Eastland Mall Redevelopment

DigitalSky

Funny that Belk is taking part in the revitalization efforts; I'd guess the chain just wants to see the mall's value increase so it can get a better sale price for its vacant anchor store.
It is rather ironic. Maybe they signed on before they made the decision to close and they're trying to shore up their PR in the neighborhood.

I think the findings this panel comes up with will be a key indicator of the current/future trends of this whole area, and I am a little surprised they are only spending a week on the study. You have city government, a non-profit organization, a real estate company, and a department store trying to put this study together, and I think it will be surprising if all four entities can even be on the same page by Thurs. let alone have any sort of viable solutions.

I think the findings this panel comes up with will be a key indicator of the current/future trends of this whole area, and I am a little surprised they are only spending a week on the study. You have city government, a non-profit organization, a real estate company, and a department store trying to put this study together, and I think it will be surprising if all four entities can even be on the same page by Thurs. let alone have any sort of viable solutions.

I don't hold out much for this group's success because Eastland isn't East Charlotte's problem. It's a symptom of a problem that nobody wants to address or even talk about.

...won't solve any of the area's proiblems. There are still consumers to be served and a community that needs a center of activity. A vacant lot does nothing to help.

True but a mall that is losing money does not provide an incentive to invest in it, and it's already so run down that eventually it will just rot and be even more of a slum than it already is. A blighted mall might be a disincentive for other businesses and people to come to the neighborhood.

Sidenote: has anyone else noticed an odd smell throughout the mall? I don't know what it is, but it just smells dirty!

True but a mall that is losing money does not provide an incentive to invest in it, and it's already so run down that eventually it will just rot and be even more of a slum than it already is. A blighted mall might be a disincentive for other businesses and people to come to the neighborhood.
I'm not saying that the mall building should stay regardless of how the neighborhood turns. If it's outlived its usefullness, then it has to go. But demolition is not the solution to that neighborhood's problems. If Eastland Mall goes, something needs to take its place that promotes a healthy community.

I'm not saying that the mall building should stay regardless of how the neighborhood turns. If it's outlived its usefullness, then it has to go. But demolition is not the solution to that neighborhood's problems. If Eastland Mall goes, something needs to take its place that promotes a healthy community.

Agreed. We're on the same page.

I see Eastland being largely converted into C-grade office space or classroom space or the like, with some retail remaining.

Sidenote: if the mall gets converted into residential space, as some are contemplating based on that press release, those chandeliers at Belk's sure would be stylin' in the entrance to somebody's pad!

I love the site....I know the neighborhood is rough now, but this is one of my favorite sites for redevelopment. Over time (and once the streetcar is FINALLY built) I think this could become a high-density node with condo towers and office buildings with a lot of neighborhood and some destination retail. Call my crazy, but it COULD happen....I doubt it will, because I don't think any developer with the resources to make it happen would take the risk.

altrvr, I actually had a dream about the redevelopment of this area - with 5 and 6 story residential buildings surrounding a large park, and the street car running through the middle. I'm with you on this being a really cool place to redevelop; all the way down Central into center city. And while they are dreams, altrvr, that's at least a starting point.

I don't know what Glimcher expects to get for the mall. $40M is sticking in my head as their asking $, but I doubt they could get it.....also, the anchors would have to sell their sites too.........according to the tax records, the whole site, including all anchors, the old HT, and the old Hannoford, as well as the outparcels near the corner of Central and Sharon Amity are appraised for a total value of $42M....I think another $8M would demolish, remediate and grade the land....so $50M for about 90 acres of land in prepped condition.....those prices don't demand extreme density. Certainly mid-rise condos and apartments, with ground floor retail and a little bit of office would more than justify that land price....it's just a matter of demand. The buildout would probably be too long to entice anyone, but if someone came in with a lot of cash and could get a lot going at once on spec., there could be enough momentum to get it built out quickly.

As far a final number, the site would need about $250-$300M in new development to be profitabale in my opinion. (and someone willing to champion the assemblage of all those parcels...the city maybe?)

Sidenote: if the mall gets converted into residential space, as some are contemplating based on that press release, those chandeliers at Belk's sure would be stylin' in the entrance to somebody's pad!
The chandeliers at Belk Eastland are what I'll miss the most. In the last few years, just about all the old Belk chandeliers have disappeared, which is a shame/

I think there needs to be a two-pronged effort if they plan on revitalizing the East side area. If you soley demolish the mall and build new park space and housing, you are essentially building an island. They need to jointly work on this project and further the progress of center city working outward down Central Ave., including what I think would be a huge benefit, streetcar service. It is starting to move that direction with places like Central 27 and the likes, but just past Plaza through Eastway on up to Eastland Mall is a rather high crime area.

The verdict?: Tear it down

No big surprise there. The only question is if it does get re-imagined: What mall is the next Eastland?

So just like everything else "old" in Charlotte, it too will be torn down. And rebuilt as a town center. And renamed?

I reccomend people get pics of this place as it is in its final days, and visit it if you haven't yet or in recent years...

As far as the next "eastland," well that may becoming obvious already. Interestingly the mayor called the area around it a "corridor of crap."

A crime-ridden, run-down mall that is losing its anchors and is in the midst of a "corridor of crap" has no hope. However, I still don't see anyone pouring tens of millions of dollars into the site without government intervention.

Dead McAlister Square in Greenville, SC (now community college space, mostly), and a low-end strip mall across the street, Pleasantburg Shopping Center, have also had a similar plan drawn up to redevelop the sites as educational/residential/retail space (available at pleasantburgdrive.org), to no avail, other than some updates to the community college parts of the mall. The surrounding area is starting to bounce back, though- and has been much better than the Eastland area is today.

I'd thus be optimistic to see any of this development coming to fruition, other than eventual demolition of Eastland when all of its anchors leave (and looks as if Sears is staying for now).

In Eastland's defense: well, most every other mall of the 1970s was a cheaply-built beige box in the midst of asphalt and cheap strip malls!

Edited by mallguy

The verdict?: Tear it down
It took that many people to make that decision??!! :huh: C'mon!

Despite the glossy presentation and all-star panel, I don't think anyone involved was looking to come away with another alternative to complete demolition.

So just like everything else "old" in Charlotte, it too will be torn down. And rebuilt as a town center. And renamed?
Yep. It's yet another another vague, "town center" plan. Developers and new-urbanists spit them out like malls were assembly-lined a generation ago. The concept is okay if it's actually connected to a sustainable community, but the project overview suggests a generic solution to a specific problem.

In Eastland's defense: well, most every other mall of the 1970s was a cheaply-built beige box in the midst of asphalt and cheap strip malls!
Very true. But it's out of fashion, so the development community feels entitled to poo-poo on it like they did to downtowns back in the day.