Eastland Mall Redevelopment

DigitalSky

wow even Radio Shack closed? Isn't it usually a tie between them and GNC for "Last Chain to Leave a Dying Mall"?

Yes, plus a locally-owned store next to it (I think a men's clothing store) shut down. GNC is still there in its 1970s splendor.

I used to think that this mall had a future, with mom and pop stores filling all of the empty spaces, but now even they're closing.

I used to think that this mall had a future, with mom and pop stores filling all of the empty spaces, but now even they're closing.
The problem was that most of the replacement stores sold almost exactly the same thing. How many urban clothing stores can one mall support? Edited by StevenRocks

The problem was that most of the replacement stores sold almost exactly the same thing. How many urban clothing stores can one mall support?

True and Steven, what's your prognosis for our dying mall? I see that Century Plaza in Birmingham, also anchored only by a closing Sears, has been shut down for good. Same fate for Eastland?

True and Steven, what's your prognosis for our dying mall? I see that Century Plaza in Birmingham, also anchored only by a closing Sears, has been shut down for good. Same fate for Eastland?
Without a replacement anchor, Eastland will likely close within the next two years.

• 2 weeks later...

Unless a Walmart spontaneously appears in an anchor pad, this is probably the end of the relevant retail history of Eastland Mall.

It will not- the nearest Wal-Mart is potentially moving to Independence Boulevard, further away.

Eastland still has a Burlington Coat Factory- since that chain seems to locate in dying malls, does it typically have a clause allowing it to break the lease pretty easily?

Eastland still has a Burlington Coat Factory- since that chain seems to locate in dying malls, does it typically have a clause allowing it to break the lease pretty easily?
Most retail anchor store leases have an 'escape clause,' but even if they didn't, I can't see Burlington Coat Factory being a strong enough anchor to keep Eastland's lights on.

Most retail anchor store leases have an 'escape clause,' but even if they didn't, I can't see Burlington Coat Factory being a strong enough anchor to keep Eastland's lights on.

Agreed and it's invisible from every approach to the mall, other than Reddman Rd. All most prospective shoppers will see is the abandoned gas station on Central Ave. and now the closed Belk and Dillard's stores plus that horrid sun logo.

Sad, as I recall going to Eastland in 1991 and it was fine, and in 2005 when I went again it was totally run-down but it still had 3 full-line anchors and a good mix of national chains (but was rough by then).

Yeah, Burlington is not enough for Eastland. I see why people did not go there. When I came to SouthPark from Concord, my GPS took me though Sugar Creek and Albemarle Road, so I understand why people are afraid to go there. Also, one reason why it probably did not do well is because it is not near an interstate. I mean they could go to Carolina Place for a regular mall. I understand for SouthPark because it is unique. I am not so "elite", I am just tired of seeing the same stuff everywere. It is annoying to go to malls and see exactly the same stuff as other malls (Sort of like CP and NL). The more upscale middle class stores are okay even if you see them at other malls (Abercrombie & Fitch, Pottery Barn, Banana Republic, Willams-Sonoma, etc.). Its just so annoying to see the same store in every mall in the city. So, being unique is good.

One could write a book on what went wrong at Eastland and still have reasons to spare. The biggest thing, I think, is that it was built for a market that simply wasn't there.

East Charlotte was predicted to be a middle class Mecca that would need a mall for community shopping. The idea of a regional mall came about because Belk and JCPenney wanted large suburban outposts for their stores. The mall opened and thrived on its uniqueness for about fifteen years, then the market fell out for both real estate and regional malls.

Eastland was on an isolated site with a waning concept in an increasingly poor neighborhood. With SouthPark, Carolina Place, and Northlake capturing the mall shoppers, Eastland fell into discount mode and eroded further.

Had steps been taken years ago to revitalize the mall, the neighborhood around it or to increase accessibility, Eastland could have been like Prince Georges Plaza in Maryland, an urban mall with a solid shopper base and a mix of conventional and unconventional tenants. Instead, everyone involved stayed in denial until it was too late. This mall can't be saved in its current form.

I'm saddened to see the end of this mall, but I am hopeful that whatever replaces it, even if it's not on this site, will be able to learn from the mistakes made and give the community a sustainable anchor.

Edited by StevenRocks

Poor mall- StevenRocks, what's your prognosis? I did real estate finance for a few years but never worked with distressed properties, and nearly all of the failed malls I know of have been redeveloped or adapted to other uses, so there was a new life for them. For Eastland, given its abysmal location, I don't see anybody itching to use it as a college or office space or a big-box center; I'd assume that it would just be truly dead unless the city of Charlotte does something with it, and that could be years away. Can Glimcher just abandon it?

Poor mall- StevenRocks, what's your prognosis? I did real estate finance for a few years but never worked with distressed properties, and nearly all of the failed malls I know of have been redeveloped or adapted to other uses, so there was a new life for them. For Eastland, given its abysmal location, I don't see anybody itching to use it as a college or office space or a big-box center; I'd assume that it would just be truly dead unless the city of Charlotte does something with it, and that could be years away. Can Glimcher just abandon it?
I'm no developer, but I think there is a place for a community shopping center at the intersection of Sharon Amity and Central, roughly on the old Harris Teeter and Shell sites. I'd raze the 'back 40' and see if there were any takers from the land.

It will not- the nearest Wal-Mart is potentially moving to Independence Boulevard, further away.

Not all malls that have Burlington Coat Factory are not dead-Crossgates in Albany is very healthy and has one, but a lot of dying malls do have them, just not absolutly all of them are located in those types of malls.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

WOW THIS IS UGLY!!! Glimcher bought a mall from the Richard E. Jacobs Group a few years back that shared the same name with the Charlotte Eastland Mall, but with a different makeup altogether. Now that Eastland is considered the redheaded stepchild; EastlandMall.com now points you towards the Columbus, Ohio Shopping Center. Eastland Mall of Charlotte is nolonger owned by Glimcher, but rather managed and their new website is

http://eastlandnc.mallfinder.com/

Edited by xyhamiltonboi

What do you think of the city plan to buy the mall at $50 mil and shop for someone to redevelop it? Sounds risky. http://www.charlotteobserver.com/topstorie...ory/978675.html

I don't know, they've tried so many other things but everything so far seems to have dead ended. It certainly has sparked a heated debate on the Observer's site though (no surprise)

I think the City has more of a vested interest in seeing the site redeveloped than a typical buyer would. At the end of the day, the city could buy the property at a bargain basement price and facilitate a redevelopment that could reinvigorate the entire eastside. No one blinks at spending this kind of money in downtown if you think about it.