Eastland Mall Redevelopment

DigitalSky

I can't see this place lasting for long without anchors. Then again, Mondawmin Mall in Baltimore lasted nearly 35 years after Sears left with no large anchors.

The mall directory online (http://eastlandnc.mallfinder.com) shows a pretty good range of in-line tenants- is it current? The mall also had plenty of foot traffic (literally) the last time I was there. I agree with you.

With Burlington closing I don't see how it is economically feasible for any small store to stay in business there. Am I incorrect in assume that all mall tenants contribute to the building's operation costs (security, utilities, property tax)? If so, I can't imagine the small stores being able to shoulder the costs alone.

With Burlington closing I don't see how it is economically feasible for any small store to stay in business there. Am I incorrect in assume that all mall tenants contribute to the building's operation costs (security, utilities, property tax)? If so, I can't imagine the small stores being able to shoulder the costs alone.

I agree with you- and as the mall was losing money when Glimcher owned it, the small stores + the then-anchors weren't paying enough to keep it afloat.

StevenRocks, how in the world did Mondawin Mall in Baltimore survive for 35 years without anchors yet remain over 90% leased (as I read) and finally got an anchor back- a Target?

This place can't even keep BCF, things must be in horrid shape. I will be very, very surprised if Eastland makes it to the end (heck, middle) of 2010. Over 1 million square feet GLA and all that is going to soon be in there is around 50 stores and a church in the old movie theater.

It's time for this one to go.

Edited by perrykat

Any new tenant changes/mall announcements since Coat Factory said they were closing? I imagine a store closing sale has been underway?

This is going to be interesting to watch. I'm curious to see how management plans to keep the mall in operation - usually when the last anchor goes, the rest of the mall goes along with it right after.

Hah! Very true....most recent article I can find regarding Eastland Mall:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/03/12/1309875/did-city-ruin-future-hope-for.html

That link still lists several in-line tenants (if it's up to date), but when Burlington leaves they probably will as well. This mall has died such a horrible death.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Finally! Eastland has had one slow agonizing death. GOOD RIDDANCE!

Yeah it really is a shame what happened to it, never been to it myself (passed by it once and that was scary enough), it's heyday was long before my time. It's a good study about what poor planning etc does to an area. :shades:

Isn't the area around Eastland known for it's high crime? Because of that, I must assume many many criminals live in the neighborhoods ringing Eastland.

In the future, if the mall area is used as a mass transit staging area, wouldn't that give the local criminals easy access to the rest of the city?

I remember back in early 2002 I almost got a job at the Dillards in Eastland and almost moved into an apt complex a couple of blocks away. Back then the mall had all it's dept store anchors and I remember thinking that the outside was ancient but the inside wasn't that bad. It kind of resembled the defunct South Square Mall in Durham a bit to me. I remember Eastland having Gap and American Eagle among typical mid market stores and the food court had the typical Sbarros/Chick Fil A. The apt complex I looked at really wasn't bad, had a pool/clubhouse, looked to have been built in the early '90s and I didnt feel in danger while touring the property. I ended up changing my mind and moved up to MA instead but I sometimes have to wonder about what could have been...

Edited by NCMike1981

I remember Eastland having Gap and American Eagle among typical mid market stores and the food court had the typical Sbarros/Chick Fil A.

Where was the Gap- upstairs near Belk? Where was the Sbarro?

What else was there? I recall the slew of Limited-related stores upstairs near Belk, a Bombay Co., American Eagle

and Things Remembered up near Dillard's but the other typical mall stores were long-gone when I went there in 2005 for the first time since 1991.

I would argue, on behalf of Eastland and most of its area residents, that it was more the "perception of crime" that plagued it than the actual amount of crime itself.

though i haven't lived there, i am inclined to agree. i go to the area somewhat often for the awesome authentic hispanic and asian restaurants in the area, and never felt like it was anywhere near as bad as its made out to be.

public opinion on these kinds of things can tend to snowball out of control, especially when the most vocal detractors seem to be suburbanites on the outside looking in.