Eastland Mall Redevelopment

DigitalSky

East Charlotte has two dead malls that have mostly occupied strip centers with regular (though low-priced) national chains in them- Eastland has the Walmart strip center nearby plus plenty of smaller strip centers, and Northpark Mall on N. Tryon is dead but has a reasonably successful strip center next door. No way would I invest money in the Eastland area, but there is a need for retail there, and strip centers are helping meet that need, so maybe there is demand for a big-box center. As posted above, Walmart is opening a new big-box store nearby and there is a Target close by, so they may suck the life out of any competitors on the Eastland site.

• 10 months later...

Any updates on efforts to revitalize the mall and/or property?

I'm not sure if this is new or not, but Boxer Properties' website has a list of available units for lease. So perhaps they're waiting for more tenants to get on board, before they (possibly) reopen?

http://www.boxerprop...prop=191&page=1

Lastly, this got me thinking; should Boxer try to go after the displaced retailers from the Independence Blvd corridor, to set up shop at Eastland? If they could get some of the local businesses, and other big name businesses like TJ Maxx and Roses, I wonder if it'll be enough to get the mall up and running for reopening day. And even though they don't have the rights to the anchor stores, they should try to get the original owners to lease out their space, and maybe bring in some retailers in like Ross and Office Depot.

Wishful thinking, though.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

John Autry, city council member of this area, wants the city to be more active in finding another potential buyer for Eastland Mall. He'd also like to hear creative ideas from these buyers on what they would do with this area. Hopefully we'll hear something soon from someone. I think the Eastland Mall area, being the future terminus for the streetcar, should have some sort of interesting attraction built here, instead of giant dead box.

http://www.wsoctv.co...and-mall/nN3Qj/

• 4 weeks later...

I live in Nashville (former Charlottean) near what at one time was a very popular mall called Hickory Hollow. The final nails in the coffin came this year. Sears and Macy's closed. Dillards and Penny's left several years ago. The area gained a bad reputation as being full of crime. Some truth, but any crime that happened in the entire area called Antioch, which is quite large, seemed to mean the mall which was simply not true. Antioch, to me, is probably the most ethnically diverse area of the county. That scares white people. The last of the retailers have been evicted and will be out at the end of the month. Anyhow the city is actively trying to revitalize/rebrand the mall. The J.C. Penney store will become a branch of the library and a small park. I believe that construction has started. One of the other depatrment stores (Dillards I believe) will become a satellite campus of the community college. They have purchased it, but I don't think construction has started. A community center has been talked about, but I've heard nothing substantial about that. Also, I have heard that some company has been interested in one of the other department stores to convert it to a call center. So non retail business would be present as well. I have high hopes that this works. I believe the idea being the non department stores would return as small retail stores, so there would still be shopping and of course the food court would open back up to cater to the stores, library and school. Is Charlotte looking at reusing the Eastland mall or is demolition the only option?

This is the second mall to be revitalized here. 100 Oaks, which was probably half the size of Hickory Hollow, has become an outpatient clinic for Vanderbilt Hospital as the anchor. The exterior was remodeled and there is a nice selection of stores. No large department stores. The surrounding area has also started sprucing up and getting new restaurants. I would count this as a success.

Is there really any hope for Eastland?

• 1 month later...

What a joke. My favorite line from that article...

“The tax base is dropping so badly on the east side, “ he said. “That mall was a $150 million asset not too many years ago. Now that whole side of town is being brought down by the failure of the mall.”

Yeah, THE MALL is the reason land value is decreasing...

The city does not need to own anything else.

So did the plaza fiesta people give up on it as a latin mall?

I tend to think the city is not really able to help. They want a bandaid fix but really it is the failure of the 70s suburban neighborhoods on a giant swath of town around Eastland. Even if another creative non-retail use is discovered, it will probably end up being an uphill battle for public funds.

Regardless, if it is inevitable for them to buy it, I seriously hope they do not overpay.

• Like 1

Could the city not use this property for education? There is plenty of opportunity for another magnet school complex or a satellite for CPCC. You want to change an area, change the focus. Yes, it would take a leap of faith for a college to accept the area, but why not be a catalyst? People are talking about film industry space, why not pursue film or art schools? Education doesn't have to be the solution, there are so many possibilities outside of retail. I really don't understand the city's tunnel vision on this one. They are wanting a hub; but imo, retail isn't the answer.

They could remake Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Dawn of the Dead (again), or any of the other awesome 70's/80's movies set in shopping malls!! Mallrats 2!

I, for one, love tragic 70's architecture. There's just something so creepy about it. I could have a lot of fun making a movie in an abandoned shopping mall. (Yes, I understand they would renovate/rebuild it if they were to use it as studios).

While I agree that it's not worth saving^, I also don't think that that location is worth buying for $13.2 million dollars and then demolishing for sale of the land. We would lose beaucoup dollars.

I think it is a good idea on what the city is doing here. What they're trying to do is consolidate the entire property to just one owner. As it stands now, Eastland Mall is divided into several different parcels, owned by a bunch of different owners, making the property extremely hard to sell to a potential buyer. I have a good feeling that if the city purchases the property, placing the ownership under just one management, it will be easier for a developer to come along and buy the property from the city. I also get the feeling the reason the city is pursuing this purchase, is because there might be some potential buyers on the side that want to own that area, but wants the process to be easier by having to only buy one parcel, instead of several smaller ones.

^If that was the case and it made sense to buy, let a private firm purchase all the parcels and then sell it to said buyer. Unfortunately the city of Charlotte has taken on this mantra that if the private sector won't touch a project with a 10 foot pole, the CITY should buy it and take the loss.

Spending $13.2 million dollars to buy a dead mall and then probably sell it for a loss should be so far down on the city's priorities it's not even funny.

Could the city not use this property for education? There is plenty of opportunity for another magnet school complex or a satellite for CPCC. You want to change an area, change the focus. Yes, it would take a leap of faith for a college to accept the area, but why not be a catalyst? People are talking about film industry space, why not pursue film or art schools? Education doesn't have to be the solution, there are so many possibilities outside of retail. I really don't understand the city's tunnel vision on this one. They are wanting a hub; but imo, retail isn't the answer.

That'd too political, and then some will argue it's not the city's duties to dwell into education as that is a county function.

Edited by Shawn&Zae

^If that was the case and it made sense to buy, let a private firm purchase all the parcels and then sell it to said buyer. Unfortunately the city of Charlotte has taken on this mantra that if the private sector won't touch a project with a 10 foot pole, the CITY should buy it and take the loss.

Spending $13.2 million dollars to buy a dead mall and then probably sell it for a loss should be so far down on the city's priorities it's not even funny.

I agree with you 100%.

There is absolutely no reason why a private developer cannot buy all of it. One broker has already put everything together in one deal. If there is any commercial viability in the site, a private owner will come forward. If there is none, then it should be condemned. Belk, Dillard's, Boxer Properties, etc. can all pay for the demolition. Not Charlotte taxpayers.