinnacle of mall development. Everything else that has come since, including SouthParks various renovations attempt to make turn malls into something they are not. Note that it hasn't changed since the mall opened in 1975. That in itself is remarkable for CLT.

Belk 1970s Facade

This 70's design Belk facade represents the pinnacle of mall development.

Belk 1970s Facade

From a design standpoint, the exterior of this store is excellent. It was a simpler design than the original Belk SouthPark, but it was just as effective, with the (I think) cool light fixtures lining the sidewalks and the chandeliers under the tinted glass porticos.

If anyone here has not shopped Dillards/Eastland you have got to check it out. I just bought $205 worth of clothes for $11.80. Turnbury, Cremieux, Kors, unreal. I also did lots of Xmas shopping before the holidays. Great deals.

I cant say as much for Belk, they still have a fair amount of mens clothes. Housewares is pretty much picked over.

There were a fair amount of people in the mall today, especially Belk.

Chic-Fil-A is history, they were taking out equipment when I was there.

If anyone here has not shopped Dillards/Eastland you have got to check it out. I just bought $205 worth of clothes for $11.80. Turnbury, Cremieux, Kors, unreal. I also did lots of Xmas shopping before the holidays. Great deals.

I have been saying that for ages to my friends- it is really an excellent place!

No hope for that mall if even Chick-fil-A has closed!

I ate at Sbarros the last time I visited the mall back in 2001, does it appear to still be hanging strong?

Yes it's still there but a mall in the South that loses a Chick-fil-A and a Belk's has no hope at all!

That's like Fifth Avenue and its side streets losing Saks, L&T, Bergdorf's and the 21 Club!

The wisecracks about "mostly golfer clothing" remaining at the Belk are unfortunately mostly true. Lots of plaid IZOD and Polo shirts, etc. Yuck.

The Dillard's looks really sad. I think they're even keeping the lighting down to pinch pennies. That place is clearly just paddling along until lease end.

Edited by MZT

They were using the whole store up until a few months ago. I guess it wasn't doing good enough numbers.

Perhaps the upgrade of the escalator barriers from file cabinets with boxes and hardware thrown on top of them to boards nailed together is an upscaling of the store?

That Dillard's clearance center always seems to have a decent number of people in it, and the deals are amazing. Although the store clerks have insisted that the store will be around for the long haul, I'd guess a moderate level of sales activity- at severely discounted prices- isn't enough to keep a store going, though, as those clearance centers seem to last generally only a year or two?